Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 11:23   #46

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Boat lower in water

My cat sits about an inch lower if fresh water than in salt. It also goes about half a knot slower at the same power settings which I attribute to an increase in wetted area. I would be seriously concerned about a wooden boat that hadn't been out of the water for 5 years being waterlogged. I have a friend with a 1962 wooden boat and even though he pulls it every year there's pretty much always some things that need attention below the waterline. I can't imagine his boat floating for long if the bottom hadn't been attended to for 5 years.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 00:13   #47

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Boy - this is getting technical!!!

I have opened a can of worms!!!

When I was a kid we used to chop the roofs off old cars from the 40's and 50's (rounder roof lines) and use them as canoes in a nearby swamp. They had a very wide displacement and drew about 2" of water but, if a dog or someone tried to climb in, with about 6" of freeboard - you were stuffed!

So, the Bertram 35 next to me is a little lower in the water, but nearly has the same beam as me - 14'9" so it being fibreglass and me wood - am wondering weather - of course without discarding the gravitational pull, the seas rising, the density of fresh water, the El Nino effect and a full moon, whether simply the boat is a little 'denser' and has a lot of weed.

Cheers
Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:16   #48

Boat: American Marine, Mayflower, 40

Any one remember Samuel Plimsoll?
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:14   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmacca View Post

When I was a kid we used to chop the roofs off old cars from the 40's and 50's (rounder roof lines) and use them as canoes in a nearby swamp. They had a very wide displacement and drew about 2" of water but, if a dog or someone tried to climb in, with about 6" of freeboard - you were stuffed!

So, the Bertram 35 next to me is a little lower in the water, but nearly has the same beam as me - 14'9" so it being fibreglass and me wood - am wondering weather - of course without discarding the gravitational pull, the seas rising, the density of fresh water, the El Nino effect and a full moon, whether simply the boat is a little 'denser' and has a lot of weed.

Cheers
Gbmacca
Compare the prismatic coefficient. Length and bean don't tell the story.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:22   #50

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
You haven't heard about sea-levels rising?
Remember the old song "Always look on the bright side of life"? I prefer to think of it as the water in the Bahamas getting deeper.
Old 05-08-2019, 19:03   #51

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

A couple of things - boat was in Seattle and I was advised it hadn't been anti fouled for five years - whether slipped or not - not sure.

Think I said Plimsoll line in one of my posts - so yes remember all about him.

With regard to my boat sitting an inch lower - have decided to review the Coefficient of Linear Expansion, then to check on Mendel's Monohybrid Ratio and then see if the coagulated mix with the use of a Skyhook will give me my answer ----

Cheers

Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 21:59   #52

Boat: Hunter Legend 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Compare the prismatic coefficient. Length and bean don't tell the story.
The prismatic coefficient has nothing to do with relatively small changes in the waterline. It depends only on the displacement and the waterline area.
Rothblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 22:13   #53

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Cheers
Gbmacca
In the part of town where I grew up this sort of behaviour would have gotten you into serious trouble - they were mostly still driving those models of cars.

Probably a little denser, I imagine most weed has a similar SG as water or is slightly tighter.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50   #54

Quote:
A couple of things - boat was in Seattle and I was advised it hadn't been anti fouled for five years - whether slipped or not - not sure.

Think I said Plimsoll line in one of my posts - so yes remember all about him.

With regard to my boat sitting an inch lower - have decided to review the Coefficient of Linear Expansion, then to check on Mendel's Monohybrid Ratio and then see if the coagulated mix with the use of a Skyhook will give me my answer ----

Cheers

Gbmacca
Recommend you check your helium ballast levels, perhaps you boat needs a bit more so as to settle a bit higher in the water. There should be a dip stick somewhere in your bilge area that will allow you to measure the amount of helium.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water