Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 06:25   #1

Boat: Catalina 400 2001 40 feet
Bottom Pait Stains and Particals

Recently the owner of the boat next to me decided to hire someone to sand off his bottom paint. He did not drape tarps around his boat to catch the dust. As a result I have blue particals and dust on my decks and in my cockpit. I had my boat covered from the mast aft for winter. My forward deck and coach roof is a mess of of filth, stains and bloches from the dust particals.
What could I use to clean this mess up and get the white of the coach roof and grey decks back to thier original colors?
SeaDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 06:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Bottom Pait Stains and Particals

I would think that the best tool for this job would be the "hands of the offending boat owner" .....

You should also equip yourself with an umbrella drink or two while you supervise the remediation project....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 06:56   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Bottom Pait Stains and Particals

Boat Zoap and bleach. If you have gelcoat porosity, this can be permanent staining and a big deal. Don't let it sit after a dew fall, clean it immediately. If it gets damp and then sits there it will stain. There are generally rules about this stuff. I'd visibly photo document it, and then ask nicely for it to be taken care of. If not dealt with responsibly, I'd go to yard management and let them know you will be contacting the EPA to mention the highly illegal bottom paint dust all over your boat. It will be dealt with right away, but you may not be welcome there again. Sounds like it would be no loss.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal