Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 17:05   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Blocking a boat inland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco

many a broken dream lies buried by a project boat. QUOTE]

Apparently only about a third of them ever get completed.
Sadly some people seem to think that once you build the hull you are almost there. (In reality it probably represents about a third of the effort to complete the project)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 17:19   #17

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
As I explore ways to get on the water in my own boat, one possibility is to buy a project boat and work on it.
I think having a project boat on land gets you further from being on the water in one that actually floats and can move about under it's own power. Two years worth of storage will buy a much better boat than the one you'd still be working on.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 18:11   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I think having a project boat on land gets you further from being on the water in one that actually floats and can move about under it's own power. Two years worth of storage will buy a much better boat than the one you'd still be working on.

I'm not sure I follow your post?

It depends a lot on a person's circumstances e.g he may have two years to go to retirement and therefore a boat in the water could be a financial drain?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 18:40   #19

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
That’s not the OP case.
1. He still need to be close to home/fully equipped machine shop (a great asset!) which is two hours away from the water. - running a big project there would take forever.
2. The storage space at his place, near the shop is free.

If I had these options when running my last refit (not a project), early last year, I would probably save at least $15,000 with direct out of pocket expenses, at least six calendar months and hundreds of waisted hours of my own time.
Old 03-09-2020, 22:08   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

No boat still sails on weekends and has money to save, project boat on hard works on boat far from ocean every weekend and spends any spare money on boat. At the end a boat refitted by an amateur (no offense intended) that must now be trucked back to the ocean and launched. OP also speaks of importing a boat into S. California, besides the coals to Newcastle analogy he'll have thousands into just transporting a kinetic sculpture that resembles a sailboat.
There are hundreds of such project boats mostly in the "inland Empire" San Bernardino, Riverside counties and the high desert where land is priced by the acre not the square foot like near the ocean. Hidden in back lots, fields and behind industrial parks, used to be a jokes about unfinished "backyard yachts" on every block here.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 22:17   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

Calif.Ted sometimes an itch just has to be scratched. Admittedly a large percent of boat projects never make it to the water. But the ones that do usually give the owner a huge sense of accomplishment.
The big mistake is to think you enjoy working with your hands so this translates to you will enjoy working on a boat. I made this mistake building a house and I tell you it will be the last house I build.
The other mistake is to build everything. I have surveyed boats were the owner literally built everything right down to the tanks. Which is fine if you have a the time and can keep the momentum up, but it is way quicker to buy most fittings rather than making them.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
$14k for 1 month? That must be a typo? Otherwise I am in the wrong job.
Here's one email I got back. It was for 50', not 40' (my bad):

Quote:
Hello Rick,
Thank you for your enquiry @ Windward Yacht Center.
We cap our DYS at 1 month limit.
Our Daily Rate for DYS on 50 foot is $468.00 per day, so 1 month would be $14,040.00.
Many Thanks
Simon Landt
General Manager
Windward Yacht Center
JetForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:31   #23

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetForMe View Post
Here's one email I got back. It was for 50', not 40' (my bad):
Wow! That's still amazing though. Some quick maths: that's $14k for, let's say, 56 m2, or $250 per square meter. Quick detour to London, one of the most expensive places to rent, £50 per m2 per month. Let's call that $100. So parking the boat is 2.5x more expensive than renting in London,
and they don't even need to build anything!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 13:55   #24

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

As unbelievable as it sounds there was a time before hydraulic trailers and poppet stands. Even delicate plank popping lightly built wood race boats were moved on woolen cradles with wood rollers underneath. A huge croquet mallet called a beetle and swung by the strongest yard man, adjusted the rollers to plot the yachts course. The cradle uprights could be lowered and the boat moved from the railway cradle to the yard cradle sideways. Always a tense time.
Along came Mr Brownell yachtsman and inventor of the hydraulic trailer, plastic boats soon followed and suddenly women, children, and dogs descended upon the teak decks.
Sorry about that. Was I talking in my sleep again?
Happy trails to any boatbuilder.
Mark and his bewildered manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat