Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 14:07   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Brass brightwork

Anyone have any secrets to keeping the interior brass looking shiny?

We have a product here called brasso, which is used to polish the brass, but damn it goes back to dirty brown pretty quickly.

Is there a secret to keeping the shine for a bit longer, because at this rate I can't keep up.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 14:11   #2

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: Brass brightwork

Coat with lacquer???
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 14:16   #3

The only thing I know of is to use Lacquer or another finish like acrylic. I kinda like the brown though myself. Not that shiny brass isn't nice!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

My oil lamps came with a lacquer finish which stayed bright for some time, then wore off in patches. I'd rather they have had no coating and gone evenly brown. I like the look, and like it better when a heavily used spot (like on an interior stanchion) gets a bit of a dull shine from the wear.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:47   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Worked polishing brass one summer on a 1929 Elco. Everything was brass, everywhere. Flag sockets, cleats, bitts, chocks, doorknobs, hinges, step treads, port frames, hatch frames, steering wheel, engine controls, light switchplates... Started at 08h00 and went until noon. By noon, the pieces I’d started with were beginning to tarnish again. Can’t remember if I used Brasso or Noxon. I think the following season the owner had it lacquered.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Anyone have any secrets to keeping the interior brass looking shiny?

We have a product here called brasso, which is used to polish the brass, but damn it goes back to dirty brown pretty quickly.

Is there a secret to keeping the shine for a bit longer, because at this rate I can't keep up.
I forgot to mention, I've heard of using good car way... immediately after polishing... haven't done it my self though

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 20:56   #7

Boat: PDQ 41

On MARIETTE, Tom Perkins has the brass plated in rose gold, which does look very good. Failing that, I would keep a few things polished with Brasso, and allow the rest to go brown. Lacquer Looks fake when new, and has to be renewed every few years.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work