Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 15:50   #1

boat plans help!!

Hi all, long time reader first post. I have been for quite some time tossing the idea of building a wooden boat and am now taking it for action. I originally was thinking big (too big) and was going to start off with my retirement boat of around 40 ft but thought better of it. I am now down to building a daysailer or weekender (if i found the right one) of around 14-18ft. The problem is which one and the method to use. I would be looking for something that is trailerable as it will be in and out of water and can crew at least 4 preferable 6. I live in Halifax NS so being in the North Atlantic is certainly something to consider although I will be spending most of my time in the shelters of the harbour. I would want something that is more seaworthy than fast (unfortunately) as I have a young family and want them to enjoy learning to sail rather than be terrified of it. On that note I have basic experience sailing but have spent the last 12 years working on the water so I am certainly comfortable at sea. The plans I have been looking at below, I would not want to spend a fortune on this boat as I will some day build a retirement boat (I would like to use the same method, thinking clinker?) and would like to have it done in a year to a year and a half picking at it. Finally I do alot of fine wood working, decks so I am comfortable with construction however detailed easy to understand plans are very important.
Cheers, and all comments are welcome even criticism.

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply
John Welsford Designs
John Welsford Designs
ww.vivierboats.com/html/stock_classic.html#begmeil Begmeil (expensive plans)
billsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 15:10   #2

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: boat plans help!!

Welcome aboard, billsan.

The cost of plans will be a rounding error, on the order of 1 to 3 percent of the materials cost. Don't even consider the cost of the plans when making your decision. Your choice of design should be based on what you plan to do with it, what you are (or will be) capable of building, and what has an emotional resonance for you.

I have a strong personal preference for taped seam ply/epoxy ("stitch & glue" or "tack & tape" methods) as a first build. It's very tolerant of mistakes during construction, it's relatively simple, you usually don't have to build a jig- but most importantly, it makes for very quick progress so that you see your creation on the water as soon as possible.

If you want to use the traditional wood-boat methods and focus more on craftsmanship, I'd suggest choosing techniques native to your region. You'll undoubtedly want to talk to other boatbuilders as you go and you'll find more common ground if you're more-or-less following the local traditions.

A taped-seam 18 footer in a year's worth of weekends is doable. Building a beautifully crafted clinker-build 18 footer in a year will put you in the shop every weekend, most weeknights and the occasional holiday.

Oh, and pick up WoodenBoat magazine. Their "Getting Started" insert series is a must-read for anyone new to wooden boat building.
Old 14-11-2012, 15:17   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

Pretty boats!! . My tip is to buy a boat already built and go sailing "now". Of course you can commence building your next boat in the mean time. :-D sorry I cant be more help as I dont really know those designs. But, I understand the desire to build your own boat. Have a look at the resale value to help you with budgeting. Ebay yachtworld etc etc
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 15:18   #4

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Welcome aboard.
Old 15-11-2012, 18:07   #5

Thanks for the replies, I am learning more every day about this and get more excited to get started once all the planning is taken care of. I am also glad to see people from my home town here on the forum so thanks for the note Mark!! As for the designs I am partial to the craftsmanship involved in the project thats why i was thinking clinker and plan to keep this boat to pass on someday. I am also open to any other designs that may be out there and if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. if there are plans for stitch and glue i would love to see what people think or if some plans offer both methods that would be perfect. As for traditional methods for this area that is part of the reason i thought clinker, and was looking at native woods to use as I have a bit of land here to get it from. again thanks for the help and the welcomes and look forward to hearing from you.
Bill
billsan is offline   Reply With Quote