Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 02:18   #31

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Re: Bilge Pump Running But Not Pumping

Had same problem. The pump hasn't run for weeks because of insufficient water in the bilge. I hit the float switch just to clear the whatever water that was there. Pump ran but no discharge. turned out check valve was stuck shuck. Valve was 10 + years old so time for replacement anyway. Something you never think of checking until a failure.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:29   #32

Boat: Cal 39 MII Tall

No one has mentioned the possibility of an air lock in the discharge hose. My boat has a similar problem that I haven't had a chance to look into, but I assume that I installed the hose badly. Perhaps there is a dip in the hose on the way to the overboard. Perhaps the anti-siphon loop isn't high enough? Going to do discovery soon, but I have assumed the problem is airlock.
sssprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:39   #33

Boat: Cal 39 MII Tall

Whoops, I see airlock has been mentioned. I'm just going to slink back to my lurking cave...
sssprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:47   #34

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssprinkle View Post
Whoops, I see airlock has been mentioned. I'm just going to slink back to my lurking cave...
No slinking needed. Every input is appreciated.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:05   #35

I worked on one motorboat where the bilge pump had burned out. Replaced the pump, new one ran fine, but water not draining. Removed pump, tried it in a bucket with a short hose, pumped like gangbusters.

So, I got a waterhose from the dock, pushed the hose nozzle into the discharge hose's pump end, and gave a couple of shots of pressurized water. There was a PTOO! at the other end (transom) and the hose ran free. Re-installed new pump and it was fine.

So in this case, it seems the discharge hose got plugged by marine growth I believe, and that blockage burned out the original bilge pump.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I worked on one motorboat where the bilge pump had burned out. Replaced the pump, new one ran fine, but water not draining. Removed pump, tried it in a bucket with a short hose, pumped like gangbusters.

So, I got a waterhose from the dock, pushed the hose nozzle into the discharge hose's pump end, and gave a couple of shots of pressurized water. There was a PTOO! at the other end (transom) and the hose ran free. Re-installed new pump and it was fine.

So in this case, it seems the discharge hose got plugged by marine growth I believe, and that blockage burned out the original bilge pump.
Wow, that's one I never thought of!
Old 21-09-2017, 07:51   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I came back home from evacuating for Irma & my Whale Supersub was running but not pumping. I jerked on the hose & it started pumping. Any idea what would cause this?
I bought 2 of the Supersubs .
The first failed on automatic within three months . I had to put a manual switch in . The second failed completely within six months .
I also had the problem with pump running but no suction . Shaking the pipe made it run but I had to do it many times over the months . Could no longer trust them so changed for different make .
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
I bought 2 of the Supersubs .
The first failed on automatic within three months . I had to put a manual switch in . The second failed completely within six months .
I also had the problem with pump running but no suction . Shaking the pipe made it run but I had to do it many times over the months . Could no longer trust them so changed for different make .
Thanks for the response. What pump did you change to & how's it worked out? This is also my second supersub. The motor on the first one locked up after about a year. It's great that they designed a pump that would fit a narrow bilge but only if it's reliable.
I've had a bunch of storm clean-up to do on top of getting caught up on work so haven't had a chance to mess with this but I'll get to it this weekend.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:10   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mine does this with cat fur.
oopsy
i had to change out my flapper switch once--about a week after purchase and install it quit oopsy..... the old mercury ones were so much more reliable (yes i still have one intstalled and functional )
donot place anti backflow valves/traps in line. they fail.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:39   #40

Quote:
Thanks for the response. What pump did you change to & how's it worked out? This is also my second supersub. The motor on the first one locked up after about a year. It's great that they designed a pump that would fit a narrow bilge but only if it's reliable.
I've had a bunch of storm clean-up to do on top of getting caught up on work so haven't had a chance to mess with this but I'll get to it this weekend.
I changed to cheap Rule copies from China for a third of the price .
They've been working for a year now with no worries at all . Much better with the built in mechanical float than the Supersub sensor.
As they where so cheap I installed two more as backup but I have to say these have not given me a moment's worry , unlike the Supersub .
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:50   #41

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No matter which submersible pump you choose, if you do a poor installation with traps in the line, don't expect it to work properly.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
I changed to cheap Rule copies from China for a third of the price .
They've been working for a year now with no worries at all . Much better with the built in mechanical float than the Supersub sensor.
As they where so cheap I installed two more as backup but I have to say these have not given me a moment's worry , unlike the Supersub .
Rule has a copy of the SuperSub that I might try next although I'm thinking that changing to a self priming diaphragm type pump is probably the best solution.
Old 21-09-2017, 09:02   #43

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Rule has a copy of the SuperSub that I might try next although I'm thinking that changing to a self priming diaphragm type pump is probably the best solution.

It is, and it keeps all of the electrical stuff out of the bilge water.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
No matter which submersible pump you choose, if you do a poor installation with traps in the line, don't expect it to work properly.
I'm seriously gonna take a look at what it would take to change the current hose track although it should be noted that my bilge pumps have worked properly for the 17 years I've owned the boat including the last couple of years with this pump. It appears that the current problem is related to the pump itself.
Old 21-09-2017, 09:13   #45

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...It appears that the current problem is related to the pump itself.
Not from here it doesn't.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump