Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2018, 15:42   #1

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
Bought a Never splashed Colvic 33 on eBay. Looking for infos

HI ALL,
Please.. be GENTLE my very first post
Long have I been lurking on this forum but never posted. I did not have a Sailboat and felt somewhat of a sweet water sailor for that. But after 2 years of search for a boat that would fit my wallet and my skills and requirements I ended up buying a Colvic Countess 33 on eBay in the UK. In my defence it was before coffee and my machine needs an upgrade as it is OBVIOUSLY too slow. (and I never win any auctions on eBay…)
I bought it because I realised that it had never been finished or splashed as it was not even drilled for the prop shaft.
My interest lies with the Hull. She’s going to be named SV Oddity and she’s not gonna win any races but she’s a comfortable true-blue water cruiser and for her size feels like a 36 /38.
As she’s a very rare model from Colvic craft I’m trying to find as much info on her as possible as I only have a bill of sale.
I’m already gutting her and doing a total refit. She was never finished and left forgotten, so she’s technically unfinished from the 80’s
Looking for any comparable models with the raised saloon and pics more then anything.
Also looking for some info’s on how to make a water maker “homebrew” style. I do come with some skills and experience fabricating marine parts for some of the best Yacht and Power Boats brands in Europe.
Still trying to get to grips with the forum but I do have a video on youtube that I made for the wife that shows her in all her glory and bad cinematics 😊 SV Oddity on YouTube.
Thanks in advance for all the kind help and advice I know you guys will provide.
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Bought a Never splashed Colvic 33 on eBay. Looking for infos

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

I did a quick google search of the CF site and only found a few mentions of the Colvic Countess 33. A search for info on the boat seems to have been done before. See the threads via this link.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...%20&gsc.page=1
________

Here is a link to Colvic Countess Owners group page.
It has photos and contact names for more info.
The photos I post below are just a few from that site.
https://countessowners.org
________

I like to see photos of boats we discuss on CF, so I will post a few photos to show other readers the type of boat. However these photos may not be from the very same model. Posted here simply to give an idea to others.

33 foot Countess , bilge or fin keel, sloop or ketch, centre cockpit or wheelhouse

I hope this helps you and others.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9886.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	167395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9887.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	167396  

Name:	IMG_9891.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	167397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9888.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	167398  

Name:	IMG_9889.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	167399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9890.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	167400  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:51   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOddity View Post
HI ALL,
Long have I been lurking on this forum but never posted. I did not have a Sailboat and felt somewhat of a sweet water sailor for that. But after 2 years of search for a boat that would fit my wallet and my skills and requirements I ended up buying a Colvic Countess 33 on eBay in the UK. In my defence it was before coffee and my machine needs an upgrade as it is OBVIOUSLY too slow. (and I never win any auctions on eBay…)
I bought it because I realised that it had never been finished or splashed as it was not even drilled for the prop shaft.
My interest lies with the Hull. She’s going to be named SV Oddity and she’s not gonna win any races but she’s a comfortable true-blue water cruiser and for her size feels like a 36 /38.
As she’s a very rare model from Colvic craft I’m trying to find as much info on her as possible as I only have a bill of sale.
I’m already gutting her and doing a total refit. She was never finished and left forgotten, so she’s technically unfinished from the 80’s
Looking for any comparable models with the raised saloon and pics more then anything.
Also looking for some info’s on how to make a water maker “homebrew” style. I do come with some skills and experience fabricating marine parts for some of the best Yacht and Power Boats brands in Europe.
Still trying to get to grips with the forum but I do have a video on youtube that I made for the wife that shows her in all her glory and bad cinematics 😊 SV Oddity on YouTube.
Thanks in advance for all the kind help and advice I know you guys will provide.
Congratulations!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 17:23   #4

Thanks for posting the pics. I see I came ill prepared. Ill upload some photos tomorrow so I can link them here.
Oddity is the rarer model of the raised saloon and fin keel. Ill try to see if I can post the YouTube link without messing it up.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd4...ZhsAa5xcF9CJpA

just don't expect a fancy chanel its just a New sailboat that is 30 years old or more and needing a bit of elbow grease.
Old 30-03-2018, 19:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pics. I see I came ill prepared. Ill upload some photos tomorrow so I can link them here.
Oddity is the rarer model of the raised saloon and fin keel. Ill try to see if I can post the YouTube link without messing it up.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd4...ZhsAa5xcF9CJpA

just don't expect a fancy chanel its just a New sailboat that is 30 years old or more and needing a bit of elbow grease.
What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, with good humor, and a bit if a chuckle.

I watched two of your videos. The Pancakes looked good. Then I went for the tour of your boat. I was surprised.

I literally gasped at 2:24 in the video!
Shocked. I thought "Whoa!"

That is quite a project!

I can see you both have a good sense of humor, something that will be essential for the work ahead of you. It will be interesting to see the finished boat.

