Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 14:48   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Bimini - problem finding right one

I am having a problem in finding right bimini for my Hanse 385 as all the models I looked at are either to low ( I am 185cm / 6,1) or when folded my head keeps hitting while I am at the helm.
I tried searching on internet to see if there are alternative solutions but with no success so far and I would be grateful if someone could point me to right direction.
Milan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 20:12   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Bimini - problem finding right one

The vast majority of biminis that fit properly are custom made for the boat. You need to find a good marine canvas man/woman that bends their own frames.
Old 18-04-2014, 21:44   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I agree that custom made biminis are the best way to go. I have seen many biminis that I don't like, and a few that are awesome. My highest priority is having one that makes the cockpit habitable during inclement weather so that you can be outside when it is raining and still stay dry.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 00:52   #4

Thank you for your replies. I am in fact looikng for a customized bimini and would you happen to have links to where I can see some of the ideas people came up with while making their own?
Old 19-04-2014, 04:06   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Ive built hundreds of custom biminis. The canvas part is no problem for a diy, the stainless can be a little tougher. i bent some by hand before I invested the thousand dollars for a bendarc and crownarc. These benders make a superior bimini frame without kinks in the tubing and with a nice even crown in the top. The last full bimini i did was a four bow for a mid 30s hunter. The price was $1200 materials were around half of that.

Some things to keep in mind. Opt for a new age lifetime ptfe thread. Polyester thread just doesnt hold up. I just restitched a bimini that had been kinda destroyed by 2 restitches and the fabric was still fine. the prior two restitchers ran stitch in the ditch and compromised the fabric. It took backing up the seams with binding tape and running a seam on either side of the existing seams. Costed him $400. With the cost of restitching 3 times I could have built him a bimini that would have been warranteed 10 yrs.

If you ever plan on side panels or windscreen. the cockpit shape should be matched by the frame. I use the lines of the boat to determine the lines of the frames. Often this leads to a bimini that has all bows different widths. one of my pet peeves is a big box looking enclosure on a streamlined boat.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 06:56   #6

Boat: islandpacket

Forsailbyowner, are you still making them and where are you located? You sound like the person I need!
Old 19-04-2014, 09:06   #7

Thank you Forsailbyowner.
If you have any photos of work that you have done I could see I would be very grateful.

Tags
bimini