Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 21:33   #16

Re: Bottom Paint - in Tahiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'd be surprised if Altex No 5 was available in Tahiti (I think it is only available in Aust and NZ). Have you included freight in your calculations? (It is a very, very heavy paint)
(10L in Australia cost over $AUD500)

Altex No 5 is not a hard anti-fouling and you would probably need about 10L-15L for a 34ft yacht. (Coverage is about 5m2 and they recommend 2 coats)

I had to put the first coat of No5 on the same day as the last coat of barrier coat went on.
I can’t do any more. I put up the link to their catalog I’ll even tell you what page, it’s page 34. Here’s the link again. Sin Tung Hing Marine - Catalogues

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 22:48   #17

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I can’t do any more. I put up the link to their catalog I’ll even tell you what page, it’s page 34. Here’s the link again. Sin Tung Hing Marine - Catalogues

My apologies you are right. I was taking Altex online website a bit too seriously.
"Altex No.5 Antifouling is recommended: Where multi-season effective fouling protection is needed Where regulations ban or restrict the use of organotin compounds On yachts, tenders, dinghies, trailer yachts and power boats Altex No.5 Antifouling is: Compatible over other copper based anti-foulings, where recommended preparation is achieved Not suitable for use read more »
Availability: - New Zealand - Australia

The only thing I'd worry about is the preparation needed for whatever Capt's existing antifouling is. Altex, being soft (I think I'm right there!!) is not suited to what is wanted.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 06:20   #18

Boat: Monohull 34 feet

Thanks for all the information!
I was in contact with the guys from carboline and they told me that No5 and Vivid are both suitable on Trinidad Pro but they would go with No5 which are both available at Sin Tung Hing as SimonV said correctly.

Now I only need to choose between one of them.

Trinidad Pro was pained 2,5 years ago but since then the yacht was in the water and in may 12 month not moved so I guess a good cleaning light sanding and new antifouling should be necessary.
Cpt Balu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 10:15   #19

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Balu View Post
Hi Guys,
who know where to get Bottom Paint (Hard Antifouling) on Tahiti?
I was already looking at Noonsite but unfortunately all shops are on french language :/ and I did get no reply in English :/
So I was wodnering if somebody knows where and what kind of hardantiefouling they sell at Tahiti. Furthermore what it costs

Many Thanks,
Cpt Balu
First FP vendors are not like those in the EU or North America - Meaning emails rarely get responded to. Especially if you write in English. We find it best to call them and often we ask our french speaking friends to make the call. But the best is just go to the shops and look/ ask what they carry. Many will give you duty free on the paint cost.

Some folks ship their bottom paint in from the states and use a freight forwarder. This has worked well for a number of boats. So if you can't find exactly what you want then you may want to go this route.

There are a number of different kinds of bottom paint available in Papeete. You just have to make the rounds until you find what you are looking for. We have been using Hempel which there are a number of shops that carry this brand.

Using Tahiticruisersguide to locate the various shops before you make your rounds may help you.

Good Luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 18-02-2019, 00:00   #20

Thanks all,
I have now found 3 different paints which would work and are available on Tahiti.
Now I just have to find out which is the best for South Pacific and NZ sailing.

1. No.5 - Copper Ablative
2. Pettit Vivid - Aluminium Safe
3. Pittit Hydrocoat - Water-Borne

What are the differences and which is the best for the purpose?

Many Thanks
Old 18-02-2019, 07:58   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Balu View Post
What are the differences and which is the best for the purpose?
I will tell you this about Pettit Vivid- it is an extremely soft paint and if your sailing grounds are an area where regular in-water hull cleaning is necessary, it will be scrubbed off in short order. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am typically telling the very few customers I have that use it that use that they need new paint within about a year's time after splashing.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:43   #22

Hmm ok so maybe no. 5 is the right choice

Tags
bottom paint, paint, tahiti