Good luck (sincerely)!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 20:35   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yikes! Well, a bit of varnish and a little cleaning and she'll be ready to go!
Still, there is something fun about looking at a project and thinking how beautiful it will be. You can make it JUST the way you want, not the way they thought it would look good at the boat show. There are a few slideshows on the Plastic Classics social group of an old Pearson Rhodes 41 that was gutted and completely refitted. You may find some good tips and clues in there too! Best of luck and welcome aboard! And don't worry, none of us win any races either in spite of what we may brag about at the yacht club. Congratulations!

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - refits of note
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 02:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Oddity.

COUNTESS 33 (COLVIC) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 06:24   #8

Thanks guys, we do have a sense of humour, and we did spend 2 years looking at so many boats that I think some brokers will break down in tears at the mere mention of our names. We looked at everything from 55 feet to 30 but every boat we saw failed at conquering my heart and passion. Then I saw this poor abandoned hull and I just knew she had to be splashed.

Im going down to her now to try and find a HIN number. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 31-03-2018, 09:36   #9

Boat: Colvic 34 - 40' Ketch

Quote:
HI ALL,
Welcome to CF, I joined a while ago and found it an amazing source for information and opinions, even if you dont appreciate them they all add to the forum experience.

You did the right thing looking for a boat that ,"Talked to you". I bought a Colvic Victor in the UK over 18 years ago under similar circumstances. Its now been afloat for about 12 years and completed several cross channel visits.

Colvics were moulded in Earls Colne and a lot were designed by a Mr Bennet of Colchester. The are extremely well built. I stripped mine back and rebuilt it. I am still doing upgrades. Where are you based in the UK?
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 10:29   #10

Boat: Baltic 35

Ian Anderson was the designer of countess range and he had a studio in Dartmouth UK ... South Ford ... Would be worthwhile to try and contact him
Saltymoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 11:48   #11

Wow, very nice! Well I think that you did great, now I don't know how much you paid for it but as far as old projects go I don't think you could ask for a better platform to start with. The thing about buying an older project boat is that you want something with a good strong un damaged backbone and I imagine that's exactly what you've found here. I mean the hull should be in great shape, shouldn't be any moisture /water problems, no osmosis. Hopefully it was closed up pretty good and there isn't any mold issues in the cabin either. Of course there's motor issues and a mast/rigging and sails. Don't know if any of those came with her. But I think you did good, but I tend to fall in love with the projects and not to be too interested in the finished item. So I just subscribed to your you-tube channel so please post some videos of the refitt, would love to watch the progress. I'm gonna go and check out your video and see what you've got on your hands on.
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 13:22   #12

We're at Thornham Marina in Emsworth, Chichester. Its cheap and got good conditions and can do all the work I need without problem.

Yeah this boat just spoke to me. Its gentle in the water, perfect for the wife and partner they both lack my miles on the water.

I will try and post the next video showying the boat as is and the problems it has and what we plan. Forgive the cinematics.. hehe not a great camera man Im afraid... But one hell of a Engineer and Fabricater lets see what I can do with her. I got "Plans" hehe

Thank you all for the support and kind words.
Old 31-03-2018, 19:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here is a better link to pictures and a good description on the Countess 33 in the archives of Yachtsnet:

Countess 33 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Congratulations
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
Wow, very nice! Well I think that you did great, now I don't know how much you paid for it but as far as old projects go I don't think you could ask for a better platform to start with. The thing about buying an older project boat is that you want something with a good strong un damaged backbone and I imagine that's exactly what you've found here. I mean the hull should be in great shape, shouldn't be any moisture /water problems, no osmosis. Hopefully it was closed up pretty good and there isn't any mold issues in the cabin either. Of course there's motor issues and a mast/rigging and sails. Don't know if any of those came with her. But I think you did good, but I tend to fall in love with the projects and not to be too interested in the finished item. So I just subscribed to your you-tube channel so please post some videos of the refitt, would love to watch the progress. I'm gonna go and check out your video and see what you've got on your hands on.
hehe that caught us a bit by surprise. Were going to try and post some videos of the refit. Weve got one comming up of our new dingy mud Odyssey the NEW 8HP outboard died on us. As soon as we actually finish cleaning up all the mud and and washing every thing and car I will try and finish it. It kind of got in the way of the survey we were going to have done... but hey. Sailing life, never a dull moment.

We chose this one because al the other we saw had extensive refits that involved everything you mentioned. At that stage we started thinking it would actually be easier, faster and cheaper to just do the all thing if we found a hull, next morning this one was on eBay and there we are. No engine to pull out, no wires to redo, no old water or fuel tanks to repair etc etc . Everything will be new.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29   #15

I realized I spoke a little to soon about the there being no water damage, after I watched your you tube video, but I still think you will be alright. It looks like someone had put a lot of time into this vessel at one point and was pretty close to getting it finished but then just walked away and left it to the elements. But it looks as if they seem to have a decent knowledge of building the boat, it seems like the layout is decent and they were doing things with some knowledge and skill behind it. Un till the water got to it, that is.
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote