Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 06:14   #451
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

No updates on this?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 12:07   #452

Boat: Tayana 37

Did he just give up?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 13:11   #453

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Did he just give up?

Go back and look at post 449. Apparently she is list, check the link.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 15:58   #454

Back in Singapore taking a break. Will head back to Australia and sail North late May.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 12:43   #455

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Go back and look at post 449. Apparently she is list, check the link.
That's why I was asking. But I see Homeless has since responded and is just taking a break before sailing her home.

Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 13:18   #456

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
That's why I was asking. But I see Homeless has since responded and is just taking a break before sailing her home.

Until he posted, I though he may have just gone home. He hasn't had much family time.

I guess he listing her just to see if she can be sold now. Since that was his original intention, why not put her on the block.

She does "look" good.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 22:56   #457

Sea trial ... heading North.

I filled the water and diesel tanks yesterday, left Southport, and sailed up the outside of the Stradbroke islands solo under autopilot. Rigging, ropes, sails performed as they should. Wind was from NNW which is unfortunately the direction I wanted to go, so the sails were close hauled and the boat was heeling a lot. This uncovered the fact that some of the side windows are not sealed for submarine use, and the starboard fuel tank has a leak in the top. The boat and everything in it smells like diesel again, and the bilges are full of water again.

At 4pm a hose clamp on one of the hydraulic hoses used by the autopilot and internal steering came loose and dumped the hydraulic fluid into the bilge. I was stuck outside Moreton island in relatively big seas with the sun going down, no wish to navigate the South Passage bar in the dark, and no autopilot or internal steering. I dropped the sails and started the engine and sat outside in the cold getting showered in spray, shivering, trying to stay awake, and feeling sorry for myself all night hand steering to Mooloolaba.

In the morning I noticed that the batteries were not being charged by the alternator, and were almost flat from the bilge pumps, fuel pump, engine starter, nav lights, autopilot, and instruments. I was worried I would not be able to start the engine again if I stopped it, so had to keep it idling for about 5 hours while I drifted offshore until the Marina office opened up and I could confirm they had a vacancy. After I was safely in the marina berth I tried starting the engine, and there was not enough left in the batteries to turn it over, so it was the right choice to keep it running as I could not have come into Mooloolaba marina under sail.

I have now put a new hose clamp on the autopilot hose, bled the system, and it should work until the next time it comes apart. I do plan to replace the hose clamps with crimped connectors that can handle the pressure, but the list is long ...

I believe the alternator did not charge the batteries because an unlabelled and seemingly useless switch was off. I will test this theory tomorrow. Another item on my long to do list is to undo the spagetti wiring that connects the multiple battery banks and chargers into one big conglomerate.

I won't be able to reseal the windows here, so will have to deal with some leaks when the boat heels until I get to a longer term marina. I suspect the fuel tank leak is associated with a vent tube, but it is down under about 5 layers of plywood and foam under cupboards and battery banks and hundreds of cables so I am now searching for a midget monkey who is expert in using a small chainsaw to confirm my suspicion. It is likely this problem will also persist until I reach a more permanent destination.
Old 31-05-2015, 23:59   #458

Bad luck mate. I guess that's they call it sea trails because it forces issues. Don't give up
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14   #459

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Homeless,

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there is a Whitworth's in the Moolooloba area. You can access via dinghy, sort of, by way of Lawry's Marina, then walking to the right (Westish). So sealant is available, from them, if they don't have the right stuff at the hardware store.

So sorry it is being difficult now after so much hard work.

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 02:17   #460
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

definition of B.O.A.T........bring out another thousand..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:16   #461
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks for the update homeless. Hopefully the issues will be inversely proportionate to the fun factor as you progress.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:34   #462

Definitely not having fun, but jumping in at the deep end is the fastest way to learn, and I did expect to find additional problems when the boat was stressed. Crew would have made this much easier. I have sealant, but really need to take the time to completely remove the windows, clean up the surface, and re-bed them.

Now need to decide if I will cross the Wide Bay bar or go outside Fraser island.
Old 01-06-2015, 13:41   #463

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Homeless,

If you go outside Fraser Is., be aware there's often a strong inshore set off Breaksea spit, or so I have been warned. We've always been so far offshore (5-10 n.mi.) that we haven't actually experienced it, only been warned by Australians with more experience than ourselves.

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 16:17   #464

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You'll need to be very careful about the tides through the centre section if you go inside with your draft. It gets very narrow and shallow.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:19   #465

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Now need to decide if I will cross the Wide Bay bar or go outside Fraser island.
As Ann noted, the tidal currents around Breaksea Spit can be quite strong, so you need to take care not to be dragged onto the spit particularly in an incoming tide. Conversely, you should try to time your crossing to go around the top for an incoming tide rather than going against the ebb strream. The south setting East Australian Current may also be a little stronger than elsewhere.

Tags
rule