Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 12:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Blisters on keel

Painting the bottom today and noticed a good number of blisters on the keel - some about the size of half dollars, others smaller. Unfortunately, we have several important projects already on the list during this haul out and a very limited time to get them done. I am wondering if it's ok to leave the keel situation until next year or if it is something that needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later? The blisters appear to be only on the keel and not the hull - could this problem 'spread' to the hull? Thank you!!
Salish Sloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 13:25   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Blisters on keel

Is the keel fiberglass, or some other material, like steel? Sometimes we have seen blisters that are due to chemical incompatibility of the paint systems. Those ones can be sanded out, and faired as best you can, and wait till next year, if need be.

Other times, they are osmotic blisters. If they are osmotic, you really do need to investigate how deep they are. It will really mess up your plans. But further deterioration will, too.

Sorry.

Ann
Old 30-09-2017, 13:40   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Leave them until next year.

I used to say "no boat ever sank from blisters". However recently I did see one on someone's hauled Island Packet about the size of a softball. A workman was grinding it out and by the time he get got down to good glass what was left of the hull was paper thin. It was rather unnerving, but it was one big blister. Boat ended up getting peeled.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:05   #4

The keel is lead, hull fiberglass. Unfortunately I think leaving it until next year may be the only option at this point. We may be able to do another haul out during the winter or early spring.
Old 30-09-2017, 20:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Blisters on keel

Assuming the boat is say more than 20 yrs old and it took 20 years to get where they are now, it's likely to wait until next year, especially as you have a year to save up the money and plan on an extended time out of the water.

I'd be interested in what year Island Packet, how many blisters?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 20:19   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If I understand your post correctly the blisters are only on the lead part of the keel. If so, they are simply places where the paint has lost adhesion to the lead or whatever undercoating was used. Not uncommon... lead is hard to keep painted.

At any rate, there is no hazard other than possibly the paint falling off in those spots with marine growth flourishing there. Will be a performance hit, but no damage to the boat. When it is time to do the bottom, you'll likely need to strip all the paint from the lead and start over. I'd get some advice from pro painters as to what the best paint system is for lead at that time... new stuff comes along now and then!

Jim
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34   #7

Thanks all! Yes, the blisters are only on the keel so I feel more comfortable now waiting for next year when we will have more time to work on it.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Doesn't the 28+ have an internal encapsulated keel?
Were it an exterior bolted keel, I would have less concern.
However, even so, I don't think these blisters will cause any immediate disaster.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:21   #9

You may be right. We assumed it was a lead keel, but it may be lead encapsulated in fiberglass. I'll have to look in to it more. Unfortunately it's going back in the water, and we'll just have to hope for the best re: the blisters.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:28   #10

If it's a bolt on keel I wouldnt worry much. If it's a fiberglass keel, you may have water inside the keel causing the blisters. Personally I would drill a hole or two if fiberglass to see if water comes out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters, keel