Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 12:13   #1

Bowsprint

I would like to add a bowsprint to my 30ft sloop to aid in anchoring and storage of anchors. I would like to keep 2 delta
anchors (22lb) on the bowsprint. Does anybody have any suggestions that will help me? Are there any kits available for the rollers etc. I have 2' Black locust wood to build it with.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 13:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You may not need a bowsprit, if you can fit a pair of good Bow Rollers, such as these
Anchor Rollers for Plow (Delta) Anchors:
http://www.windline.com/rolleroverbow.html -&- http://www.windline.com/guide.html
Google "Anchor Roller" - there's lot of good sources.
BTW: Fabricating & after-fitting an attractive, strong,and functional bowsprit isn’t easy.
Vasco posted a couple of excellent photo’s that might be illustrative:
Goto: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...umb=1&si=Vasco
and check out:
http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...t=7&thecat=998
http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...t=7&thecat=998
HTH,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 19:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
Locust is very rot resistent but not the best wood for a bowsprit. It sounds like you are actually building an anchor platform. Unless you are adding a rigid strut type bobstay, 2 feet is a bit short since the general rule of thumb is to have twice as much inboard as you have outboard. You will also need to beef up the deck and add a knee below the deck to take the upward forces as the outboard end of the platform tries to pull downward with considerable force.

BTW, For what is is worth, there is no 'n' in Bowsprit. ;^)

Good luck
Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 19:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You also need to be mindfull of the weight of two anchors sitting on the bow, especially for 30ft, in a ruff sea. It will drop the nose in a trough, something wicked.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 13:36   #5

anchor platform

Jeff-- thank you for the info--you are correct anchor platform would be the correct discription. please excuse my lack of experience. Considering the info I received if I build a platform I will scale back to 1 anchor. Locust itself is heavy even at 13% moisture. I may try a bow roller as Gord suggested, however I am concerned with the clutter,since I will be using hank on sails, the fewer things near the headstay the better. If there is something I am not considering,let me know. There is provision to store the anchor rode below deck, but not the anchor. My last sail boat had a locker at the bow that was large enough for an anchor. I do not have provision
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 17:41   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We were very happy with a bowroller, snubber and chain locker. We also had fittings on deck that allowed us to lay the anchor back and lash it down. Like you we had hanked on head sails, we experienced no interferrence of any kind with the arrangement.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 23:00   #7

I built a anchor holder on my catalina 30, I made it out of stainless tubing with a stainless sheet metal deck. It holds two 33 # plow anchors. It overhangs the bow 18", The tubing is bolted through the hull 12" back on either side of the hull and one knee brace that connects right in the middel of the bow 18" or so down. On top are two rollers like the ones gord posted. behind them are 2 chain locks and then to a manual windless. I have yet to have any problems digging into the waves with the extra wieght. And it gets the bow tidy.
Cheers
D
I should say its 1" tubing and 1/4" plate on top