Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 14:25   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Bottom Paint in Washington State-Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreDoug View Post
I have never used a non-ablative and want a product that will last multiple seasons but would like to avoid a major bottom prep project to be able to apply the new paint.

The cost is irrelevant. I will spend what takes to obtain the best paint for my needs.
Take it from this California hull diver, you will not find a better performing hard anti fouling paint than Pettit Trinidad SR.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 14:28   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreDoug View Post
Hey Sand Crab,

It's the Clean Marina program implemented by the state dept. of ecology back in 2005. Slowly but surely more and more marina are signing on to the program, it's well over 1/3 of marinas in the state at this point and growing rapidly.

It seems all or most of the marinas I frequent have signed on and no professional divers will scrub your hull if you've got an ablative bottom because they're hit with a $1000 fine if caught. They can still scrape off large growths and grass but won't do anything that can cause cloudy water from ablative layer coming off.
The regulation regarding the cleaning of ablative paints in Washington has nothing to do with the 100% voluntary Clean Marina program. It is a state law. And the fine is as much as $10,000, not $1000.
Old 31-03-2019, 18:01   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

And it's a stupid law designed to stroke the sensitivities of the idiot donor class who vote for unicorn existences.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. and

Meanwhile, in another thread, the military can poop all they want in an NDZ as if it actually matters in the first place.

"Death of an anchorage" thread if you're interested.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 19:37   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
And it's a stupid law designed to stroke the sensitivities of the idiot donor class who vote for unicorn existences.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. and

Meanwhile, in another thread, the military can poop all they want in an NDZ as if it actually matters in the first place.

"Death of an anchorage" thread if you're interested.
except puget sound is not a ndz ( yet)

Trinidad Sr on the Spencer 5 years still was working great when sold.
Old 31-03-2019, 19:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The regulation regarding the cleaning of ablative paints in Washington has nothing to do with the 100% voluntary Clean Marina program. It is a state law. And the fine is as much as $10,000, not $1000.
they put that ban on hold pending further studies . ( results are expected by summer 2020 )
Old 31-03-2019, 22:08   #21

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Dumb, dumb, dumb. and
We could, perhaps, debate who is the dumber one here. There is no doubt that Puget Sound has serious problems. The Sound is becoming more acidic. Bacterial pollution is increasing. Low dissolved oxygen zones are becoming more common. Concentrations of toxic chemicals are increasing. Fish and invertebrate populations are declining. Not scrubbing ablative bottom paints in the water at a marina, or sanding paints and varnishes over water in a marina, or dumping holding tanks in marinas or moorage areas seem like fairly common sense things whether they are illegal or not.

Seems to me to be a dedicated cruiser is to have a closer connection and a higher respect for the waters of bays, near shore areas, and the open ocean than the average person. If those waters are degraded, our lives are made poorer as a result. I can't reverse that by myself, but I will certainly do my part. I can only hope other cruisers do theirs.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 22:12   #22
Marine Service Provider

The US military is exempt from any of the silly state water quality regulations, as are foreign vessels and probably the Washington State Ferry System. What's good for the goose is definitely not good for the gander if the gander is a taxpaying citizen.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 22:34   #23

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
The US military is exempt from any of the silly state water quality regulations, as are foreign vessels and probably the Washington State Ferry System. What's good for the goose is definitely not good for the gander if the gander is a taxpaying citizen.
You might want to research this a bit before offering statements such as the above. While, as a matter of law, federal facilities and vessels aren't required to obey state law - in practice they actually do. Specifically, all federally owned vessels have holding tanks and use them within Puget Sound. Commercial vessels and cruise ships are also equipped with holding tanks and use them for sanitary waste within Puget Sound, as do Washington State Ferries.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...n-02132017.pdf
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 22:48   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
actually you are incorrect here on that one the us navy has holding tanks and sewage treatment plants onboard and have has for a long time ( I was in charge of them back in the late 1980's) the wsf has holding tanks and pumping stations at the docks .

All vessels operating within 3 miles of the shore in us territorial waters must hold their sewage onboard while transiting.
Old 31-03-2019, 22:53   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
You might want to research this a bit before offering statements such as the above. While, as a matter of law, federal facilities and vessels aren't required to obey state law - in practice they actually do. Specifically, all federally owned vessels have holding tanks and use them within Puget Sound. Commercial vessels and cruise ships are also equipped with holding tanks and use them for sanitary waste within Puget Sound, as do Washington State Ferries.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...n-02132017.pdf
as to puget sound being a ndz well nope its not as of now. The rules are still not in effect and are actually still being challenged in court.
New EPA studies actually show that puget sound is not as polluted as they thought.
You have to hold black water but there is as of now still no need to hold grey water onboard.
Old 01-04-2019, 00:51   #26

I'm very impressed with the SeaHawk cukote. My friend recommended it to me.
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:59   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
they put that ban on hold pending further studies . ( results are expected by summer 2020 )
No, what you're referring to is the ban on copper-based anti fouling paints, which is not the regulation forbidding the cleaning of ablative paints. These are two separate pieces of legislation.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:10   #28

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Does anyone here have any experience with Copper Coat? I know it's expensive but they claim a 10 yr life.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with Copper Coat? I know it's expensive but they claim a 10 yr life.
I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But YMMV.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57   #30

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

I see everyone keeps saying they use Petite but (hope im not saying something obvious) but do you know that the West Marine brands are cheaper and they ARE petite. Petite makes all the west marine paint. Like the PCA Gold I get is actually the Petite Trinidad SR (I think that's the one petite told me). If you call the customer service number on the west marine can you get Petite customer service.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint, washing, Washington