Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 15:54   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Book Recomendation

I am in the process of ordering some books from Amazon. These two are on my list, but I am not sure which one I should order or if I should order both. I would also be interested in other suggestions.

Both are by Nigel Calder.

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems: Nigel Calder: 9780071432382: Amazon.com: Books

Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual: The Complete Handbook for Coastal and Offshore Sailors

Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual: The Complete Handbook for Coastal and Offshore Sailors: Nigel Calder: 9780713683516: Amazon.com: Books
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:05   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Re: Book Recomendation

I've honestly never seen the second one, and it's an import and there are no reviews on Amazon for it. No description or anything, so I'd say no to it unless someone else posts with more info on it.

The first one is fantastic and almost every cruiser I've ever met has a dog-eared copy. It definitely got us out of several jams. I particularly like that it covers pretty much all systems on a boat -- if not exactly yours, we found that it always gave enough info that we could muddle our way through a repair.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:07   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Everyone should own #1, and I suspect #2 is probably great also but I have never seen it.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:21   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Try and see if your local library carries either of those books ! cus ya can ck em out online and copy them if ya wish and all for free! just a thought
Old 07-02-2013, 16:39   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quite a good publication .Recomended Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual: The Complete Handbook for Coastal and Offshore Sailors

Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual: The Complete Handbook for Coastal and Offshore Sailors: Nigel Calder: 9780713683516: Amazon.com: Books

Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual: The Complete Handbook for Coastal and Offshore Sailors

Can't beat Dashews Cruising Libary.

Instant Library

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:50   #6

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

www.alibris.com has many copies of Boatowner's Practical and Technical Cruising Manual from $26.00
Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore Sailors by Nigel Calder, Calder Nigel - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I own both. The "Practical and Technical Cruising Manual" is aimed at the prospective cruiser. It explains how to select and equip a yacht for cruising, and how to navigate it.

The chapters are:
Part one: the boat
Chapter 1. a boat for cruising
Chapter 2. on deck
Chapter 3. cruising accommodations
Chapter 4. electrical systems
Chapter 5. the rest of the systems
Chapter 6. acquisition strategies

Part two: cruising skills
Chapter 7. boat handling under power and sail
Chapter 8. piloting, navigation, and the rules of the road
Chapter 9. anchoring, running aground, and kedging off
Chapter 10. the ditty bag
Chapter 11. weather predictions and heavy weather sailing
Chapter 12. extended cruising and staying in touch

I found it interesting but aimed at the affluent (not 500$/month) cruiser.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Try and see if your local library carries either of those books ! cus ya can ck em out online and copy them if ya wish and all for free! just a thought
And why would you want to steal from Nigel Calder? He's done a great deal for the cruising community in addition to being a cruiser himself. What say we buy books we want instead of steal them?
Scott Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 14:28   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

If you ever get thru the first one alive then you will know exactly which direction you want to head next.

Look at some books by John C. Payne.. The 'Bible' one is easy to read and interesting. I would buy it again.

(Marine-Electrical-Electronics-Bible-Practical-John-Payne)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 14:50   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I recently upgraded to the latest edition of Book #1. My old one was over 20 years old and a bit dated. Like others have said it's a must have on any cruising boat.

Don't know anything about Book #2 but from the looks of the table of contents there may be a lot of duplication in Part 1 of it. I'd go instead with Beth Leonard's book for the cruising skills.

The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising: Beth Leonard: 9780071437653: Amazon.com: Books
Old 14-02-2013, 23:10   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44CC
Send a message via Skype™ to seanseamour

I have used Nigel Calder's books since 1995 and have followed him in his contributions to hybrid propulsion technology. Always a good reference. Another you might want to explore on a totally different topic (also an ebook) is the story of my own experience with loss of boat and extraordinary rescue by USCG "A Storm Too Soon", see my website www.artseaprovence.com for more info.
Old 14-02-2013, 23:40   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I recently upgraded to the latest edition of Book #1. My old one was over 20 years old and a bit dated. Like others have said it's a must have on any cruising boat.

Don't know anything about Book #2 but from the looks of the table of contents there may be a lot of duplication in Part 1 of it. I'd go instead with Beth Leonard's book for the cruising skills.

The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising: Beth Leonard: 9780071437653: Amazon.com: Books
+
It is fantastic.