Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 18:59   #1

Boat: Tartan T4400
bottom job for PNW

Aloha all I know Washington state has put on hold their ban on bottom paint with copper in it. I thnk a decision is due the end of this year. Looking at heading that way in a year of two. Currently need to do a bottom job on my boat. Currently have Petite Vivid (contains copper) not really happy with the performance I am getting out of it. Looking at going to barrier coat durning my haul out later this year so now is the time for me to change paint.
Wonder what Paints Washington and British Columbia allow. I don't want to go spend a couple of years there an have to remove bottom paint if I haul out in the PNW in two or three years. I am also looking at Coppercoat for my bottom. I am trying to find out if it is allowed in the PNW.
I appreciate any input suggestions you can provide.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: bottom job for PNW

Don't think there is any requirement to remove bottom paint just not use copper paints if and when the copper ban is actually enforced. Wouldn't hold my breath on the ban going into effect as there doesn't appear to be a viable replacement for copper paint on the horizon. That's not to say that the powers in Seattle would be reasonable or rational, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 13:51   #3

RoverHi my concern is if I put Petite Trinidad on at this time and they ban Copper paints like Petite Trinidad will the new copper/metal free paint be compatible if not I will have remove it instead of just a light sanding and add a cost of paint in a year or two. I just don't want to spend the time and boat dollars to do a bottom job now only to have to redo it in a few years. Some areas in SoCal have already banned copper paints and Wa had beend copper already just extended the date from 2020 to 2021 for a review. Agree there is not good alternative it.
Old 02-05-2020, 21:39   #4

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

Hey Gudgeon. Fellow PNW bloke here. I would go with whatever paint you want that is compatible with what you have now. Hard or ablative is the key choice. I'm hauling out as soon as they open back up from this darn pandemic, and I"m going to use the same paint I've used for many years. WM PCA Gold ablative. I go two years, and though I get slime, never had anything hard. I sure hope they don't ban copper because the research seems to show the alternatives are worse for the environment. Bottom line is that to keep marine life off our boats, it takes something nasty!

What is the Navy and commercial industry using these days? You can bet it is nastier than sailboat stuff.
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:50   #5

Boat: Camano 41

Gudgeon, this Vancouver Island guy uses Micron CSC and have always used it since TBT was outlawed. 2 years ago I decided to go the barrier route as the paint build up was moulting, and had the hull soda blasted. Installed 2 coats of Interlux 2000, each coat in a different colour, and have never been happier. When we went offshore, I mixed 1 lb of cayenne pepper in the CSC and although a little bumpy came out clean after a year of tropics cruising.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:24   #6

Bwindrope thanks for the reply. I am thinking of changing paint as I am not happy with what I have now. Figure if I have to go the metal free route now is the time. We were looking at heading to the PNW in 21 now with this virus pandemic we may delay a year. I still need to do my bottom this year. Have read that in Washington there are some restrictions on having your bottom cleaned by a diver if you have a soft ablative? Yes I am sure the Navy and large commercial are using metal paints but are exempt from what I have read.
Greg Mason Thanks I do have a barrier coat and do a first coat of bottom paint in a different color so I know if there are wear spots. I currently get a lot of grass at the water line and slime every where. nice to hear wht you are having success with
Old 03-05-2020, 10:31   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Aloha all I know Washington state has put on hold their ban on bottom paint with copper in it. I thnk a decision is due the end of this year. Looking at heading that way in a year of two. Currently need to do a bottom job on my boat. Currently have Petite Vivid (contains copper) not really happy with the performance I am getting out of it. Looking at going to barrier coat durning my haul out later this year so now is the time for me to change paint.
Wonder what Paints Washington and British Columbia allow. I don't want to go spend a couple of years there an have to remove bottom paint if I haul out in the PNW in two or three years. I am also looking at Coppercoat for my bottom. I am trying to find out if it is allowed in the PNW.
I appreciate any input suggestions you can provide.
As published in Northwest Yachting, February 2020, the move to phase-out copper paint in 2021 has little consensus and that 2021 is unacceptable in Olympia.

That said I have a couple of gallons of Pettit Trinidad HD and waiting for the marinas to open up scheduling haul outs.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:32   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Hey Gudgeon. Fellow PNW bloke here. I would go with whatever paint you want that is compatible with what you have now. Hard or ablative is the key choice. I'm hauling out as soon as they open back up from this darn pandemic, and I"m going to use the same paint I've used for many years. WM PCA Gold ablative. I go two years, and though I get slime, never had anything hard. I sure hope they don't ban copper because the research seems to show the alternatives are worse for the environment. Bottom line is that to keep marine life off our boats, it takes something nasty!

What is the Navy and commercial industry using these days? You can bet it is nastier than sailboat stuff.
It really just takes a diver to get anything off your boat bottom.
Seems the best option for the environment and our divers that really need the work.
The military could care less about the Environment, so referencing them to what we can use is folly.
It's cheaper to scrape than haul.
If you want the extra smooth bottom, hassle free, we All must stay within the guidelines of what choices we get.
I'd like to hear more about the statement that non copper bases are as bad or worse for the enviroment.
What components are you referring to?
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cloud Duster has it figured out. I can afford a diver twice a month for a couple of years for the cost of one haul-out for "professionals" to put on today's nearly worthless bottom paint in a yard that doesn't allow DIY work. I previously used Petit Trinidad religiously for 30 years when is was 70% plus copper content. Nothing would grow or attach for at least a year, after two years some fuzz would start appear and after three years plus maybe it was time to recoat.

Pleasure boats contribute 3% of the copper in Puget Sound. Meanwhile the Washington State Ferry System is exempt, the military is exempt and all commercial shipping is exempt from the reg.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 20:03   #10

Boatyarddog The statement came for the Feb 2020 issue of NW Yachting in the on Watch section Priorities + Consensus = Legislation, please read the article here is the link to back issues https://www.nwyachting.com/back-issues/. I am not a cold water diver and if we are out cruising for a few months would like to have the bottom stay clean. I am just looking for suggestions on what my a options are to comply with the states rules. I had good performance out of Pettit Vivid for a long time. Not sure what change the water or Vivids make up but I have had that performance after my last haul out. Figure if I am changing paint it would be smart to use something that is compliant for where we plan to go in a few years.
Old 03-05-2020, 20:39   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

My choice is Sherwin Williams bottom paint.
The big commercial boats use it.
They will deliver it to the boatyard here in Portland.
Check it out.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 20:43   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
Gudgeon, this Vancouver Island guy uses Micron CSC and have always used it since TBT was outlawed. 2 years ago I decided to go the barrier route as the paint build up was moulting, and had the hull soda blasted. Installed 2 coats of Interlux 2000, each coat in a different colour, and have never been happier. When we went offshore, I mixed 1 lb of cayenne pepper in the CSC and although a little bumpy came out clean after a year of tropics cruising.

How many gallons did you mix the one pound of cayenne pepper into?
Whats the ratio ?
Thanks
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44   #13

Boat: Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
As published in Northwest Yachting, February 2020, the move to phase-out copper paint in 2021 has little consensus and that 2021 is unacceptable in Olympia.

That said I have a couple of gallons of Pettit Trinidad HD and waiting for the marinas to open up scheduling haul outs.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
I’ve always had good luck with the Pettit Trinidad HD. A little expensive but it rejects the barnacles really well.
I always go with the light blue so I can see if there is any moss along the waterline. It’s easy to brush off when it’s still young, but once it gets a holt, it’s impossible to get off.
Puts some extra coats along the waterline and were the prop comes close to the hull. And the tip of the bow too.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote