Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 19:16   #16

Re: Black Masts & Two Color Topside Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Please if you do decide to paint your mast think of your neighbours and do a proper job. This mast has been shedding it's paint job for about 3 months (and will be for sometime yet) landing on all the boats around it, I can only imagine the uproar if it was black

The paint was the cheapest "outdoor" paint he could buy from the local hardware store and applied with no prep at all, he just shimmied up the mast and slapped it on

I'm sure you will do a better job of it

Oh no! I definitely wouldn't just slap anything on. It would be stepped and brought to the shipyard, and then I'd sand it down and properly coat it etc etc etc.

My entire goal with this boat is not only to make it something that I am completely happy with, but to also make it something that people will ask to buy from me because I want top dollar when I decide to move up three feet as they say!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 19:39   #17

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Mine is factory anodized aluminum black. It looks sharp, and I expect that it has looked at least this good since 1984. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

It's hard to believe that there aren't some other improvements that would be more prudent to spend your time and resources on than painting a mast that will immediately begin to show wear from sheets, halyards, chips from shackles, etc.

... Same for hull, from bumpers, etc.

I'd rather just be out there, in the water, with Jimmy Buffet on the stereo, a frosty Corona with a lime sinking in the bottle, and looking at the disbelief on the faces of those whom I leave in my wake.

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 20:36   #18

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Oh no! I definitely wouldn't just slap anything on. It would be stepped and brought to the shipyard, and then I'd sand it down and properly coat it etc etc etc.

My entire goal with this boat is not only to make it something that I am completely happy with, but to also make it something that people will ask to buy from me because I want top dollar when I decide to move up three feet as they say!
You have a classic boat. Keep it that way if you want to sell at top dollar. Classic cars with vinyl flame jobs are not the ****, they are just shitty.& Lower the value.
As to graphics , ask most rvers if they like their graphics, it's something you get sick of looking at especially when the edges curl up and they start cracking.
Then someone said easy to remove ? Not . Labor intensive, and solvents are crazy expensive. Graphics is an rv money racket. Try to buy one w/o it. It's special order haha. Graphics always crack and peel, ALWAYS. Expansion , contraction, sunlight, voila looks like ****.
A boat has a compound curvature, graphics are flat sheets. Invitation to disaster.
:facepalm
Spend your money on sailing instead. But if art is your deal , and the checkbook needs exercise, then spend away.
Paint and graphics don't make her sail better or more seaworthy.
Just my honest opinion please don't be offended.
If I want graphics on my boat , rv, or truck I'd buy some funny mushrooms instead and drive down to the Marina and graffiti the damn thing, cuz that what graphics is, graffiti.
To the guy who says easy to remove , I invite you over , I have some easy removing for you. And more in this rv Marina want to meet you lol:whistling

Another quick note , try to hold on to that black mast on a hot sunny day, really get up close and make love to it. Maybe not.....
Additionally if it ain't broke don't fix it.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, paint