Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 18:37   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Bottom scrubbing machines, does anyone use one ?

https://youtu.be/DcJsqJpx394

Just wondering how well they work ?

The add says it removes every bit of growth, including barnacles, hmmm not convinced yet.

It also says no antifoul needed with a scrub once a month, I think more often might be required where I am.

If I had no antifoul costs it might even out with no polluting.
Old 18-06-2019, 18:58   #2

Re: Bottom scrubbing machines, does anyone use one ?

There was something like that on Clear Lake, California in the mid-80s. We trailered our Catalina 22 swing keel there and left her in the water all summer (trailered back to SF and sailed The Bay during the winter). No bottom paint. The weekend we hauled out we'd go over to the scrubber, pull the keel up, remove the rudder and run her through.

Did a great job getting scum and LAKE (fresh water) growth off the bottom. After a few years the bottom, while still clean, got a green tinge, but could have been from all the algae in the water at that particular lake. We did that for two or three years before we sold the boat, at the lake.

I have no idea how it'd work in salt water.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That’s interesting. My first thought was that it probably couldn’t clean the prop on an inboard powered boat. Paint the prop with Prop Speed and it might not be a issue for a year or more.
Old 18-06-2019, 19:25   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quite interesting idea, I wonder how it works for salt water growth :/
Old 19-06-2019, 08:32   #5

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
https://youtu.be/DcJsqJpx394

Just wondering how well they work ?

The add says it removes every bit of growth, including barnacles, hmmm not convinced yet.

It also says no antifoul needed with a scrub once a month, I think more often might be required where I am.

If I had no antifoul costs it might even out with no polluting.
I checked out the website: https://driveinboatwash.com/

Gives specs for power and sail boats.

There is one in Sidney, BC and soon in San Diego. It would be interesting to hear from folks in Sidney on the effectiveness of this bottom cleaner.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:39   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Not quit the same, but similar and also an interesting idea: the "keelcrab"
It works in swimming pools. But a boat is much more complicated and for such an investment, I would love to see independent more convincing reviews first ...
http://keelcrab.ditmer.nl
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 08:55   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Interesting. We've used a manual Dri-diver scrubber/cleaner for years and it works well in conjunction w/a hard (non-ablative) bottom paint.

Compared to this machine the DD is much cheaper for the initial equipment cost, very portable and only only takes a few minutes to clean the hull. Downside it will not do vertical surfaces (skeg, rudder and keel) or the prop.
It polishes the antifouling hard paint surface and also helps reduce hard paint build up (which then reduces prep for new bottom paint).

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:03   #8

Boat: X-Yacht X332

I used one last year - I am 99% sure it is the one in the video (Vollen/Asker/Norway) - compare: https://driveinboatwash.no/oppsamlin...rlend-nordbak/.

It definately helps. I had my 33' sailboat out for 2 years and used it twice and when taking her onto the dry there was less growth.

But then it was for free (sponsored by the Ministery of Environment afaik) earlier and in 2019 it costs about NOK 1800 (US$ 206) for a season (5x). Would never use it 5 times; drop-in: 90$.

For me it would not be a replacement for bottom paint, but it prolongs the effect.
trikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:37   #9

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Im in Florida in a river so i have tide going in and 4 hours later fresh water going out . A barnicle haven.
In summer my diver ( once a month) uses a Remoria machine . Just amazing results ! it looks like a water proof large drill with 6 or 8 brushes. 30 min and the 38 morgan is done. Water line looks amazing too. Im coming up on Year four with the bottom paint 4 coats of Sea hawk Tropic at the waterline 3 on the hull ! a red than 2 Blue coats over top . So when diver sees red i have maybe 9 Months left. Summer water temp in the gulf can be 93 now 86 !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 03:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc bulterys View Post
Not quit the same, but similar and also an interesting idea: the "keelcrab"
It works in swimming pools. But a boat is much more complicated and for such an investment, I would love to see independent more convincing reviews first ...
http://keelcrab.ditmer.nl
How does it stay attached to the hull ?
Old 22-06-2019, 09:49   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
In summer my diver ( once a month) uses a Remoria machine . Just amazing results !
https://youtu.be/Y_Q3S-r0iGs
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 10:02   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So in response to the OP- here are some of the drawbacks of a drive-in boatwash device:

1.- Cleaning brush is one-size-fits-all. Ablative paint requiring a soft touch? Bummer for you. Bare spot needing a little extra elbow grease? Too bad.
2.- Will not clean running gear.
3.- Will not clean thru-hulls and transducers.
4.- Will not replace anodes.
5.- Will not remove shelled animal growth.
6.- Is slower than a human hull cleaner.
7.- Requires delivering the boat to the machine's location.
8.- Provides no pix, video or condition report.

Etc., etc., etc.

BTW- if you think a brush (of any kind) is going to clean an unpainted bottom, you've never tried to clean an unpainted bottom.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Im in Florida in a river so i have tide going in and 4 hours later fresh water going out . A barnicle haven.
In summer my diver ( once a month) uses a Remoria machine . Just amazing results ! it looks like a water proof large drill with 6 or 8 brushes. 30 min and the 38 morgan is done. Water line looks amazing too. Im coming up on Year four with the bottom paint 4 coats of Sea hawk Tropic at the waterline 3 on the hull ! a red than 2 Blue coats over top . So when diver sees red i have maybe 9 Months left. Summer water temp in the gulf can be 93 now 86 !

We are in Florida as well and the hot months make the barnacles grow VERY quickly where we are. We have our boat scraped every 2 weeks in the hot months and we stretched our paint to almost 3 years. We moved our boat and our new diver had one of those scrubbing machines and our paint only lasted one year. Our neighbor who had a significantly expensive bottom job had the same problem with short paint life and he was pissed. I think its a good tool but I do not think its an every month usage in my opinion,maybe just for heavy scum.
Islandhopper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 17:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhopper26 View Post
We are in Florida as well and the hot months make the barnacles grow VERY quickly where we are. We have our boat scraped every 2 weeks in the hot months and we stretched our paint to almost 3 years. We moved our boat and our new diver had one of those scrubbing machines and our paint only lasted one year. Our neighbor who had a significantly expensive bottom job had the same problem with short paint life and he was pissed. I think its a good tool but I do not think its an every month usage in my opinion,maybe just for heavy scum.
If you scrub that often maybe you should look at a hard paint good for 10 years, something like VX10?
Old 07-07-2019, 21:19   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you scrub that often maybe you should look at a hard paint good for 10 years, something like VX10?
Seacoat V 10 X is not a hard paint. It is a biocide-free, foul release coating. It does not work like anti fouling paints and it is not compatible with anti fouling paints. And, it is unproven in the recreational boating market. FYI.