Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 01:57   #1

Boat: Broom 42
Black or white sunscreen

When we bought our first deck saloon it was equipped with a black see-through screen to go over the large forward-facing window. I argued that for it to be reflective it should have been white, but they were adamant that black was the right colour. I recently saw a super-yacht with black covers over the bridge.

I want to order a new see-through sunscreen for our new boat. Should it be black or white?
Andrew-Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 04:57   #2

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: Black or white sunscreen

In my experience you can see better through black screen than you can through white. Has to do with the reflective nature.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 05:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

True. If you are looking out through it, you are trying to see the dimmed image that comes through each little hole in the screen. That's easier if the space between those points of light is black and your little image is not competing with white around it.
Old 22-08-2020, 06:56   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Calliope View Post
When we bought our first deck saloon it was equipped with a black see-through screen to go over the large forward-facing window. I argued that for it to be reflective it should have been white, but they were adamant that black was the right colour. I recently saw a super-yacht with black covers over the bridge.

I want to order a new see-through sunscreen for our new boat. Should it be black or white?

Would say it depends on the boat and in your large forward facing ports/windows. Do you use them to see things or is it just for light into the main cabin? Are you in the tropics or more in higher lats?

We have black Phifertex drop down sunscreens around the cockpit and we use them underway. As mentioned the black is easy to see thru and still blocks a lot of UV. We also have the same material in our hatch covers. The black for us out lasts the white.

If the suncreens in your DS are to block heat/sunlight only would go for white. If you want to see thru it, then black. Black will still stop a lot of UV and help reduce interior cloth degradation/fading from UV. White will appear to get dirty, but it's not too bad and easy to clean.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 09:22   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Another disadvantage to white, in addition to the glare, is that it will not get hot enough to discourage mold growth on the inside.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 09:49   #6

Boat: Broom 42

Sorry, I didn't make it clear it was to reduce glare in the saloon to give the aircon a chance in the blistering heat we're having in the Med.
Andrew-Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:43   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Didn't know what a Broom 42 was until now. Either would work and seeing your boat it would come down to aesthetics.

The contrast black glass looks petty sharp and you would loose a large amount of that if you covered them in white.
Maybe use a photo editor and look at the black or white (or different colors to match canvas?) to see how it looks.
I'm voting for black though.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:57   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I'd say black as well. Better visibility. A sense of reducing the glare and brightness of the entire visual picture. The heat to keep mold off is good point. No end to the advantages.

However, the thread title really had my imagination going. Lol

First I was picturing the attached pic of white sunscreen, then I was thinking of advising not to use the black sunscreen if you're a white person. Ha ha ha.

After opening the thread it all made sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22250C08-2501-4A01-9A31-E1B81B21493F.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	221759  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 00:10   #9

Boat: Catalina 320, Seawind 1160

We had white over the saloon windows of a catamaran which worked very well. We replaced it after 4 yhears when it wore out. The new black colour looked better with the style of the boat, however it was not as effective in mitigating the heat and glare in the Australian sun. Next time I would go with white.
jduve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen