Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51   #1

Brand New Cetol Discoloration !

So we've been (v-e-r-y slowly) removing the old varnish from the small amount of brightwork on our Valiant 40, and re-'varnishing' it with cetol. We live on the central coast of BC, where it rains 13 feet per year, so finding dry days to get this done is not a small challenge.

I recently got 4 coats on the combings in the cockpit, but not one every 24 hours like the can recommends-- instead I got 2 done in one day (it was particularly dry and warm, so it was not even tacky after a few hours), then another the next day, and the 4th about a week later.

Water pools on this area when it rains (which it does....alot), and I'm noticing a discoloration-almost a white color- where water sits on the new cetol. WHY?! After the first time I noticed it, once it completely dried, I did not see the spots, but they have returned with more rain.

This makes me apprehensive to keep cetol-ing, if the water is damaging it, or if we will always have spots (because- have I mentioned?- it rains alot)

help?
bec.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11   #2

Re: brand new cetol discoloration!

I remember that from when I tried cetol... if I remember right it goes away... maybe someone with more recent experience will chime in.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15   #3

Boat: Heritage East 40
Funny timing! I am redoing my bright work and JUST put on my 3rd coat and it started to pour!!! So I doubt it will take and I hope it didn't ruin my first two costs!! It's still tacky and now pouring rain!!!! It is beading up where the water hit it.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20   #4

That happened to me as well, on another part of the boat. When the rain (finally) stopped again, the teak was rough and spotty where it had been tacky when the rain started. I was able to sand it lightly and add another coat (where most places I shoot for 4, I did 5 there because I sanded some off) It seemed to work just fine, and doesn't look different than the rest of the boat. Definitely frustrating though, having to undo work you've just done!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24   #5

Moisture is either in or under the Cetol. Hopefully it'll dry out clear..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43   #6

Agree with the above. Sounds like moisture. We used Cetol Natural followed up with Clear and it still looks great a couple of seasons later. Allowed it to fully dry in between applications, but no more than 48 hours for any coat. We didn't have to deal with rain though.

If you haven't put the clear on yet, try lightly sanding and reapplying.

Brightwork pictures by berner73 - Photobucket
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58   #7

Do you find the clear coat necessary? We haven't added the clear coat to any part yet. Does it act as a seal, or just a shiny coat?

Unfortunately, the whole wait until it dries but no more than 48 hours thing is just not an option. We almost never go more than 2-3 days without rain...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and folks wonder why i clean my teak with sea water then oil it. no muss no fuss no bother and only 6 hours max per year..LOL..... good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42   #9

The Clear does add a bit of shine, but according to Sikkens, it also includes additional UV protection and provides a smoother surface for cleaning in addition to being a harder, protective coat. Future maintenance should just involve a light sanding to rough up the surface and then adding a clear coat or two. I wouldn't worry about the days in between, we just wiped the surfaces down with a microfiber towel to make sure the surface was free of debris in between coats.
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 07:46   #10

Boat: Heritage East 40
Just finished my rails yesterday with 4 coats of marine and 2 coats of gloss. Used a 3m 220 between coats scuffer on the coats of gloss. Looks good.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote