Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should I Fix This Boat?
That will make a GREAT First Boat with a little effort! 11 91.67%
It's Not Bad and You Might Enjoy it if you like working on boats 0 0%
You are Going to Work Your Tail off and see Little Cruising Time 0 0%
It's a money pit! Dump it on someone else and RUN!! 1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 14:22   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by James427 View Post
Thanks guys for the encouragement! So far only one person voted in my pole that I should dump the boat and run. I've been learning so much about the boat in general. I'm very much looking forward to getting to work on her. I signed up for the 25bertram board a few days ago but still have not heard back about being accepted and still can't post over there. Is it an active board or dead in the water so to speak. (punn intended)

I might make it two but dump it here at my house. I'll even give you your $2.5k back. YOu got a good deal. I you are going to put new tanks in I can find you the name of a company that I am using for a day tank at a very reasonable cost.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 15:02   #17

I was just offered $1,500 for the 12 fishing poles and full tackle box! That means I would be in the boat for a grand! But I'm going to keep them because I'm really hoping that I will be able to do a little fishing once I get it seaworthy. But it's nice to know I must have gotten a good deal on everything!
James427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 15:02   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Those Bertram 25's are darn good hulls. It will take some TLC to get it in nice shape, but your working from an excellent foundation. They are pretty popular on the SF Bay because they handle the chop quite well. They also have nice classic lines that keeps them from looking dated.

Look at what they are selling for in YachtWorld...much more than you paid.

You got a steal.

bertram Boats For Sale

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 15:30   #19
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I voted favorably, great boat.
Old 07-08-2008, 15:42   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Thanks guys for the encouragement!
You are welcome. Now get that bad boy in the water, fire up the engines and make sure you give us a report.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 16:17   #21

It's going to take a little while to get to "spalsh". Both the boat and I are currently in Tennessee. We'll be moving to Florida within 60 days. I will be pulling it to Florida behind my F-250 Powerstoke.

In the mean time, I will be going over to where it is stored (in the pics) and be cleaning it and basically putting it together and taking stock of it. I have already found some damage in the engine compartment that does not look good for the engines. The rear exhaust elbows just off of the manifolds have cracks in them and there is one pristine freeze plug sitting under one of the engines that has obviously been dislodged. I can not see any cracks in any of the blocks or heads but that doesn't really mean anything.

Which brings me to my first question. Good running 318 Chrysler engines are a dime a dozen here in cars. I can pick up a perfectly good running 318 for about $300 or less. I know that one engine is a reverese rotation, but the other would not be. Can I just replace the block and perhaps the heads with a clean car engine? What are the differences between a 318 car engine and marine engine? If I find two good running 318's can I not just transfer the reverse rotation internals into the car block doing a quick overhaul while I'm in there?

Second question...

I've never had a V-drive before, but from everything I've read they are preffereable to outdrives if they are going to sit in water, which this boat may have to do. The boat has been on this trailer for a number of years. Are the prop shaft seals sensitive and prone to leaking? Will I have to change all of them before I put it in the water or are they pretty robust?

Third question....

The deck, cabin and side surfaces of the boat are all excellent and will only require a good scrubbing to look like new. The bottom has a good surface on it, but it looks stained and streaked. Refinishing the bottom is something I would like to do from a cosmetic and maintenance stand point. I have a ton of automotive painting experience, but none on a boat. What should I use?

Fourth question. Are my fiberglass tanks going to be a major issue?

James427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 16:42   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A boat yard owner once said to me, owning an I/O is like owning an extra engine in terms of costs.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 16:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I I you are going to put new tanks in I can find you the name of a company that I am using for a day tank at a very reasonable cost.
I'll be replacing water and diesel tanks on a sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale. If you know someone who might be able to help with that, please let me know, thanks.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:21   #24
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Good deal?

Good deal? I'd say! If someone offered you $1500 for fishing equipment, the trailer is worth the balance. You got the boat for free. And Bertram is a Cadillac. I'd say you got a steal. You could put $10-20k in it and still be looking good. (And get prepared, it might take that much...)

Since it's been sitting, you want to replace ALL rubber. All the seals, etc. Shaft seals are a boat sinker. That also probably includes the trailer tires. You think changing a tire on that big truck of yours is a pain?
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote