Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 18:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boom gallows - yes or no?

Here is a drawing showing a Tashiba 31 with a Boom Gallows on it. In this drawing it is located above or over the companionway hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1618.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	136396  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Nice vid SH but what does it have to do with a gallow I ask good naturedly ,in all friendly. mw.
The video(s) I posted was to illustrate how an uncontrolled boom can swing across a boat very quickly, and dangerously for the crew.
Old 17-11-2016, 19:08   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I have now posted two video clips that show how the crew has to duck as the boom sweeps across during an uncontrolled gybe.
The boom height is what it is on those race boats, Steady, and if the gallows was there, and high enough to protect their heads, then the boom couldn't gybe at all without hitting the gallows. If the boom is high enough to clear one of those high gallows that you posted, then it can't hit a head, even without the gallows!

I reckon that the gallow's purpose is to steady the boom at rest or w hile reefing, not to protect the crew from accidental gybes. And we use our permanent preventer/vangs to steady it when required, tensioned against either the sail or the rigid vang.

I'm not against having a gallows if one desires it, just saying that your safety example (head protection)is flawed IMO.

Jim
Old 17-11-2016, 20:18   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not all boats have a rigid Vang to hold up the boom.

________

And, on some boats, the boom can be low, as this photo shows, just about head height for the seated crewman in the cockpit who is seated next to the traveler in the cockpit. I have seen some swing low over a companionway hatch.

Each boat is different, of course. Some have high booms, some sailors lower their booms to the deck when sails are stowed, and some let their booms swing back and forth in light wind or no wind.
________

I expect it is like anything related to boat design, some will like it, some won't. Some will see utility, others useless.

Traditional boats had and have boom gallows for a reason. Just like racing boats have some particular things developed for their type of sailing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1620.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	136397  
Old 17-11-2016, 21:44   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Perhaps I am missing something but the boom, when the sail is up, will be above the gallows and above the head of someone standing in cockpit. A gybe should not hit head nor gallows ordinarily in typical cruising boat. When boom is in gallows, it is still above most heads, no? I guess a gallows protects your head if sail is down and topping lift breaks (or there is no topping lift) and protects your head if halyard breaks (or someone pops it loose) when sail is up. The boom won't be low enough to hit the gallows in a gybe unless the halyard breaks while it is gybing. On a racing boat, no gallows, and check your head! I have my boom on the low side due to the cut of my current main, so I have my kayaking helmet handy! The other plus to a gallows though is that it is nice to have some other strong fixture to grab and hold onto when one is relieving oneself...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 22:20   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have a single gallow on Joli Elle. It's biggest function for me is allowing the boom shadow to lie down, preventing shadowing on the solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nov 2012 002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	136422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 2012 003.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	136423  

Name:	Nov 2012.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	136424  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 08:35   #22

The shape of sail will keep the boom above the gallows otherwise the boom would hit it every time you tacked or gybed. Therefore you cannot reef whilst the boom is on the gallows otherwise the tack would be too low.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:02   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
A boom gallows was the only practical way to rig a bimini on my little gaffer,

Best use I ever saw though was on a beautiful 42' center cockpit yawl owned by a friend. The helmsman sat at the aft end of the cockpit, and just in front of the boom gallows. Suspended from the boom gallows was a nicely varnished wooden barrel, which in actuality was a cooler just big enough to hold a 6-pack and some ice. For the Captain's use only of course lol.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:18   #24

I always reefed with the boom set in the gallows and it is no problem. I built gallows on my previous three cruising boats and will build one for the boat I am working on now. Obviously I am a fan of gallows. I really dislike topping lifts that have to be adjusted too often to keep them from beating up the leach and the biggest dislike is the potential skull fracture from a topping lift that lets go. Rigid vangs can help with both of these issues, but I have doubts about having a strong downpull of the mainsheet going against the vang which is pretty far forward. If you are motoring home in bad weather the natural inclination is to tighten the main sheet to stop the boom from swinging and that puts lots of strain on the topping lift which is rarely as strong as a halyard. If that pull is against a rigid vang, the geometry of it puts a huge bending strain on the boom where the vang attaches. A gallows is usually rock solid to hold on to while moving around, but putting triangular bracing (lines) to keep a boom from swinging is just another tripping point and doesnt help at all if a topping lift lets go. I have sailed enough delivery miles without gallows to compare with and without and my choice will always have one if possible. Just another opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:50   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The boom height is what it is on those race boats, Steady, and if the gallows was there, and high enough to protect their heads, then the boom couldn't gybe at all without hitting the gallows. If the boom is high enough to clear one of those high gallows that you posted, then it can't hit a head, even without the gallows!

I reckon that the gallow's purpose is to steady the boom at rest or w hile reefing, not to protect the crew from accidental gybes. And we use our permanent preventer/vangs to steady it when required, tensioned against either the sail or the rigid vang.

I'm not against having a gallows if one desires it, just saying that your safety example (head protection)is flawed IMO.

Jim
Maybe I'm wrong? I thought gallows were to relieve tension on the topping lift while not sailing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:54   #26

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I may lack sufficient imagination for I fail to see a reason to get a boom gallows. At rest you can tighten the topping lift. The same goes for reefing. Under sail a preventor prevents those deck clearing gibes. So what does the gallows add besides windage and clutter?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 10:20   #27

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I find the easiest way to secure boom on my my boat is to center boom with Mainsheet tightened. Very little swing. If I want to off center it, same process but move the traveler.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 10:33   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Boom gallows are really nice to have when the main is down. The boom is locked into the gallows and won't move. A big positive on a boat that is rocking or sailing without a main as in storm conditions or at anchor. Makes it way easier to move around the boat when you have something solid to grab onto. The gallows was also nice as a hand hold/support in itself. Can also make a nice terminus for a bimini or an awning if far enough aft or support for part of a dodger if far enough forward.

Boom gallows have nothing to do with actually sailing the boat. A topping lift is still required to raise and keep the boom from banging into the gallows.

Had a gallows on the last boat and it was a very nice thing to have. Don't know that I would spend a lot of money adding one unless it did double duty.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 11:50   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have depended on a gallows often - taking the main down in exposed waters before entering a harbor, or when shortening sail to headsail only. Securing a mainsail while standing on top of the cabin as the boat makes wild motions (without the steadying effects of full sails) can be unnerving, and even dangerous. A boom secured by topping lift and sheet, even with preventers, moves too much to be a safe place to hold onto. With the boom held down into a gallows by a cleated sheet it becomes a strong handhold while securing the sail. Personally I would not want to be doing water sailing">blue water sailing without one.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:42   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Gallows are fine as long as they do not interfere with something.

This much said, I like to hang the boom away from the cockpit (a small boat here) and so standard gallows are not long (that is: wide) enough!

I have seen gallows that had telescopic extensions. Now that was super cool and would work on our boat too.

Our gallows double up as handholds so this is a ++ here.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote