Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 16:29   #46

Re: Boat refrigeration insulation gotcha for Australians (and maybe some others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
So, if you are an Aussie...
And don't forget to install the insulation upside down.

Gosh, I really don't understand how you guys can go all day long standing upside down like that
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 16:30   #47

Re: Boat refrigeration insulation gotcha for Australians (and maybe some others)

BTW, has anyone ever determined if there is really any practical advantage to installing additional insulation board around the sides/top of today's high efficiency A+++ refrigerators?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 19:26   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
And don't forget to install the insulation upside down.

Gosh, I really don't understand how you guys can go all day long standing upside down like that
Up and down are arbitrary constructs made when we did not know much about the cosmos but if you look at it from a galactic viewpoint we, down in Australia and New Zealand, are right way up and you folks in the northern hemisphere are all emulating sleeping bats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 20:10   #49

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
BTW, has anyone ever determined if there is really any practical advantage to installing additional insulation board around the sides/top of today's high efficiency A+++ refrigerators?

I don’t know, but I assume it would follow the laws of diminishing returns.
Old 24-11-2019, 22:07   #50

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Why build your own fridge freezer unit,
RV Award stores, Bunnings, Tentworld, 4 x 4 shops, Etc Etc, all have huge Freezer, Fridge units for sale off the shelf,

12 Volt, 12 and 240 volt, 12, 240 volt and LPG, units, Some are 24 volts as well,
All Plug and play,
If you can get one thru your door, A lot of boats are putting in Domestic Fridge Freezer units, Upright and chest freezers,

It must be a Victorian thing, We can get them here,
The reason for DIY as opposed to off-the-shelf chest-type models is that the insulation is inadequate and thus excessive amp draw results.
As boats tend to have limited charging capacity (without running the main engine) this is an issue.

Chest fridges such as Engel et al are technically 'vehicle fridges' and rely on the A/C of the vehicle to keep the ambient to a minimum during the day. Turn off the engine (and therefore the A/C) and internal temps can reach 90degC. This results in puddles of flavoured cream (formerly ice-cream) and warm beer.

Boats generally don't have the luxury of the ICE powered A/C to reduce ambient, so extra insulation prevents runaway temps in the first instance.

Ask anyone who's used an Engel in a boat in FNQ.....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 23:14   #51

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
The reason for DIY as opposed to off-the-shelf chest-type models is that the insulation is inadequate and thus excessive amp draw results.
As boats tend to have limited charging capacity (without running the main engine) this is an issue.

Chest fridges such as Engel et al are technically 'vehicle fridges' and rely on the A/C of the vehicle to keep the ambient to a minimum during the day. Turn off the engine (and therefore the A/C) and internal temps can reach 90degC. This results in puddles of flavoured cream (formerly ice-cream) and warm beer.

Boats generally don't have the luxury of the ICE powered A/C to reduce ambient, so extra insulation prevents runaway temps in the first instance.

Ask anyone who's used an Engel in a boat in FNQ.....
Thank you for your reply, It was a genuine question, Wanting a genuine reply,
I have a Dometic fridge freezer, Upright model, on my boat, LPG and 110 volt, 90 litres I think it is,

In 30 Celcius outside temp every day, Fiji and Vanuatu, Etc, It kept my Food frozen to minus 18 Celcius,
The fridge kept my food and beer at +1 Celcius where I like my beer kept at so I can drink it,
I used LPG when I was travelling, But because of the difficulty and cost of gas certificates in Victoria,
I swapped my fridge to 110 Volts off a 240 volt Transformer out off my 240 volt Invertor from the 12 volt battery,
It Runs off my 500 watts of solar Panels and wind generator,
The 200 amphr AGM battery handles it quite well, I havent run out of power yet to run it on 110 Volts,

I do want to put a bigger chest type freezer on my boat, For the longer trips, Im Only Restricted by door size into the boat,

Failing that, I would use commercial fridge panels that come in 2, 4 and 6 inch thick panels, And buy a 12 volt freezer compressor to fit it,

Commercial fridge panels are foam sandwiched between two aluminium sheets, Thats what all the big industrial freezers are,
Thanks for the heads up on the Engel, I didnt know they couldnt hack the pace,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 23:33   #52

Boat refrigeration insulation gotcha for Australians (and maybe some others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post

It Runs off my 500 watts of solar Panels and wind generator,

The 200 amphr AGM battery handles it quite well, I havent run out of power yet to run it on 110 Volts,

Thanks for the heads up on the Engel, I didnt know they couldnt hack the pace,

Cheers, Brian,

Brian, although you say the 200AH AGM battery bank does handle the current setup ok, you might be a bit surprised (and dismayed) by how much power is being used for such a small device. You really want to measure the actual power it uses (there are plenty of cheap and reasonably accurate power consumption measuring devices available).

Some of those little portables use more power than a well made built in fridge with four or five times the volumetric capacity.
Old 25-11-2019, 00:16   #53

Quote:
Brian, although you say the 200AH AGM battery bank does handle the current setup ok, you might be a bit surprised (and dismayed) by how much power is being used for such a small device. You really want to measure the actual power it uses (there are plenty of cheap and reasonably accurate power consumption measuring devices available).

Some of those little portables use more power than a well made built in fridge with four or five times the volumetric capacity.
Thanks GIlow, My fridge isnt a portable, Its a built in unit,

It runs on a gas, like the old Kero fridges did, It doesnt have a compressor in it, Im not sure what the 110 Volts actually do in my fridge,
But it does work very well, And uses very little power to run it,
The transformer and Invertor would use more power than the fridge does,

A new freezer unit would have a compressor, If I built it myself,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Fridge door, Table, 018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	203704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, 240 volt to 110 volt transformer 001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	203705  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,  Parts, 010.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	203706  
Old 25-11-2019, 02:54   #54

Boat refrigeration insulation gotcha for Australians (and maybe some others)

Those three way fridges use a heater element when on mains power. Horrendous power consumption.

The physics are interesting though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Easy enough to work our how much power it uses, just put a meter on either the feed to the inverter or the inverter output.
Old 25-11-2019, 07:20   #55

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post

My Engel 40 sits outside under the cockpit table in the Caribbean and it will easily keep any temp I set up up to 85F below ambient. I normally run it at 31-32F for very cold drinks.

I don't feel that it uses excess power. Heck it only consumes 3 amps while running.
Old 25-11-2019, 10:35   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
My Engel 40 sits outside under the cockpit table in the Caribbean and it will easily keep any temp I set up up to 85F below ambient. I normally run it at 31-32F for very cold drinks.

I don't feel that it uses excess power. Heck it only consumes 3 amps while running.

Yes, but what is the duty cycle? If it is 50% then that’s 36 AH in 24 hours which is close to the power used by a well made 200 litre fridge.
Old 25-11-2019, 12:57   #57

Quote:
Yes, but what is the duty cycle? If it is 50% then that’s 36 AH in 24 hours which is close to the power used by a well made 200 litre fridge.
Thats the problem, A 200 litre Fridge wont fit thru the door, Bugga,
Old 25-11-2019, 13:43   #58

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Those three way fridges use a heater element when on mains power. Horrendous power consumption.

The physics are interesting though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Easy enough to work our how much power it uses, just put a meter on either the feed to the inverter or the inverter output.
In my childhood I lived in a town with wooden houses. One of the biggest sources of fires destroying the houses was kerosene absorption refrigerators. To get the pressures where they need them to make the absorption process work efficiently they have a cushion of hydrogen mixed with the ammonia and exploding fridges, whilst not common, did sometimes occur and result in a burning house.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 13:50   #59

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
My factory installed front loading spill-over 200 liter system consumes at least twice that per day. Probably closer to triple.

We are fortunate to make 400+ amp-hours per day.
Old 25-11-2019, 13:53   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Depending on the size of an absorption unit the AC requirement is no more than a heat tape.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, insulation, refrigeration