Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 16:44   #16

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Big Vibration with New Engine ?

It is possible the mounts are too soft. Even new mounts of the wrong type can allow the engine to get into a harmonic oscillation really shaking the boat. I think more information is needed to figure it out but I would agree with the other posters and hold the money till the yard figures it out and makes it right. My experience dealing with Volvo is they are never wrong even as the engine is melting down and smoke and sparks are coming from it they refuse to admit it is anything wrong with THEIR motor! (I swear they said that on a new boat sea trial as the engine flew apart! They did give the guy a new motor in the end lol)
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 16:48   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Shot in the dark - resonance?

Edit: sailvayu beat me to it so what he said
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 16:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Misallignment issue, tranny to shaft coupling needs to be within .005 thousands of an inch and can be a very painstaking process that requires considerable time and patience to get right. Motor mounts should be changed out as GP as part of the repower. Run the motor at in gear at the slip and grab the shaft with your hand and you will feel distinct wobble if there is a problem with adjustment. I don't understand the term agent but who ever did the work should not be paid until the job is made right. The other issue is you don't want to run the motor like this to long as you can damage the tranny.
How would a misaligned tranny to prop shaft coupling result in vibration out of gear? It won't. Misaligned engine to gearbox might.

Won't grabbing the shaft with your hand while it's turning be both painful and possibly crippling?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 16:54   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's very likely the issue that is making it shake out of gear is still there when it is in gear just not noticable because the trans is firming the engine as it backs the torque against the trans. While it's impossible to diagnose over the Internet I'd suspect bad motor mount set up.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
A friend of mine has just repowered his Beneteau 34.5 with a new 30 hp Volvo engine, done by the Volvo agent at Lake Macquarie. The engine is the same size as the previous Volvo and is of the model recommended by the agent. He has paid for the engine but not the labour for the fitting of it. The driveline has a massive vibration and is jumping all over the place when it is in neutral but when he selects forward or reverse it settles down and is quite normal. The agent has suggested he take it (& pay for it) because it should settle down after about 20 hours. He and I think not. It has had new mounts and the agent can't find the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?

Greg
Unless the agent can suggest a convincing mechanism whereby a vibrating engine will get better after 20 hours, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Sounds like the kind of thing a less scrupulous car salesman would say.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:19   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Does the vibration clear as you ease up the throttle? If so you really need to use a photo tach or hand held mechanical one to set the correct Idle and while at it correct the panel tachometer.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:08   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Idle set too low
Misfiring Cylinder(s)
Wrong motor mounts
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 22:16   #23

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Well here's the answer.

The Volvo dealer upped the idle speed by 50 RPM this morning and the problem has gone. The owner did tell me that they set it at 850 RPM which was factory specification. However they've had to set it at 900 RPM so maybe the motor is a bit tight or whatever. I'm still amazed that the authorised Volvo dealer wants you to drive away when they know it's not right and all for a simple adjustment. I also let my friend know that if he joins CF he can have all this wisdom for free. Thanks everybody.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 23:29   #24

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
The driveline has a massive vibration and is jumping all over the place when it is in neutral but when he selects forward or reverse it settles down and is quite normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?
Greg,

All diesel engines that I have seen vibrate at idle and then smooth out with a change in RPM, or a change in load. "Massive" is not really quantitative and there is no way for anyone to legitimately help you with your question, other than to advise your friend that if he feels something is wrong to seek a second opinion from an expert diesel mechanic.

Hope this helps,

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 03:49   #25

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:

Originally Posted by svBeBe
You guys are way too funny.

Do you think that CF is the only place to meet "experts?"

10 years ago there were other places, as there are other places today.

And, yes, 10 years ago, like I said in my original post, I was convinced the advice I got on a similar forum/group was genuine. It was not!

I hope that some of the virgins reading this thread will learn something from what I have said...but be careful virgins because I could be the person misinforming!

Bill
End quote

Sounds like it could be a costly problem, probably a good idea to pay an expert to look at it, rather than solicit input from a free forum.

Paul
Old 17-10-2011, 05:15   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
How would a misaligned tranny to prop shaft coupling result in vibration out of gear? It won't. Misaligned engine to gearbox might.

Sorry, I missed the "Neutral" in the post.

Won't grabbing the shaft with your hand while it's turning be both painful and possibly crippling?
No, just did this last week as a final check to confirm allignment on a new installation after the boat was cruised under load, your hand will be very sensitive to potential problems. Maybe grab was the wrong word, more like grasp.
Old 17-10-2011, 05:35   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
No, just did this last week as a final check to confirm allignment on a new installation after the boat was cruised under load, your hand will be very sensitive to potential problems. Maybe grab was the wrong word, more like grasp.
don,t try this if wearing a neck tie..........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:26   #28

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Misallignment issue, tranny to shaft coupling needs to be within .005 thousands of an inch
he says it is jumping around in neutral, so this coupling wont be spinning
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:50   #29

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Sounds like it could be a costly problem, probably a good idea to pay an expert to look at it, rather than solicit input from a free forum.

Paul
[/QUOTE]

My experience here is that there a lot of experts that help (for free) and that is as good or better than one paid "expert".
Old 17-10-2011, 09:12   #30

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Paul
My experience here is that there a lot of experts that help (for free) and that is as good or better than one paid "expert".[/QUOTE]

I agree totally.

Tags
engine