Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 10:11   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Re: Boat Maintenance & Management Solution?

I'm sorry but my spidey sense keeps telling me this is a solicitation by a vendor disguised as a search for opinions. If so is that in accord with the Forum intentions? I know others who have specialized skill sets - Peggy Hall and some other AC folks offer their opinions and I'm certainly not offended because they are so knowledgeable. This case seems different to me, but maybe I'm off my meds and just need to relax.
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:09   #32

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Over though out, will be over priced, and re inventing the wheel .
But there will be those that buy it . but there money

A decent read of basic excel functions and you cna create MEGA logs for everything , linking pages and invetory , it can also be stored on a basic hard drive copied as many times as you like for less than the APP .

Im no computer geek but can make spreads sheets work very well , an store them. and even I know this might sound way out there but even store it on Dropbox or the cloud for free!!!!
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:14   #33

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDataCloud View Post
Hello,

I’m so excited to be part of the Cruisers Forum. I would like to share with you some of my experiences and ideas regarding the boat industry.

Have you ever been part of the discussion regarding the automation of the main tasks a captain has to perform, on a daily basis, before getting control of the vessel? What are your thoughts on the matter?

The idea is to have a system that can automatically generate relevant data through inputs inserted by a Crew member or a Captain. The aim of such a system is to always be aware of everything required for a boat to be safe on the water.

For example, this could include managing different tasks a captain needs to perform before sailing, managing inventory and giving out alerts when something finishes or expires (fuel, provisions, etc). Everything needs to be automated and accessible at any time, by all crew members of the boat.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there another way to better manage and maintain your boat?

George
George,

With all due respect, I think you’re barking up the wrong mast. A simple approach such as a spiral notebook, laminated checklist, white board or simple to do app is more than enough to handle everything required. As a fairly new (3 years) owner of a cruising sailboat with many systems its easier to use the above to document everything. Cruisers in general prefer less reliance on electronic items for the obvious reasons.

Rich
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:33   #34

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDataCloud View Post
I see. I agree with you. Finding a reliable software is mission impossible nowadays. Still, i think that finding the right one (software or app) can facilitate the way a sailor manages his boat.
Hi George,

(Sorry, I'll be a bit long-winded here...)

First, let me say that after a 20+ career developing and designing software systems for a major player in the industry you have a monumental task in front of you. Your hardest task will be defining your primary customer, and building a solution that provides useful information rather than just another data storage app.

Ignore the folks who tout white boards or disparage computers onboard. Virtually every person I know that has a boat with a battery as some form of computer onboard. And the number of boats using iPads as primary tools for navigation and record keeping is increasing much faster than the steadfast "pen and paper" dinosaurs will likely acknowledge. Those people are not likely the (initial) user base you are targeting. Also, day sailors are probably not your target audience. While day sailing record keeping for me is automated, I focus on sailing and write a narrative log at the end of the day. When crossing the Pacific or sailing between islands (5+ days) I have lots of time to log passage notes (often twice a day).

I am sure you are aware the real value of software is to take tons of DATA and collate it into USEFUL INFORMATION to the user in a way that makes it easier than existing solutions.

For example, a lot of sailors (myself included) were taught to make log entries hourly or every 4 hours religiously recording various DATA points. The single raw data (lat/lon) entry by itself is pretty useless (unless a critical event occurs), but collected during a passage that data is useful to plot a track (information) on a paper chart.

Fortunately, tracking data and other information (wind, sea temp, speed, etc.) can all be logged automatically into software via existing onboard devices that output NMEA 2000 data. (Which is what I use in lieu of the 'traditional' log books). There are already many apps which do this and record that data to the cloud via cellphone/internet if inland, or satelite.

Beyond that the type of information that is useful will depend largely on the types of sailing and cruising. So, as previously mentioned, a software package that is highly customizable where users can pick and choose the data they want to collect, track, and analyze would be more useful than an app that tries to do everything for everyone. (IMHO...2K Yachting software is an example of both...it tries to be a swiss army knife as well as some add-ons.)

For example, we might assume that everyone tracks expenses. But, that is not necessarily true. Day sailors or weekend sailors may not track expenses as closely as a life aboard or full-time cruiser. Additionally, we have to ask why we track expenses? Some people collect that data to provide others with general information on cruising costs, some people collect that data to project yearly expenses and adjust personal budgets. The problem I've seen with "nautical software" that includes expense tracking is that it looks more like accounting software than a simple way to track expenses and analyze that data.

The same can be said of maintenance logs. Some people just make simple notes of when tasks need to be done. Some people may prefer a reminder (electronic notification). Some people like to have a running record of maintenance (which is good when selling a boat IMHO). My ideal would be a link between specific tasks and provisions and expenses. For example, when I change engine oil and fuel filters I would like that task to automatically adjust my ship's store and update my monthly expenses. (Even more ideal would be a monthly notification/email of items required to replenish spares/items in the ship's store so I don't forget to order or buy something.

I also personally like the addition of a Radio Log in the DeckLog app, but again that is not something many people would use. It would be better if DeckLog would export the radio log in Cabrillo format so I can upload contacts later to my HRD software.

Spreadsheets are useful tools for collecting data, and also storing data in a cloud (as backup) and also for transferring data (such as when selling a boat). Spreadsheets are not especially useful for data analysis (without a lot of work).

So, your task is not just building a better mouse trap. But building a better solution that is highly customizable, provides useful information, and provides a strong enough base package that will make your intended user base want to change from existing solutions (even those that are cobbled together from multiple apps or pen and paper).
Old 05-02-2020, 12:40   #35

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post

Cruisers in general prefer less reliance on electronic items for the obvious reasons.

Rich
Poppycock!

Unless you only use a sextant, compass, chip log, charts, etc. I am betting you have a lot more electronic items on board than you are letting on.

In fact, I would suspect that most serious cruisers carry way more electronics than your average puddle pirate or dock hopper.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:17   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

To set a few things right, this is no disguised solicitation. Yes, we are a company ("Marine Data Cloud") which was never hidden. It is clearly evident at our signature and user profile. This post was initiated to have opinions and views exchange of current needs of sailors for boating data managment. This has been the target and still is.

To be in full compliance with the Forum's rules, a new thread has been established at the Vendor Spotlight. There you may find the full details. In this thread, if the moderator(s) do not object, we may still have a GENERAL talk about Marine Data Management & Automations. In other words, best practices and how-to for tracking tasks, maintenance, costs, etc, as well as sensors and even actuators.

@Discovery 15797 no problem with a really value-added post, regardless how long-winded can be, especially coming from fellow sailor and SW professional! Indeed, the endeavor is substantial and then some (for more, Vendor Spotlight please). We acknowledge that not everyone is/wants-to-be a systematization nerd and not everyone has the same needs nor wants. Let the traditionalists stick to pen and paper. Let others, like yourself, @slug, @tkeithlu, @Aeon, @nightowle, @er9, @conachair, others and us, go digital. Each one as much as he wishes. The digital rabbit hole goes a looong way. You take your pick.

Marine Data Cloud
MarineDataCloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, maintenance, men