Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2024, 23:01   #17

Re: Blocks/sheaves for cable steering.

Zephyrwerks.com ( Port Townsend WA) will make any sheave you require, up to 9"dia. Pricing reasonable (6" for $148). Knowledgeable of needs for dynerma and other synthetics. They may have confronted steering sheave design before, give them a call. (Ed Louchard, 360 385 2720). You will have to build a frame to carry such sheaves, though.

Gsrhauermarine.com sells wonderful roller bearing sailing blocks, is known to be willing to make custom fabrications (foot blocks, etc). Call and discuss with their custom department. 909 985 9993
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2024, 23:37   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Please stop. We all know how to use Google.
Old 14-07-2024, 23:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
Zephyrwerks.com ( Port Townsend WA) will make any sheave you require, up to 9"dia. Pricing reasonable (6" for $148). Knowledgeable of needs for dynerma and other synthetics. They may have confronted steering sheave design before, give them a call. (Ed Louchard, 360 385 2720). You will have to build a frame to carry such sheaves, though.

Gsrhauermarine.com sells wonderful roller bearing sailing blocks, is known to be willing to make custom fabrications (foot blocks, etc). Call and discuss with their custom department. 909 985 9993
I am in Australia.
Old 14-07-2024, 23:57   #20

Sourcing is worldwide without much difficulty. If it fits your needs, order it! I personally have ordered Barient winch parts from Arco-Hutton in your country ( they have biggest stock of Barlow and Barient parts anywhere, and - if you inquire ever so politely - will build unobtanium parts from those companies' drawings in their vaults...) delivery by post was quick and not expensive.
Wayne Gilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 01:43   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gilow, Edson has always been my go-to for steering equipment. I have had zero problems receiving stuff I have ordered from them. There's also lots of interesting information on their website including stuff about Dyneema cables. I know it's not cheap but for me it's one place I would not want to take short cuts.
I f you look at the Edson stuff in the link below the quality shows and the fact they are adjustable allows for you to get those cables running friction free........
Cheers

https://edsonmarine.com/products/sai...es-assemblies/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 02:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Gilow, Edson has always been my go-to for steering equipment. I have had zero problems receiving stuff I have ordered from them. There's also lots of interesting information on their website including stuff about Dyneema cables. I know it's not cheap but for me it's one place I would not want to take short cuts.
I f you look at the Edson stuff in the link below the quality shows and the fact they are adjustable allows for you to get those cables running friction free........
Cheers

https://edsonmarine.com/products/sai...es-assemblies/
I found Edson early on.

I ruled them out on a few criteria. The most relevant being time. It would simply take too long to get things ordered, fabricated and shipped.

I can weld this stuff up in a few days.

Otherwise, yes, their stuff is pretty good.
Old 15-07-2024, 03:02   #23

Quote:
Sourcing is worldwide without much difficulty. If it fits your needs, order it! I personally have ordered Barient winch parts from Arco-Hutton in your country ( they have biggest stock of Barlow and Barient parts anywhere, and - if you inquire ever so politely - will build unobtanium parts from those companies' drawings in their vaults...) delivery by post was quick and not expensive.
Yeah, read my previous posts on asking what the hell is happening with vendors at the moment. I just spent two MONTHS getting furler parts from NZ.

No way am I willing to take my chances on someone on the other side of the planet getting stuff to me on time.

They emphatically do NOT have what I need on their catalogue, which means a custom order which means a blank cheque on timelines. If it comes to that, I’ll break out the welder.

I am looking for someone who has what I need on the shelf now.
Old 15-07-2024, 04:32   #24

Gilow how about two of these side by side. Tap the block fastenings into a 12mm thick aluminium block about the size of a DVD case. Then heavily glass the aluminium block to the hull. Job done.
Coopec 43 moneys not the issue. I think Gilow is a teacher so he's easily raking in six figures for a 40 week a year job. That gives him plenty of time to work a second job at Macca's to pay for the top shelf items.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-07-15-21-18-28-362.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	292050  
Old 15-07-2024, 05:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Gilow how about two of these side by side. Tap the block fastenings into a 12mm thick aluminium block about the size of a DVD case. Then heavily glass the aluminium block to the hull. Job done.
Coopec 43 moneys not the issue. I think Gilow is a teacher so he's easily raking in six figures for a 40 week a year job. That gives him plenty of time to work a second job at Macca's to pay for the top shelf items.
Cheers
No mate, I’m retired IT. Money is no object.

I’d actually looked at something similar to your idea. When I worked out the time involved though, it was less attractive.

We are taking a break from the refit for a few days, but the Admiral said let’s just swing by Metalcorp on the way home from the holiday rental and buy the raw materials. Then I can pull out the TIG when we get back to the fleet.

Oh well, she’s probably right.
Old 15-07-2024, 06:22   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Sounds like a jib for a 3D printer with some high tech carbon fiber reinforced filaments

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 17:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sounds like a jib for a 3D printer with some high tech carbon fiber reinforced filaments
Looking at what was on the boat from 1978, they kinda did use a 3D printer. Well, the 1978 equivalent anyway, an underpaid Taiwanese welder and some stainless steel. (Actually, the stainless was utter garbage, but this is well known for Taiwanese boats of that era.)
Old 15-07-2024, 17:34   #28

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:

I have used Zephyrwerks several times, and recommend them strongly enough that is is probably worth the extra shipping to Australia.
Old 15-07-2024, 20:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
NO! NO! NO!

Did you read Matt's post? He says

"I’ve made the new system in synthetic cable, not wire, and it’s good.

The Edson link you have given is for wire rope.
But I notice you have no suggestions for an alternative. All negative and not helpful.

Wire or synthetic doesn't matter if the sheave is large enough in diameter.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 00:24   #30

Gilow did you see these Nicson steering pulleys on Facebook in Sydney?
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_16-7-2024_172327_www.facebook.com.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	292085  

Tags
steering