Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2022, 06:12   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
BIOSECURITY - Only half the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Ablative paint typically doesn't require removal, so the quick pressure wash is the extent (and I yell at the guy if he gets too aggressive as it's wasting paint).

Sanding/stripping hard bottom paint has required dust collection and tarping as long as we've had big boats.

I can tell you to this day on in the last 20 years in five marinas in three countries , my anti foul standings , scraping and loose bits are nicely embedded in the surrounding ground. Not to mention the new antifouling decorating my kids hair.
Old 14-10-2022, 06:20   #47

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: BIOSECURITY - Only half the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post

So just considering copper, can the pulses of copper runoff from a marina elevate the copper concentrations in the surrounding seawater sufficiently to be detrimental to marine plants and animals? Especially considering tides and currents?

Is there a body of research on this topic? Also recognize that copper is essential for life and there is a DC level dissolved copper in sea water.

I'm really interested. We here hear rumblings about copper is to be eliminated but haven't seen it yet. Rumors that it's bad for the environment, that it kills invertebrates. But as I'd indicated antifouling is far from the worst of our marine ecological problems.

Any way, this is my first attempt to figure out the answer. A quick search indicates that it's not the copper, it's the other chemicals. There are though references, but not the actual paper, concerning copper.

One thing I did note quickly is some "sources" are commercial fronts for anti-fouling paint alternatives, so they need to be suspect. And, some papers aren't peer reviewed, which in my research field is considered imperative.

Anway, here's my search with links to various references in case anyone else is so inclined to research: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=effect+of+...t=brave&ia=web
Old 14-10-2022, 06:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I can tell you to this day on in the last 20 years in five marinas in three countries , my anti foul standings , scraping and loose bits are nicely embedded in the surrounding ground. Not to mention the new antifouling decorating my kids hair.
I don't know that all marinas enforce the rules but at least in the USA, it's in most marina rule lists as far back as I can recall.

Probably a CYA for many...if caught, they can say you broke the rules. Others are very strict about it. But certainly not a new idea.
Old 14-10-2022, 13:58   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

I just went back to the OP and read the reference. One could infer from it that NZ is rather unique in that every port and bay has it's own community of creatures which do not mix with those in the next bay or port and could be considered harmful if intermixed.

It's my understanding that bio-regions are more normally associated with climatic or subsea topological variations and are generally not strictly isolated from each other locally.

Is NZ unique in coastline characteristics or is this just another example of the craziness which appears to have overtaken a formerly very sensible population?
Old 14-10-2022, 16:08   #50

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I just went back to the OP and read the reference. One could infer from it that NZ is rather unique in that every port and bay has it's own community of creatures which do not mix with those in the next bay or port and could be considered harmful if intermixed.

It's my understanding that bio-regions are more normally associated with climatic or subsea topological variations and are generally not strictly isolated from each other locally.

Is NZ unique in coastline characteristics or is this just another example of the craziness which appears to have overtaken a formerly very sensible population?

One of the problems that other regions are trying to protect themselves from is the Auckland region’s Mediterranean Fanworm https://marinebiosecurity.niwa.co.nz...-spallanzanii/, though it’s likely too late as coastal shipping has transferred it to pretty much every port. As an example, the Bay of Islands Marina in Opua requires out of area boats to have recent anti fouling or very recent pressure washing: https://www.bayofislandsmarina.co.nz...-marine-pests/.
Old 14-10-2022, 16:53   #51

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
One of the problems that other regions are trying to protect themselves from is the Auckland region’s Mediterranean Fanworm https://marinebiosecurity.niwa.co.nz...-spallanzanii/, though it’s likely too late as coastal shipping has transferred it to pretty much every port. As an example, the Bay of Islands Marina in Opua requires out of area boats to have recent anti fouling or very recent pressure washing: https://www.bayofislandsmarina.co.nz...-marine-pests/.
Yes, I was about to post of this very thing. I was in Opua in 2019, and they were trying to control it, and seemed to be having some success (very surprising).

Boats that were arriving had to have recent antifoul, and haul out for a pressure wash on arrival, or allow an inspection to show it was clean. Cleaning in the water was not allowed, and "Barnicle Police" regularly would dive on all the boats in the marina and fine and/or force boats to haul out for a pressure wash if they were not clean. Somehow, I got lucky, but I know of one boat that had to haul for a pressure wash 3 times in one season-which was probably very irregular.

So, while much of the world is implementing rules on types of paint to use, and some wanting a pressure wash instead of in water cleaning because of chemicals, etc. I think NZ is the only place where they have divers regularly police boats to keep them clean, and the pressure wash is required to keep foreign organisms out of the water.
Old 14-10-2022, 22:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I've often considered that if I could afford to have a boat built to my specs that it would be well worth having it built in Cu-Ni.

It's a wonderful material.

https://www.copper.org/applications/...boat_hull.html

Thanks for that link Bowdrie, fascinating and well presented history of a Cu-Ni sailboat.
I did some work on a 30’ monel sailboat, (pretty rough looking welds) but again , no antifouling
Old 14-10-2022, 23:45   #53
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

I don’t see it as “crazy “ , no pollutants should be allowed in water end of story.
Old 15-10-2022, 00:35   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I don’t see it as “crazy “ , no pollutants should be allowed in water end of story.
Do you use a washing machine to wash your clothes?
Old 15-10-2022, 00:47   #55
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Do you use a washing machine to wash your clothes?

Yes , and my home town has tertiary waste processing , you can actually drink the sewerage !!!
Old 15-10-2022, 01:02   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Yes , and my home town has tertiary waste processing , you can actually drink the sewerage !!!
Okay and on the boat? or does that go over the side? Is it a problem? not really.

Pete
Old 15-10-2022, 04:01   #57
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay and on the boat? or does that go over the side? Is it a problem? not really.

Pete

I’m of the view that all water discharge of whatever nature should be pollution free. We need to return all bodies of water to their natural state.

Is this aspirational , of course. , but I agree with legislative and environmental measures that progress to that end. I applaud the NZ authorities.

Do I dump if allowed yes , will I stop if not allowed yes. The amount is irelevant.
Old 15-10-2022, 04:29   #58

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

The problem is mostly the mixed bureaucracy following new and half baked regulations, not the environmental safety itself. Same with insurances.. Better to stay out of marinas IMHO..
Old 15-10-2022, 05:13   #59

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
The problem is mostly the mixed bureaucracy following new and half baked regulations, not the environmental safety itself. Same with insurances.. Better to stay out of marinas IMHO..

Boats are an easy and visible target insignificant when compared to the less visible environmentally damaging but economically essential farming pollution caused by nitrate run-off and offshore drilling. Priorities become skewed when politicians get involved.
Old 15-10-2022, 08:37   #60

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Boats are an easy and visible target
It's so much easier to focus on the motes and ignore the beams.
Like the line by "Captain Redleg" in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
"Ain't no end to doing good".

Tags
security