Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2006, 21:12   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Biodiesel and cold weather

Part of my job here in the city goverment is to maintain the fuel sites. So far, we have been running biodiesel for a couple of years now. One problem we're having is when the cold weather gets below freezing the filters at the pumps start plugging up.

We're running 10 micron filters, and this past week with the weather getting down in the teens at night, I've had to change filters every week.

Three filters that I took total meter readings came up with 750 gl., 1100 gl. and 1800 gl. since their last change. The one with 1800 gl. had 1 month time on it and the 1100 & 750 gl. had one week.

A couple weeks ago the supplier had put in some additives to help with the cold problem but it hasn't seem to work.

So, anyway, If you are thinking of running bio in your boats? Beware! If your fuel tanks don't get below freezing it probably won't hurt much. Since most tanks are inside, that should help. But if the boat's on the hard for the winter, it might pay to pump it out before storage.

This is the soybean based biodiesel.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 21:19   #2

Wow!!

So this biodiesel, is more prone to freezing in the cold. Than the regular diesel does in the cold. Right?

I have been hearing very good things about biodiesel. I even found a company in California. That sells the mixing device. Where you the customer, can make your own biodiesel.

The only thing is, you would have to go out and collect old oil and grease from the bakeries and fast food places. Were they use deep fat friers!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 21:34   #3
Kai Nui

Not sure about bio, but regular #2 diesel will gel at 17 deg f. When I used to run the north route, I would run blend in my truck. 50% #1 and 50%#2 diesel. I would assume that is not an option with bio. I used to compensate with a product called "Power Service" when I had to fuel down south. You might consider experimenting with it on a pickup or generater that can easily be drained if it reacts badly with the bio diesel. I have seen this suff do some miraculos things with gelled diesel.
Old 22-02-2006, 21:38   #4

I never heard of "Power Service."

Is it like a anti-freeze for diesel, Kai?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 22-02-2006, 21:45   #5
Kai Nui

A bit over simplified, but yes.
Old 22-02-2006, 22:02   #6
Kai Nui

FWIW, after the most miserable 12 hours of my life in South Dakota about 18 years ago, I had the ultimate test for this stuff. The one and only time I did not use it, and was unable to get blended fuel, my fuel froze at 1am in -36 deg f weather. I spent 12 hours and quite a few dollars getting the truck going again. At 1pm , I was able to get the truck about 2 miles down the road from the truck stop. When it died for the umptenth time, I begged on the CB for anyone who had Powerservice. Someone stopped. I ran it straight through the filters. I never had a problem again.
Check it out: http://www.powerservice.com/
Old 22-02-2006, 22:13   #7

Nice website,Kai.

I bookmarked it under diesel engines, under "my favorites!!"

Old 22-02-2006, 23:11   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
BTW Our stuff is a 20% blend. When you put it in a clear bottle in the cold a milky substance settles to the bottom. That's probably the bio. And that's what's plugging the filters

I don't know how cooking oil would do, there are so many different veggies used in cooking oil that it would probably depend on what it was made from for it to chill/thicken........_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 08:11   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Diesel

I think there is going to be a lot more research on this, and it has already started. The US and Europe and Canada are using more everyday of diesel mixes. We have the ability to grow a lot of canola and other stuff to make fuel from. I am gonna continue to use regular pump fuel for the tiny bit needed for the boat because of the reliability issue. But the truckers are going to be using more blends. There will be a major push in BC for bio diesel.
The governments will be trying to showcase the place for the next winter Oly impiques. We also have Ballard power in BC designing fuel cells. The are a better money sink than all our boats combined. We also have Wesport Technologies who are working to make diesels run cleaner. The incrimental advances may be more productive than switching to hydrogen.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 08:24   #10

The only downside to this bio-diesel idea is this.

What "if" there is a severe drought in a certain region. Say the USA, or Canada.

People will want their food first. So there goes the production rate needed for bio-diesel. And depending on how severe a certain drought can be. There could be shortages for food & bio-diesel as well?

Just something to look at here. If bio-diesel comes from organic sources. And that has to be grown in "some" field. That's one source that can hamper bio-diesel production. When needed?

Old 23-02-2006, 08:37   #11

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Drought

We have had plenty. You plant over a wide enough area. It has happened most recently with hay in Alberta. We trucked them heaps from BC. If the whole thing ( crop growing ) is a bust we use more oil, we have heaps. We can also run engines on natural gas or propane, we have heaps. Russia has heaps. But we in the West should be working to improve our clean air practices. George W told you alls about it a few weeks back. I am slowly reducing my energy comsumption by owning more efficient vehicles and travelling less. A motorcycle is in my plans for the summer, and I will be moving closer to the boat.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 13:11   #12

Yeah I heard George "The Moron" Bush mentioned it on the news, a few weeks or so back.

Yeah, what the lawmakers need to do. Is start banning these damn SUV's. They are the gas guzzlers. Followed by certain classes of pickups.

As a matter of fact. I believe the US, should implement the driver education classes like they have in England and Europe. And if they do that. I personelly guarantee, a sudden drop in wreckless speeding. And wreckless driving?

And also start issuing certain permits in order to own certain types of pickups that are bigger than a Chevy S-10 pickup. Only ranchers and certain business owners can legally own bigger pickups. And that'll start cutting emmissions, and cut back on depending on oil from other countries?

At least that's my idea, anyways?

Old 23-02-2006, 17:53   #13

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
Would someone please pull the plug on this guy? If you have something to say that is relevant to the conversation, by all means, post. If you have nothing intelligent to add to the topic, please just read. Those of us that are trying to learn something here have to wade through pages of banter to glean any information at all.
B&BJoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 18:12   #14

B&BJoas

Coming from someone who is a "newbie." You sure have alot to say?

Old 23-02-2006, 18:19   #15

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
Actually, I don't. See on the left it says 7 posts in two months whereas you have posted over 900 times in 6 months.
B&BJoas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel