Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: bonding wood to fiberglass

if you don't screw it on .. i am pretty sure it will eventually fall off .. been there done that.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: bonding wood to fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao dave View Post
Contact Gougeon Bros tech helpline or their website there was excellent article on bonding to teak.....some of the suggestions that the epoxy will "pop" are fanciful to say the least.

Properly applied the teak will be worn down before the epoxy gives up it's grip

Gougeon qualified epoxy tech.
Sorry mate.... you may be a qualified tech and me an inept worker but most epoxied teak I've seen on other boats and ones I've done the job on inevitably end up with big and small yellowing blisters where the teaks rejecting the epoxy after 12 - 18 mths....
But as I said...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:09   #18

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

Ok so if just bonding the wood isn't the best idea what do you suggest if I don't want the appearance of screws through the wood what about screwing them from inside the boat to the backside of the wood?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
Ok so if just bonding the wood isn't the best idea what do you suggest if I don't want the appearance of screws through the wood what about screwing them from inside the boat to the backside of the wood?
You should bolt them through the hull with the bolt heads countersunk into the teak. Then you cover these with teak plugs. Pretty standard procedure.

I would us a polysulfate as bedding compound, like 3M 101 or LifeCaulk from BoatLife. If you ever want to get rid of the trim you can just take them off (101/LifeCaulk is not an adhesive) and just fill up the holes.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I take it you don't want the telltale wooden plug thats normally used to hide screws....
you could drill and screw from the inside but make sure to pre-drill the timber with pilot holes to facilitate fastening... also reduces chances of wood splitting... or just put in fewer and more widely spaced to act as clamps and long term aids to strength..
Best bet is as Bergy said...
if Mahogany...' there's UV resistant epoxy's... give each piece 3 coats then bond... it won't fall off... and if you wax it each time you wax the boat it should look good for quite a while

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54   #21

Boat: 24' sailing paraw - traditional Filipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry mate.... you may be a qualified tech and me an inept worker but most epoxied teak I've seen on other boats and ones I've done the job on inevitably end up with big and small yellowing blisters where the teaks rejecting the epoxy after 12 - 18 mths....
But as I said...
Yellowing of epoxy sounds like it's been left exposed to UV (sunlight), in sunny climes this will occur in as little as 6 months
Epoxy should be painted (or see below)

I'm picturing this application as having the epoxy under the teak and therefore protecting the epoxy from UV degradation.
If you want the caulked effect of black caulk between teak strips add carbon powder to the epoxy (almost negates UV degradation)

I can't and won't comment on your skill level but Gougeon estimates 80% of all epoxy bond failures are down to incorrect preparation and mixing.

"Rejecting" the epoxy? The epoxy, properly applied, migrates into the pores of all woods, not far, but upon seperation you will see some wood embedded in the epoxy.....if it's not then it s.a.s. ain't been applied properly. Applied properly it will tear pieces of wood out with it.

I've even applied epoxy onto teak deck pieces......3 coats looks like 12 coats of varnish, a really deep finish.....BUT it needs protection from UV with an epoxy compatable varnish.
panglao dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao dave View Post
Yellowing of epoxy sounds like it's been left exposed to UV (sunlight), in sunny climes this will occur in as little as 6 months
Epoxy should be painted (or see below)

I'm picturing this application as having the epoxy under the teak and therefore protecting the epoxy from UV degradation.
If you want the caulked effect of black caulk between teak strips add carbon powder to the epoxy (almost negates UV degradation)

I can't and won't comment on your skill level but Gougeon estimates 80% of all epoxy bond failures are down to incorrect preparation and mixing.

"Rejecting" the epoxy? The epoxy, properly applied, migrates into the pores of all woods, not far, but upon seperation you will see some wood embedded in the epoxy.....if it's not then it s.a.s. ain't been applied properly. Applied properly it will tear pieces of wood out with it.

I've even applied epoxy onto teak deck pieces......3 coats looks like 12 coats of varnish, a really deep finish.....BUT it needs protection from UV with an epoxy compatable varnish.
Sorry... I thought thats what I said... it'll fall off...
And the above is why I never recommend epoxying teak decks... as some owners often want coz it looks pretty...
did it on an old Jongert.. despite my warnings.. and the guy was gutted watching his deck bubble and lift/yellow... lost a lot of good teak fixing the mess...

Old 04-03-2011, 12:08   #23

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

As for clamping them, try this. Get half a dozen pairs of 8 foot long 1x2s. (They should be long enough to stand on the ground and have the top end up over the toe rail.)Hold them vertical against the hull side, and loosely tie the top ends to the toerail. Then tie the bottom ends to the cradle base or to the opposite 1x2. Tightly so that the top ends are sprung. Then release the top ends a bit so you can place the trim. When you go to put the trim on, put it in position and tight up the line from the toerail, thereby pulling the 1x2 in tighter to the hull. There,s your clamp. You can pad them with strips of carpet.

Putting the trim on alone is going to require some juggling. Tie some lengths of light string to the toe rail and hang it down to the approximate level that you want the trim strip at. Then go along and place the trim where you want it and tie it at that level. Leave it hanging. Then go do the 1x2s.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

To confirm what some others have said, I'd go with the screw and plug method, or screw from the inside. If the trim is going to be a rub rail or bumper of sorts, it's going to have to be screwed on, especially if it's put on a rounded surface.

Mahogany makes a less weather durable exterior wood unless lacquered.

The problem I see with epoxy is when the boat twists/flexes. Epoxy dries hard not allowing for any movement, depending on the size of the wood surface being bonded. The more surface area the better the bond.
Old 04-03-2011, 13:44   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The problem I see with epoxy is when the boat twists/flexes. Epoxy dries hard not allowing for any movement, depending on the size of the wood surface being bonded. The more surface area the better the bond.
Yes, use West System G/flex epoxy or similar from other manufacturers. As the name implies it is "flexible". It is as strong as their normal epoxy. I buy the thickened version in tubes (50/50 mix) and like it a lot, because 99% of the jobs I use it for need it syrup consistency which it already is. Add a little Colloidal Silica (=Cabosil) if you want it thicker.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 19:27   #26

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Did anything better come up over the last 6 years?
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:34   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Did anything better come up over the last 6 years?
Nope
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass