Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 05:50   #1

Boat: DeVisser, 42
Boat cushions

Hello, what is the best way to clean boat cushions? They are in good shape, have cloth coverings, but smell, well, like an old boat. I would like to get them clean. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Tagmann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 15:54   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Boat cushions

Cloth covers can be washed. Use cool water, Woolite (or equivalent), soak in bathtub for *a while*, won't need more than an hour, then swish them around, or use a toilet plunger to agitate. You can tell when the dirt comes out, as much as it will. This much is the good news.

With old cushions, sometimes the odors have penetrated the foam, itself. This is harder to deal with. I would soak and wash as I did the covers, then squish out all the water you can, then hang them vertically to dry. Some of the water will run out. It may take 2 or 3 days to dry, and good air circulation will speed it up, if you have a fan to blow on them. Then smell them carefully. If you can still smell "old boat" you're finished, can try washing them again in a mild bleach solution, and it may help, but it's just really difficult to make the smell go away. I washed cushions this way in a hot place, and hung them on the boat in the sun to do this, once. It's a long wait for them......

Fwiw, purchase of a used sewing machine, some fabric, thread, zippers, or velcro, and some foam from a foam shop can have you with new cushions (and possibly, a new skill, if you've not sewn before). You'll want a sharp carving knife, or a bread knife for cutting the foam, too, although a knife blade on a sabre saw will do the job, depending on the thickness of the foam.

There is a sewing group on CF, and there will be a discussion there about how to do it; also on the SailRite website; also probably on u-tube. It is an easy job, all straight seams, but it is something you'll get better at with practice.

Ann
Old 19-11-2016, 16:03   #3

Boat: PDQ 36

I agree with washing the covers, as for the foam you might try something that wicks odors out, like baking soda or charcoal. Close the foam up in a bag with a generous amount of one of these and leave it for a while. That might work too. If the smell isn't too bad, maybe some Febreeze would easily solve the problem?? or spritzing with white vinegar/water solution?
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 16:28   #4

Boat: Moody 376

When I treated ours, I'm sure I read on here that you use a spray designed to get rid of pet odour so (eg cat urine). I used this to slightly dampen the foam, then I stomped it in (particularly satisfying) then let it dry. Worked a treat.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 20:18   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Replace them.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 20:29   #6

Boat: The Walrus

I'm with Terra Nova - replace them. Go to an upholstery shop, anything you do yourself will surely look like it.

cheers man
Old 19-11-2016, 22:47   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm not sure how to get anything other than mild smells out of the cushions themselves, meaning the foam, since it can't be washed like clothes, or their covers can. Though if they were bad, & about to get tossed, I might try a carpet steam cleaner. The type which sucks out the detergent/water mix & dirt after cleaning. Since you can often rent such machines.

And on that note, one way to aid in drying them would be to use your wet/dry vacuum (Shop Vac). As I often use mine to suck out spills on carpets, or after spot scrubbing them, & carpets are usually dry to the touch afterwards.

The big caveat with cushions to me, is that once mold takes a hold in them, I don't know how you'd fully get it out. And of course, it's not the best stuff for your health, especially if you'll be sleeping on the cushions. So that even if you get them quite dry, the dampness always present on a boat, & in the sea air could bring it back to life quite quickly in most situations. And quite often, mold is responsible for much of the smell. Strong sunlight, & dry heat does help though.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 06:40   #8

Boat: DeVisser, 42

Thanks all. I will try cleaning one and see what happens.
Tagmann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:00   #9

Short term solution. Paraformaldehyde in a cloth bag. Cushion and paraformaldehyde in a large garbage bag. Let sit for a week or two. Will kill everything. Then let air out in sun.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:33   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Many odors are caused by bacteria. You could try an enzymatic product designed for pet odors. A pet store will have it, you can buy it by the gallon if you like. As Ann said, you can wash the foam and let it dry for a few days. If you put it outside drape a loose tarp over them to protect against sun damage. Should work beautifully.

Regarding pet enzymes, I used this in an old rental house that had smelly carpet. I added it to the carpet cleaner instead of carpet shampoo, the carpet came out clean and the odor was gone. Don't use soap with the enzymes. The enzymes will be consumed by the soap instead of the stinkies!
Old 20-11-2016, 07:51   #11

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Wash with detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Dry for a few days in sunlight. Spray with Odoban. Dry another day or two in sunlight.

You may be able to save them. It's worth trying before you buy new foam.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:00   #12
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

We just (as in are waiting for the new foam to be cut)bit the bullet and went with all new foam. We either washed the covers in cold water or had them dry cleaned...depending.

Best with your decision!
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 09:49   #13

I'm in a similar situation i.e. have to decide over the winter layup if I want to clean my cushions (my preference) or get new ones made. One of my marine pro buddies gave me this assessment of the situation. He basically said that it looks like the culprit is the fact that my boat was not thoroughly deep cleaned for a while either by PO or myself. By thoroughly/deep he means not just the visible usable surface which are as clean as can be but the nooks and crannies i.e. everything under the seats, beyond the seat planks (which in my case are removable by screwing the plywood), any spaces where the tanks are, polyurethane inside of all cabinets, etc. So his advise while cleaning the cushions in off seasons should be done regardless, to do this really through cleaning first thing in the spring and then paint the newly cleaned fiberglass surfaces and oil or polyurethane the teak/veneer ones. Otherwise he says even if I do order new cushions without this deep cleaning of the entire boat they will regain the "old boat smell" in one or two seasons.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions