Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 00:52   #16

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
Re: Bought a Never splashed Colvic 33 on eBay. Looking for infos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
I realized I spoke a little to soon about the there being no water damage, after I watched your you tube video, but I still think you will be alright. It looks like someone had put a lot of time into this vessel at one point and was pretty close to getting it finished but then just walked away and left it to the elements. But it looks as if they seem to have a decent knowledge of building the boat, it seems like the layout is decent and they were doing things with some knowledge and skill behind it. Un till the water got to it, that is.
Yeah there is a “bit” of water damage. As I understand the previous owner had a bit of a bad divorce and the wife made the boat fall into a Lawyered Dimension from which it never emerged.
This is what I was told by the Marina, no idea if it is how it wend down.
It looks like the previous owner used a professional company to fit out the boat interior. We found some scribblings that suggest that, even tried to trace it but no luck.

At some stage the boat filled completely with water and the Marina had to drill the hull. For me it’s a bit of a blank canvas and we’ve been lucky enough to find the owner of a Colvic Countess that is copying his set of plans for us.
As luck would have it the owner of a Chandlery in our marina has a Colvic Countess. It seems that a stroke of luck has actually provided us with the plans we were missing.
Still on the look out for Hull / HIN number …
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_173133.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	167647  
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:57   #17

So the ballance of the the Build for this week has mainly been washing the NEW tender, scrubbing radios with a toothbrush and getting the outboard fixed. We had a NICE introduction to Neptunes sense of humor and that left us recovering for most of the week.

As Lady luck would have it...we done nothing we wanted and a lot of what we did not want.

There's a small vid of us on youtube after the new Mariner 8hp died on us leaving us stuck in the mudflats of Chichester. It's also the only mudflats in the world that smell of Rose Petals.

Oddity on Youtube.
Old 10-04-2018, 17:07   #18

And the Strip and build begins !

And so, it begins in earnest, today we managed to take the first window to see how damaged and difficult it would be. It was not as bad as expected. The hatches (doors?) to the chain and anchor locker also removed so they can be repaired as the Ply turned to mush. And the interior swimming pool emptied. We also managed to copy the first layout of a Colvic Countess set of plans as a test. Came out perfect and it solves the problem of having nothing on the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10042181.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	167910   Click image for larger version

Name:	10042182.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	167911  

Name:	10042183.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	167912   Click image for larger version

Name:	10042184.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	167913  

Name:	10042189.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	167914  
Old 11-04-2018, 14:54   #19

And another wonderful day Sailing, The water was perfect the winds just right and even the mournful seagulls sounded cheerful with the appearance from the sun. But we saw none of that deep in the bowels of Oddity hacking away at the rotten ply and mush of 30 years of abandon.
The Pile outside is growing at an alarming rate, but at the same time showing me how much personal luggage my wife can bring aboard.
We gutted and gutted carefully accessing her state and must admit she looks surprisingly well above my expectations.
Tomorrow we hope to have her hull bare.
And Yes… we did cut a bulkhead. For a start !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1104181.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	167952   Click image for larger version

Name:	1104183.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	167953  

Name:	1104184.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	167954   Click image for larger version

Name:	1104187.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	167955  

Name:	1104189.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	167956   Click image for larger version

Name:	11041816.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	167957  

Old 01-05-2018, 02:49   #20

The fun of a refit is never ending, As we were about to lift and move her so we can start working in earnest, I realised I may have forgotten something for which i slaped a pos-it on my monitor. I forgot to do the internal framing so the shape does not suffer when lifting and moving her. I'm keeping the post it.

Just added a new video depicting her and the issues we found.
Hope you guys enjoy it and remember to sit down first.

0005 The Lady

Remember to give it a thumbs up
Old 01-05-2018, 03:47   #21

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOddity View Post
Thanks guys, we do have a sense of humour, and we did spend 2 years looking at so many boats that I think some brokers will break down in tears at the mere mention of our names. We looked at everything from 55 feet to 30 but every boat we saw failed at conquering my heart and passion. Then I saw this poor abandoned hull and I just knew she had to be splashed.

Im going down to her now to try and find a HIN number. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
This! It's an affair of the heart.. Having the finished boat as you would like it is a great pleasure. I know from experience that it's a moving Target.. After every season of use further changes and improvements are required. Just have a look at Dockheads' posts it's all ways in process.. don't be in a hurry but keep on trucking?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
This! It's an affair of the heart.. Having the finished boat as you would like it is a great pleasure. I know from experience that it's a moving Target.. After every season of use further changes and improvements are required. Just have a look at Dockheads' posts it's all ways in process.. don't be in a hurry but keep on trucking?
It is indeed an affair of the Heart. It may make no sense to some, elicit the odd brow movement or even a sneer, but there is nothing that remotely compares to the feeling of satisfaction you get for work done on a vessel meant to sail you in your idea of comfort and safety.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19   #23

And I have to announce that after a week of INTENSE looking and washing and using high powered flashlights everywhere on that hull even washing the transom with lemon juice at one stage. We found the Hull number.
The Hull number is VERY small and on the middle of the transom just in front where the ladder is and we looked at the transom with a fine comb, toothpic and a magnfying glass. Nothing to be seen or felt anywhere, 36 years of rain and dust and grime did a number on the number. (pun intended)

Having the help of the Colvic owners association “unofficial Archivist” also helped and we know that she was cast in 1982 and has the respectable age of 36 years of age.
We also managed to track down plans for her. All plain sailing from now, a wash and a polish and she will be ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ODDITY HULL NUMBER 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	169023  
Old 02-05-2018, 16:38   #24

The Blistering Blistery Blisters & Bubbly Bubbles of Osmosis

You know when you’re looking at a pimple and you just feel like bursting the thing? Well I had some lovely blisters on the hull and I managed to resist the temptation till today when I first grabbed a hammer and then the drill and transformed my hull into a Suiss Cheese.
The bubbles form very high up, I know that at some stage the boat was full with water. The lower part of the hull seems “Bubbleless” nothing to be seen or felt.
Some were just voids, the others burst like a pimple. Some wept the others looked as a crater on the moon, just with less moisture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	^2A09B29CAAD0AEC9E3FFC6B9A7A9246F89E9CEED01AF8551DB^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	169127   Click image for larger version

Name:	^4D26BE42F9C80EDA355284625C86897BCFA52DE458400BCE69^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	169128  

Name:	^200F2AAEFE20DA71304569B2C1B95A4897284EB231E9FC532F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	169129   Click image for larger version

Name:	^1144D0D2837CFB1066E06A4057CD0AD14EE572AFE0BC0D2A0D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	169130  

Name:	^C68453677A2B1A31529C38038947EC64713650D8B25083D694^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	169131   Click image for larger version

Name:	^D8572B712A3E53F68556FA2C69FD25C39E909D49D08D6E945F^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	169132  

Old 02-05-2018, 23:06   #25

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOddity View Post
The fun of a refit is never ending, As we were about to lift and move her so we can start working in earnest, I realised I may have forgotten something for which i slaped a pos-it on my monitor. I forgot to do the internal framing so the shape does not suffer when lifting and moving her. I'm keeping the post it.

Just added a new video depicting her and the issues we found.
Hope you guys enjoy it and remember to sit down first.

0005 The Lady
I love your new channel... Sub'd, and I'm excited to be in from, essentially, the beginning! I was laughing my a$$ off when Greg said, "The wood, just needs a little bit of sanding." Then that access panel falls through! "See, just a bit of sanding." That was brilliant. You guys are hilarious! I can't wait to see you guys in the fabrication phase. You two will be a hoot to watch!

Congrats on your project! Looking forward to following your progress on YT!

~Harrison.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
I love your new channel... Sub'd, and I'm excited to be in from, essentially, the beginning! I was laughing my a$$ off when Greg said, "The wood, just needs a little bit of sanding." Then that access panel falls through! "See, just a bit of sanding." That was brilliant. You guys are hilarious! I can't wait to see you guys in the fabrication phase. You two will be a hoot to watch!

Congrats on your project! Looking forward to following your progress on YT!

~Harrison.
Thanks Dude.
This channel actually started as a response to a LOT of people that took a very “strong” view of us buying the hull. Trying to “save us” in an approach of let’s burn your body to save your soul type of thing. There’s a LOT of myths going around marinas concerning GRP boats and what and how they should be.
Seems it’s time a true Nerd (hehe) takes one on. I am going to do some weird stuff to that hull. I did build boats before but wood. Not GRP. Having said that, my material knowledge comes not from boats but from working on a few projects that used advanced composites. I may very well screw the all thing up.

I did make the first video for my wife, I was not expecting more then 100 views and 80 would be from the wife. Well I hope you guys enjoy our endless ramblings and astounding discoveries on how to balance a kettle on a beam inside a hull.
Old 20-12-2018, 16:26   #27

Sorry for not posting any updates... we've been in hiding. We bought another boat. A smaller 22 that was aptly named Selkie and we've been refitting that one so we can refit the other. Makes sense does it not?

We're still working on Oddity and this one was meant to be a dig for us so we could avoid the travel time. We bought her cheap and did not expect to have to refit her. Having said that, we then had a summer in the UK like none I remember and the pull of the water was just too strong. we prevaricated I’m afraid.

But as things go were out of the water refitting Selkie as we speak and on a tight schedule.
Old 20-12-2018, 17:28   #28

Just a short 8m were we are with it.
It has been strange and took a bit of getting used to being recognised by people we never met. Phil was walking on Gosport marina and there was a dude on a building shouting “Phil we love you. “
I just made the first video to save my own ass for buying a project boat without telling the wife. Way to go before morning coffee.
But here we are. Doing the refit and still asking for crazy advice and taking it all in its stride.
We want Oddity to go Hybrid diesel electric. You would not believe the amount of flak we’ve been getting for it.
We’re looking to buy a second-hand diesel car in the Uk and get the engine out and connect it to a gen unit as main propulsion and use a small bank of batteries as emergency power.

https://youtu.be/Vgi-afySUog