Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 15:27   #16

Boat: Irwin, Sloop, 28
Well the paint came from a naval yard so ill never really know. So going to scrape and sand the entirety of the boat bottom and start new. Might get more paint just to ensure I can coat it enough. But thanks for the location and tips.
Macncheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:33   #17

Boat: csy 37
Re: Bottom Paint Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Trinidad is the best anti fouling paint available, IMHO. However Pettit has reduced the copper content in both the Trinidad SR and Trinidad Pro (identical products, BTW) to 60%. They now process the copper differently than in the past, making less copper work more effectively.
i notice that you're in california. i wonder if pettit sells a different formulation under the same name in your state because of environmental laws. i just did my bottom in may of this year and the trinidad professional in red was 75% copper.

macncheese - you may find that two gallons cost about the same as one gallon and two quarts. check the quart/gallon prices before you buy. and i really don't think you'll need more than two gallons. after applying two coats use the remainder to put extra paint on the leading edges, the bottom of the keel (you may run aground and scrape some off) and all around the waterline for up to maybe a foot down. and don't forget to save some to do the parts you can't get to until the boat is put in the slings.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:42   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i notice that you're in california. i wonder if pettit sells a different formulation under the same name in your state because of environmental laws. i just did my bottom in may of this year and the trinidad professional in red was 75% copper.
There are no restrictions on anti fouling paint copper content in California. Trinidad Pro is Trinidad Pro regardless of where it is sold in the country.

Trinidad Pro
TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB923

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Cuprous Oxide 60%

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...inidad-Pro.pdf
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 15:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are no restrictions on anti fouling paint copper content in California. Trinidad Pro is Trinidad Pro regardless of where it is sold in the country.

Trinidad Pro
TECHNICAL BULLETIN TB923

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Cuprous Oxide 60%

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...inidad-Pro.pdf

i'm shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

after reading fstbtms post that pettit has reduced the copper content in trinidad i had to find out for myself. just last may i bought trinidad pro in red with 75% copper. so i went back to the store where i bought it.

it's true. the newest formulations are much reduced. jack, the ornery owner of the store, told me he can't get the 'old' formula anymore. just to check on him, i went through his stock and sure enough found one 'old' can left and compared it with one 'new' can. it was the blue color which used to be 65% copper and is now 56% copper. red is no longer the highest copper content color - it's blue, with 65% copper. damned if i'm going to paint my bottom blue!!!

pictures show jack's current crop of pettit pro. on the left of the 'group' picture are two cans of blue; one is 'old' and one is 'new'. the other picture shows the different copper percentages of what appears to be the same paint.

glad i did the bottom this year. hopefully i won't have to concern myself with this for the next four years or so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	69598   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	69599  

Old 30-10-2013, 15:37   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, again, I find no difference in anti fouling performance between the old Trinidad and the new.
Old 31-10-2013, 07:02   #21

by the way, i said in my last post that the highest copper content color of trinidad pro was blue, with 65% copper.

that was incorrect. it is 'light blue'. the regular blue has 56%, as reported in the rest of my post.

my apologies if you ran out and bought a case of blue....
Old 31-10-2013, 07:44   #22

Boat: Irwin, Sloop, 28
No, not yet thanks a nautical ton. I would rather have red....but for the % I my go with another color. If I didn't find this site and the good people on here I'd be lost purchasing more then I need and wrong contents . Just to let you know you probably saved me 3-400 dollars and hours of work.
Macncheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 08:37   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

I was just checking out Petit's website and have some questions. The product data sheet says it can be launched up to 60 days after applying. Does this mean that if your boat is in New England and comes out for 5 months every year that it will not be good come spring time?

The product looks really good and obviously I trust your opinions, I'm just not sure if I am interpreting that correctly. Can you leave your boat on the hard for 5 months between seasons with out having to reapply the paint?
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 08:55   #24

One gallon should do on that boat. Leave that "submarine paint" on there! ... at least under your new coat. 39% isnt very high copper content. 50%+ would be nice if they still sell it.
You may find that the old paint you have is better than anything you are putting on. Are you getting alot of growth?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I was just checking out Petit's website and have some questions. The product data sheet says it can be launched up to 60 days after applying. Does this mean that if your boat is in New England and comes out for 5 months every year that it will not be good come spring time?

The product looks really good and obviously I trust your opinions, I'm just not sure if I am interpreting that correctly. Can you leave your boat on the hard for 5 months between seasons with out having to reapply the paint?
iirc, after you put in your newly painted boat, you can take it out for up to 30 days, after which the paint turns into a pumpkin or something. but some boatyard people have said if you just give it a light sanding it should be good to go again.

for a really good opinion, you may want to go on the pettit website and ask that question..... (and please let us know what they say).
Old 31-10-2013, 14:11   #26

Ive tried them all and my best results are as follows, prep hull as you would with any boat, i bring mine to the barrier coat I applied when new. mix slow epoxy with 8 lbs per gal of cuprous oxide. let cure. scuff surface to expose copper. launch, I am going on 6 years in FL
gradstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 17:15   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
for a really good opinion, you may want to go on the pettit website and ask that question..... (and please let us know what they say).
Pretty sure they will tell you to follow the directions on the can or web site. No way they would advise otherwise.
Old 31-10-2013, 17:45   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post

Ablative paints are usually no problem to keep out of the water. It's the hard paints that have issues. I'd check with Pettit but Interlux Micron Extra ablative paint did just fine on my boat after a 3 month haul out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint