Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:13   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Bimini: what is that vinyl like bimini cloth called and how to clean it best

Hi all,
my cat has a full enclose bimini. It's made from some material that's like vinyl but very UV resistant. Must be quite expensive material as when I bought it 3 years ago it was stated 15000Euro. But the bill didn't state the material and the company that did it doesn't answer my request. 2 local bimini maker here in Lanzarote couldn't identify what material it is.
See pics, hope someone can help.
Need to do some fixing where it shrinked and exposed the velcro and need to get the material for it.

As you can see it's very dirty from longer time on a very dirty boat yard. Tried to clean it, classic vinyl cleaner, normal boat cleaner or dishwasher soap worked only on the surface but doesn't get the deep in stuff out. Starbright deck cleaner so far worked best but still a lot of scrubbing as dirt is backed into material. All cleaner not really work releasing the dirty.
Some of the parts have also isenglass sewed in so I cannot to aggressive from the cleaner. The dirt doesn't stick to the isenglass, easy to clean but on that bimini material it really kinda baked into it.
Any other cleaners or homebrew mixtures I could try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240826_162450.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	293445   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240826_162446.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	293446  

CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bimini: what is that vinyl like bimini cloth called and how to clean it best

If it's over 5 yrs. old, you may be out of luck. However, try a soft toothbrush, dishwashing detergent, warm water, and a dash of bleach to clean around the zipper. But where dirt has lain, it often chemically stains the thread, and nothing will get it out. I once tried peroxide on red earth stains, with minimal success, plus it's a pain to do. However, the ground or baked in dirt is very hard to get out of thread.

You can try TSP [tri-sodium phosphate -- also known as sugar soap], but don't get it on the clear window material stuff. That is usually pvc and pretty soft, and it won't like the TSP. After you try that and rinse thoroughly, you will want to use something like covertible car top preservative on the vinyl. TSP is a strong alkali cleaner, wear gloves, avoid contact with eyes.

Good luck with it. It may be time for a new bimini, or you accept that you did everything you could think of, and it's as clean as you can reasonably get it.

Ann

Tags
bimini, cal