Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2023, 17:07   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Bottom Paint Storage

How long will ABC3 ablative bottom paint last in sealed gallon cans?
Thanks
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 17:54   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Bottom Paint Storage

I don't know for sure but think in terms of a year or two.

Paint of any kind deteriorates. There are preservatives that can be added to slow the process down but those involve costs and other tradeoffs as they tend to reduce the performance of the paint in various ways.

It depends on storage conditions too. If it's kept in the fridge at 50° it will last longer.
Old 12-04-2023, 18:06   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've used 3-4 year old bottom paint before. In sealed, relatively full cans (unopened is better) it keeps pretty well. Just settles, so it'll be hard to mix back up. Solvent based paints stored partially used can sometimes be perked back up with a little bit of thinner added in.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 18:47   #4

My recollection is that PPG says the shelf life of ABC3 is 1 year.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 04:31   #5

Boat: Tartan 4100

I've stored full, unopened cans for a couple of years without performance degradation. I always try to flip the cans upside down every couple-3 weeks to keep the solids from forming a hard pack at the bottom of the can, which may be the reason for success. I usually find deals on paint and buy them ahead of need being a frugal person and the paint is solvent based ablative, not water based.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 05:47   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
How long will ABC3 ablative bottom paint last in sealed gallon cans?
Thanks
Its on the label - at the bottom beside the bar code - shelf life is 1 year from shipping date, which means nothing.
When was the paint made by PPG? When was it shipped to the seller? How long did it sit on the store's shelf?
I looked for but could not find the date of manufacture on the can, maybe it is in code, but not transparent to the user. See below - not sure why the picture rotates after loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230413_082321.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	273982  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 06:21   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've tested paint up to 6 years old, using test panels in water, against new paints (presumably the same formulation) and found no measurable difference. Obviously, a more stirring is involved. Specifically, they were Petit and Interlux solvent-based paints.

Of course, this was a very limited experience with solvent paints only and could vary. But I have never been disappointed by old paint, and I have used paint up to 10 years old. I have used opened but well-sealed cans at 2 years many, many times with no difficulty.

Water borne house paints are vulnerable to infection and can go bad much sooner. I don't know about antifouling paints, but my guess is the Zn and Cu inhibit that.

--

The only coating I have found I really can't trust to keep is varnish, so I buy that in small cans that I will use within months.

I like to seal cams with aluminum duct tape. Solvents can't go through metal.
Old 13-04-2023, 06:33   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if it is solvent based and still liquid .. i would say it is still worth using. maybe test small area for color consistency.
Old 13-04-2023, 10:18   #9

If I were a paint manufacturer I would state shelf life of one year. That would remove any liability and possibly mean another gallon, or thousands of gallons a year in extra sales.
The above would be even if knew it lasted 10 years.
Just sayin is all.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2023, 14:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
If I were a paint manufacturer I would state shelf life of one year. That would remove any liability and possibly mean another gallon, or thousands of gallons a year in extra sales.
The above would be even if knew it lasted 10 years.
Just sayin is all.
But on the flip side, as a manufacturer you should also place the expiry date on the label and have the ability to receive back all the unsold stock at a loss.
I think most people would not buy paint near or at the expiry date.
Old 13-04-2023, 15:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
But on the flip side, as a manufacturer you should also place the expiry date on the label and have the ability to receive back all the unsold stock at a loss.
I think most people would not buy paint near or at the expiry date.
Well, that doesn’t make sense. As a manufacturer I would be happier to see loads of my products go into landfills, after all, it’s the money that counts, actually, thats all that counts.
Old 14-04-2023, 02:34   #12

Thanks guys. My local ABC3 distributor only sells it in 5 gallon pails. i probably only need one gallon. Its a matter of economy and long term success, unless i can resell to other boaters. So i was thinking of buying new empty cans and repackaging it.
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 14-04-2023, 06:45   #13

I wouldn’t have any issue doing that, but i would top the can with Argon. I do that with all my paints and varnishes.
Old 14-04-2023, 18:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Thanks guys. My local ABC3 distributor only sells it in 5 gallon pails. i probably only need one gallon. Its a matter of economy and long term success, unless i can resell to other boaters. So i was thinking of buying new empty cans and repackaging it.

jon
The same in my area, I will consider doing that but I'm ok for now, I have 1.5 gallons left from my last stint 2 years ago.
The reason I think is that PPG does not want to enter the yachting area, preferring to stick to commercial ships. I just hope that they keep their price points.
Old 15-04-2023, 05:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I wouldn’t have any issue doing that, but i would top the can with Argon. I do that with all my paints and varnishes.
How do you do that?

Tags
bottom paint, paint, storage