Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2023, 04:38   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Boatyard Safety -- DIY accidents that happened to you or that you witnessed

Angle grinders are one of my least favorite tools to use. They're right up there with chainsaws for being able to do a lot of damage fast. By the time you can say "oops" it's already likely to need a trip to the hospital.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:03   #32

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Angle grinders are one of my least favorite tools to use. They're right up there with chainsaws for being able to do a lot of damage fast. By the time you can say "oops" it's already likely to need a trip to the hospital.
Routers could do frightening damage since the cutter can spin at 30,000 RPM.

"high-performance woodworking machines ... Routers with variable-speed motors run between 8,000 and 26,000 rpm."
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 15:49   #33

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

After many years of 'not reading MSDS ' , I was surprised that the use of Hemmpel's Aluextra did effect me. A-fouling in plenty of breeze , about 5 hrs exposure ,body covered but no footware , no mask . Disposable gloves failed ,some fumes .Hands and feet exposed. Result next day - dizziness and loss of balance. After (4) weeks it is clearing but did I learn a lesson !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 02:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
After many years of 'not reading MSDS ' , I was surprised that the use of Hemmpel's Aluextra did effect me. A-fouling in plenty of breeze , about 5 hrs exposure ,body covered but no footware , no mask . Disposable gloves failed ,some fumes .Hands and feet exposed. Result next day - dizziness and loss of balance. After (4) weeks it is clearing but did I learn a lesson !!

On another forum (YBW) some of the "experts" were suggesting MEKP as a liquid suitable for removing Kwik Grip (contact cement). I was aghast and tried to warn them but was kicked off the forum before I could.

MEKP is extremely dangerous.
"MEKP is listed as a highly toxic substance and is categorized into United Nations Hazard class 5.2. [3]. Its colorless nature and minimal odor"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4521457/
Old 06-11-2023, 02:58   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
On another forum (YBW) some of the "experts" were suggesting MEKP as a liquid suitable for removing Kwik Grip (contact cement). I was aghast and tried to warn them but was kicked off the forum before I could.

MEKP is extremely dangerous.
"MEKP is listed as a highly toxic substance and is categorized into United Nations Hazard class 5.2. [3]. Its colorless nature and minimal odor"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4521457/

Kiwi Grip is a coating, not something applied with contact cement. Maybe they were talking about Treadmaster or similar?

I sure hope they meant MEK. Otherwise, not at all smart.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:01   #36

I was trying to do a good job on the shower/toilet on the yacht I was building. I had taken note from several forumites who emphasized the need for soundproofing. I had fitted an exhaust fan (130 cu ft/min) which was quite noisy when in use (I thought that was good). I lined the bulkhead with wet area paneling.

When it came to the door I figured there should be no gaps and the door edge should close onto a foam rubber strip for further sound proofing. Finally I made up a fiberglass (divinycell cored) door.

Then I entered the toilet and attempted to fit the door into a fiberglass door frame but (not surprisingly) it was a little too "proud" in a couple of areas. After carefully sanding the door it finally fitted.

Then I tried to get the door out of the frame . Not to worry I'll get a screwdriver and lever it out I thought. But (in semi darkness) I could find absolutely NOTHING that could be used.

Eventually I found a small 1/2" screw which I hand-screwed into the gap between the door and the door frame and after about X5 attempts I was able to remove the door. PHEW!!
Old 06-11-2023, 03:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Kiwi Grip is a coating, not something applied with contact cement. Maybe they were talking about Treadmaster or similar?

I sure hope they meant MEK. Otherwise, not at all smart.

KWIK grip
Old 06-11-2023, 06:15   #38
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Yeah, the only way I've managed to remove dried contact cement is with a sander.
Usual precautions, of course
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, boat, DIY, safety