Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 08:37   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Blending in Gelcoat Repair

Hi all,

I have used a gelcoat repair paste that is a slightly different (whiter) white than my current, aged gelcoat (13 yo boat).

It looks ok, but I think it could be blended in better. Do you have any suggestions for what I can use to blend it in? I have tried a medium cutting compound (3M Medium+Wax) but there is still a noticeable difference.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!!
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:59   #2

Re: Blending in Gelcoat Repair

The best way? Order some gelcoat pigments from Jamestown Distributors. You can mix it into your white gelcoat (or gelcoat repair stuff, i guess) to color match. My Beneteau gel looks white...until you put true white gelcoat on it. Turns out it needs a touch of yellow and black pigment to nail it.

It’s an art...and it takes a while to master. Use VERY small amounts. I mean tip of a toothpick small. I’d practice a whole lot on a piece of cardboard scrap before you do the repair.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 10:48   #3

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Watching Andy match gelcoat was both informational and depressing. I have no where near the eye, patience, or skill to pull this off, however I did learn this is something I really don't ever want to have to do.

disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 10:56   #4

That’s how I learned. It’s super easy with gelcoat as you can smear on your pigmented test batch without MEK...easily wipes off and gives you all the time in the world to get it right. Once you’ve got it nailed, drop in your MEK.

Key is to use very very little pigment. A tiny bit goes a LONG way, and it takes a lot of white to dilute an overpigment situation. You can always add pigment easily.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 17:38   #5

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

[QUOTE=disputin;3408329]Watching Andy match gelcoat was both informational and depressing. I have no where near the eye, patience, or skill to pull this off, however I did learn this is something I really don't ever want to have to

I felt the same way. But if u follow Andy’s method - it is much easier than u think. As others have mentioned & as Andy demonstrates, tiny amounts of pigment, &, since no catalyst, u can take your time to get it close. I have no skill for this but my repairs are undetectable by all but the most discerning.

Be sure to completely clean & buff the area you are matching so u compare to non oxidized gelcoat
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:18   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Tint the gelcoat. Wet sand the repair area with 600 wet/dry, spray gelcoat and let harden then wet sand with 1200 wet/dry then compound and polish.

If there is a piece of the boat you can bring into many autobody supply stores have optical scanners that will at least tell you what tints you need and what proportions.

Another option might be to buy pretinted gelcoat like Spectrum , Sherfab or Fiberglast.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat