Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:11   #16

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to communicate w Sailrite. This is basically what I'm looking for. The connector piece is possible. I am aware that you do get what you pay for....
Previous 4 of 7 Photos Next</SPAN>

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:10   #17

Boat: Bayfield 36
Go ahead and try it yourself but believe me it is not that simple, check out the work involved it constructing the bimini and side/rear curtains (full enclosure) including the windows, screening ,zippers,snaps and the tools required to construct and install and the cost of wasted materials while you try to "learn" how to do it two grand is cheap!
Borrow your wifes sewing machine and try to sew on a curve..pay the money!
Dave
Been there and still doing it!
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Doing a full enclosure is very difficult. When we were first quoted a price we thought it was exorbitant. Having a Sailrite machine we thought we'd take a stab at it. After about three tries at just making a pattern we gave up. The guys that did it for us in Miami came to the boat four or five times and did an excellent job. As for the Sailrite we did use it to make a cover for our wheel and pedestal so we did get our money out of it. We leave the machine at home now and use it for repairs. Canvas work is a lot easier if you're just re-doing what a good canvas person designed.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42   #19

If you ever consider selling the sailrite machine Rick give me a shout (I'm in TO).
l have been considering a portable to take on site as my industrial machines are just too heavy (but do a better job).
Dave
Old 02-05-2008, 07:04   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Dave,

I'll keep you in mind but I'm hanging on to it. We use it a bit every time we return home. Last year we put a doubling patch on the bimini where a rail goes. This year we have to replace a zipper, all little things but without the Sailrite it's be impossible.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08   #21

Ya at about $75 average to replace a zipper its good to have a machine handy and thats what l am looking to do...a lot of boats need a zip replaced or a small bit of restitching and to remove the piece from the boat take it to the shop and bring it back...well the cost of fuel these days!
Dave
Old 02-05-2008, 17:49   #22

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
I don't want 'full enclosure'. Just a little canvas overhead for protection. I have a nice dodger. Sailrite sells completed biminis and it looks doable. Again, I know you get what you pay for. Has anyone purchased one of these?

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 20:30   #23

Location: Adelaide Aust. Nthern suburbs. Boat moored at St Kilda.
Boat: 'Yellow Bird' 25ft Roberts sloop
I have been thinking about a frame for 2 84watt solar panels that I have already, which would not only serve as a bimini cover and a frame for detachable cafe curtains (clear plastic) but to which I could also fit a detachable davit for a 2 man inflatable when cruising.
Any ideas on tube size and design?
Jazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:50   #24

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
When I still had the house here in Miami, I had a marine boat canvas place make the cushions on my pool furniture from marine grade canvas. It lasted for years on the deck in full sun with lots of rain etc. It was dark blue and stayed dark blue. Had it done previously by a patio place and it only lasted two years. You get what you pay for.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I’m starting to think about my “bimini” design

To be honest…with my future cruising being limited to coastal northern med. during the summer months….I’m wondering how often I would take it down.

I’m tossing around the idea of having it semi permanent…with a hard top….with a reasonable window for seeing the sails…and a light duty sliding panel under it for a window shade.

The thing would be able to be removed…but its something you would do at the dock.

I can see over my hard dodger when standing….the Hard bimini would be about a foot+ higher.

I don’t know what size tube I’d use if the poles also have to handle davit attachments.

But for straight forward “hard” bimini top I’ll probably go a bit big, maybe 1” stainless steel.

What’s the weight of the solar panels….Gut feeling tells me 1” is still OK.

I think how the pole is fixed is critical….I’ll be able to pass through the top of my combing and fix to a lower surface…this sort of make it cantilevered and well supported at the base.
This should make a pretty rigid structure…also you can sleeve inside the tubes to add strength with out adding bulk.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 18:43   #26

Re: Bimini Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
$50.00 an hour. Way to much in my opinion. But if there are people willing to pay West Marine prices then we all end up paying outrageous amounts of money just because its "marine". Think of the same sized canvas for your patio at home. Would you be willing to pay that rate??
Your backyard canvas is not subjected to high winds on a regular basis -- go ahead use backyard grade and you will be replacing it in no time -- then you are out the cheap one and still on the hook for a better one. Penny wise and pound foolish.
skywrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 19:14   #27

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Bimini Cost?

If you made a bimini when the original post was written,its probably fallen apart by now !!!!!!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini