Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2020, 13:13   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Re: Brackets for glass splashguard in galley

I can only be a partial help: I also want to put a splash shield along the edge of the counter that butts into the bench seat. Lexan not glass - even tempered.

This is the part where I become unhelpful because I can't remember the source, but I found (by google) clam shell brackets that clasped the lexan shield from the bottom, secured with a set screw, that would seem to be perfect for this application. They screwed into the top of the counter and therefore were not dependent on the fiddle for attachment. I think I got the inspiration from a Jeanneau. Have not started the project and any pictures I took from where ever I took them are on the boat, under the cover, on the hard, miles away.
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 15:09   #17

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonase View Post
I have seen splash guards on several newer yachts. The splash guards are for protecting the sofas next to the galley sink. As one of many projects, this winter adding a splashguard is one of them. The challenge is to find the right bracket.

Several brands use the same type of brackets for fastening the splash guards. But I have not found anyone that actually sells these brackets.

Does anyone know who produces these brackets or knows where they can be bought other than as spare parts from the yacht builders?

I'm attaching links to pictures of the brackets as well as pictures of the bracket mounted on both Jeanneau and X-Yachts.

If you can't find this exact part, I would suggest looking at some of those brackets that hold the floating glass in showers. This would probably require a 1/2" thick piece of plate glass (tempered would be far too fragile in this location - too many exposed edges).
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:04   #18

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
We avoid using Glass on our vessel, so when we added a splash guard we used Lexan. I cut it to size and screwed it to the teak 'back splash' with some washers. The washers help prevent the water from wicking up behind the Lexan.
This solution provides the protection you want for the cushions and is a LOT simpler than getting brackets that have to be attached to both the countertop and to the clear protective sheet you use. As OS2Dude suggests, glass is NOT a good idea here. Bolting a piece of lexan to the wood fiddle that is already there will be easier than trying to affix brackets in under the sink, where they will cause leaks and rot in the countertop and where keeping them tight will be a constant chore.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:23   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassdog View Post
If the fiddle behind the sink is thick enough, you could simply route a groove into the top of the fiddle, into which you could install a piece of tempered glass or Lexan held in with a bead of some sort of clear sealer. That way no unsightly brackets to clean aroundAnd the install is very clean looking. I did this on my boat and it came out beautifully. I installed a piece of 1/4 inch tempered glass that was etched with a lovely design.Cheers
It'll be lovely until somebody knicks the edge of your tempered glass, then it'll be marbles. Anything with an exposed edge should not made out of tempered glass - Lexan is much safer for boat purposes.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 18:45   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Actually, I would use an acrylic here (Perspex) because it is more scratch- and UV resistant and you don’t need the level of impact resistance of polycarbonate here. Cheaper as well.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 19:01   #21

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Search for invisible supports for glass shelves. Many more elegant solutions out there that will work vertically and are designed to minimise nooks and crannies in wet environments
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 08:00   #22

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
what about these?

CRL Slot Mount Standoffs
The bracket you're looking for is a kludge. IF you must have glass, look to glass product manufacturers. C.R. Laurence has hundreds of mounting products for glass shelves, partitions, etc.

er9 is on the right track, but personally I wouldn't want a standoff, you're just reducing your usable galley counter space. Consider trying glass clamps:

With the short height of your splash guard, a pair of clamps on the bottom edge should be more than enough. I've seen them used in restaurant installations. Check out their myriad choices in their catalog:
http://www.crlaurence.com/adv/catalo...ex.html?pn=199
Or call them and tell them what you want to do, they can advise on how to do it.

Better yet, call a local Glazier and have them do it!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley