Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 13:33   #1

Boat: Newport 30
Bottom Rudder Post Bushings

Hello all.

Just wondering if anyone has changed the bottom rudder post bushing on a Newport 30?

After noticing some slop, I changed the top bushing (quite a challenge as the deck-side race had become oblong, and the new bushing was, of course, not!), but the slop is still there, although reduced.

I'm trying to get a feel for the difficulty level I should be expecting.

Thanks

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 21:32   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Bottom Rudder Post Bushings

I did my own. I just bought a piece of the right bearing material, placed it on the rudder post, centralized the rudder post/bearing and then epoxied the bearing in place. Duramax is the bearing material I used but I only needed about 4 inches of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41Rr-HLVGyL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	198678  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 11:03   #3

Boat: Newport 30

Thanks Coopek. Do you recall the diameter of the old/new bushing"?
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 18:45   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

[QUOTE=westwon;296393

Well my rudders stock is 2 inch in diameter. To find yours you will have to use a vernier and measure it or if that can't be done go to the manufacturer's specifications.

Try going through these links

" [I]My next step was to carve out the foam blank around which I built the rudder. It was very easy and took less than an hour. I used a 6'' piece of 3/8” rebar sharpened to a chisel edge. I was left with the finished fiberglass shell. I was going to order a new Stainless Steel 316 post (the old one was actually bent and had lots of pitting). The post was 50” by 1-7/8” O.D. but the damn things cost about $100. Plus I''d have to get the cross tabs welded on and I''d still have a future issue of corrosion and failure. So I opted for going with 100% composites. I ordered a Carbon Fiber (and Epoxy) post, www.rolledcomposites.com out of MA (super pricing on any rolled composite) with the same O.D. as the stainless but with a wall thickness increase of about 100% (1/4"). This post will have its weaves and threads at 45, 90 and 180 degrees at various stages and have about 135% more torsional, compressive, and modulus strength as the old stainless measure, so I''m basically very comfortable with it."[/I]

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...port-30-a.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-30-2
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-30-2
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/newport-30-3
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder