Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 11:07   #1

Boat: Nordship 808
Bottom job - but how?

It is inevitable, my bottom, or rather my boats bottom is due for the big job.
Remove 30 layers of old antifouling and reapplying primer and paint.

But how do people do this with the side-support-pads of the cradle covering 4 areas on the bottom? (Plus the areas under the keel that sits on wood blocks)

I guess I can loosen the pads individually to scrape off the old paint, but when it comes to priming and painting, it would be really annoying to have to do one area at a time, considering that one needs many layers of primer + 2-3 layers of paint.

What is a good method?
Doing it all, and then getting the crane out and shift the whole boat a bit so that the 4 pads sits in a new place and then do them in one go?
It would be a bit expensive in craning, but ?
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 13:26   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bottom job - but how?

What we've done is to arrange to paint those patches in the slings, prior to re-launching.

As you suggest, it would be pretty expensive to have to keep liftiing the boat to move the struts, but some yards have worked out methods for adding more, so that they can safely move them for you. Talk about it with the boatswain in charge. The final coat will go on hanging in the slings, awaiting launch.

Ann
Old 03-06-2024, 14:15   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Add a few extra stands after painting in such a way the allow moving the first few to finish the work. Yards have lots of stands
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 21:57   #4

I should have clarified, that I have my own cradle, with "fixed" side supports. (They are a bit adjustable, but up and down, and tilt).

We do not have a yard, we have our own marina, owned by the boatowners, so we can do all he work we want ourselves, In respect of environmental regulations of course.

So maybe it's fine just to call out the crane for an extra lift. It would cost me about 200 USD extra.
I just like to be able to do everything myself, and they won't let me drive the crane

I'm not keen on doing paint in the slings. I would only have time to put on some antifouling, but not 4 layers of primer.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:21   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Does your cradle have fixed supports for the boat or adjustable poppets? If they're adjustable, you can add separate stands to allow you to lower 1 or 2 of the cradle poppets at a time for painting, then it's just the bottom of the keel to worry about.

Depending on the yard, sometimes you can arrange for a Monday morning launch, but get them to put you in the slings on Friday and leave you hanging over the weekend for work like this.

As far as an extra lift, in my mind that's the stuff the yard is there for. The limited selection of things I can't do myself.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:49   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

His isn’t “rocket science”. Borrow, rent or buy a few additional stands. Sounds like the group to which you belong all has the same issue doing this would solve.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:55   #7

Sorry if my question was not "rocket science" ..

But it sounds like there is no "clever" way to do this, besides using extra supports or getting the crane out to shift the boat.

Asking the crane to keep my boat in the slings for a day is not an option

It's fine - thank you all for the replies
Old 04-06-2024, 11:15   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorMade View Post
Sorry if my question was not "rocket science" ..

But it sounds like there is no "clever" way to do this, besides using extra supports or getting the crane out to shift the boat.

Asking the crane to keep my boat in the slings for a day is not an option

It's fine - thank you all for the replies
I have never known anyone to keep the boat in the sling for an entire day. Just lift her up in the sling paint the spots under the pads and splash her. Yes ideally you would wait 24 hours but it has never been an issue in my experience.

If you are sanding and priming then you may wish to have them move it this once so you can do a better job but for bi-annual antifoul paint just painting the four small blocking spots while in the sling has never been a problem.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:22   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Would this work?
Cheers/Len
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack stand_20240604_0001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	290568
Old 04-06-2024, 11:30   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
I have never known anyone to keep the boat in the sling for an entire day. Just lift her up in the sling paint the spots under the pads and splash her. Yes ideally you would wait 24 hours but it has never been an issue in my experience.
Our marina won't do it if it's an inconvenience to them, but generally they consider leaving something in the slings overnight or over a weekend (when they're not using the equipment anyway) to be no big deal so an owner can finish up some final work that couldn't be done until the boat was off the cradle or stands. Just has to be coordinated as far as where you fit in the schedule.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I was once in a situation similar to this.

I got about 10 pieces of 4x4 posts and some pieces of plywood, I cut into 12"x12" squares.

I arranged the posts around the boat, jammed them into the ground and tilted them towards the boat, with the piece of plywood riding on top.
It all worked fine. In general the weight of the boat is borne by the keel, the posts just provided support.

Not something I'd consider for long term, but certainly a day's worth, maybe even several days if you are confident in your placement.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Would this work?
Cheers/Len
Attachment 290568
I really think that could work ! Great answer - thanks a lot