Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 12:51   #541

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Let's not pop the champaign quite yet, assuming the offer is subject to survey and buyer inspection. Hopefully all goes well over the next few days though.
Monte, you have that right. I hope it works out for him.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:02   #542
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40

Good luck with the sale Homeless, will look forward to seeing the boat down south. Don't forget that the day you sell the boat is one of the two best days of boat ownership!
Old 12-07-2015, 03:07   #543

The potential buyers were on the boat today and we discussed the work done and the problems remaining. They plan to live aboard, fix the boat, and sail in Tasmanian waters, then probably sail back to the US where I suspect the boat would probably sell for a higher price than Australia. Was perfect weather when they were on the boat and that helps, but I think cold drinks in the fridge would have helped !

Surveyor is supposed to come on the boat 8am tomorrow which should include a sea trial. The local yards have been closed over the weekend, so hopefully can arrange a lift tomorrow to inspect hull while in the slings.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:00   #544

Boat: Tayana 37

Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 02:44   #545

Did the sea trial with the surveyor yesterday and I thought everything went reasonably well, and the haulout is booked for tomorrow, but today the broker calls me, and before they have even received the survey it seems the buyers are making up lots of imaginary problems with the boat to justify dropping their offer by $35,000.

The broker tried to scare me into dropping my asking price by suggesting the current issues in Greece and China would cause another world economic crash and I should sell while I still can, but the water tanks are full, the groceries are packed, and I have a slot booked at the fuel dock for 3pm tomorrow, so North ...

Unfortunately the crew that I had lined up seems to be outside mobile phone coverage, so I guess they are up in the jungle or out on a dive boat, so likely I will be sailing solo to Darwin.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 03:28   #546

Boat: Westerly Sealord

You either want to sell it or you don't..... if you do want to sell it then sell it.

Mine 21 years ago... I made an offer 25% below the ask and the sellers went a bit cute... speaking to the broker a year later he said he told them... 'this is a genuine offer... not only is it a genuine offer its the only offer you have had in 8 months... you want to sell it?' They sold it...

For them to sail it from Oz to the US and turn a profit? In their dreams....
Old 14-07-2015, 09:02   #547
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Greece and China are certainly issues for some folks. But for that matter I understand the Australian dollar has declined against the US$ over the last year as well. And now the volatile US stock market is back up, despite Greece. So...bottom line, if the boat is worth twice what you are asking for it, someone will snatch it up.

What I would see as more of a problem is that there is a very small niche market for aluminum 60+ foot boats in the "needs work" category. If it is a "high latitude" boat, certainly less of a market in other locations.

But if you need to go back to your primary job, either you dump the boat, or you go back to the primary job and simply pay storage on the boat while it is in brokerage. It sounds like that wouldn't be an unaffordable way to go.

What are the list of $35,000 grievances? Cosmetic, or structural/functional?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:41   #548

Boat: Tayana 37

To me, it sounds like a scare/bluff tactic from the buyer and a broker who is afraid of losing his commission. I for one think you were totally correct in telling them to go pound sand. Good luck sailing her home!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:16   #549

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

There is a potentially expensive downside during resale negotiations for having posted all the gory details of the refit.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:22   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
There is a potentially expensive downside during resale negotiations for having posted all the gory details of the refit.
I think you are right. Homeless' best bet is a potential buyer never sees the thread.
Old 14-07-2015, 10:42   #551

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Actually his best bet is total disclosure of the boat's history of sinking, neglect and electrolysis problems, and the precise extent of the work that has been done so far to address those issues.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 11:25   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Actually his best bet is total disclosure of the boat's history of sinking, neglect and electrolysis problems, and the precise extent of the work that has been done so far to address those issues.
I believe this may be her?
General

Price $175,000*AUD Sail Away No More To Pay
Model 47 PILOTHOUSE CUTTER Metres 14.33 Hull Mono Rego YES Stock Number ESC 042 Make KANTER Hull Year 1987 Feet 47 Power Sail Reference Code OAG-AD-1468204 Last Modified Date 1/07/2015
Engine 1

Propeller 1 Hours 800 Fuel Capacity 1,000 Horse Power 86 Engine Number 4.236 Drive Type Inboard/Shaftdrive Engine Make Perkins Fuel Type Diesel
Equipment Safety

Anchor Winch 3 (30kg Bruce, 30kg Delta, Danforth), Ideal winch Bilge Pump 2 x electric w/ float switches, 1 x electric w/ manual switch, 2 x manual Covers Bimini (new), dodger, winch covers Deck Gear 80m chain, davits, cockpit shower/deck wash Electrics 12v lighting, shore power, inverter, 8 x 12v batteries, Airex wind gen Epirb 3 Life Jackets 4 x adult Navigation Raymarine GPS, Raymarine & Northstar plotter, Navman sounder, Raymarine auto pilot, Navman wind Radios Communication Cobra + Icom
Galley

Appliances Galley to port. On left are two sinks with electric and foot pumps with cupboard below and above. New gimballed Eno 2-burner stove/oven against hull with ice boxes on left and right. On right of galley is benchtop and Waeco fridge/freezer next to drawers Freezer Waeco Fridge Waeco Stove Eno 2-burner oven (new)
General

Deck Material Aluminium plus teak Vessel Location Gold Coast, Australia Vessel Name China Dolphin
Interior

Accomodation Configuration After master cabin with double bed, wardrobe, drawers, and storage under bed and under bench seat. Forward V berth double with wardrobe and storage under bed. Pilot berth in pilothouse, and large couches in saloon that could sleep two. Number Of Berths 7 Shower 1 Toilet Jabsco electric
Sail Information

Mast Rigging Stainless steel - New rigging Sail Information Main, genoa (new), staysail, spinnaker, furler, lazy jacks
Specifications

Beam Width 14 Feet Draft 7 Feet Dry Weight 18000 Kilograms Hull Material Aluminium Water Capacity 1000 Specifications have been sourced from redbook.com.au and are based on manufacturer standard specifications. Actual specifications for this vehicle may differ, please confirm with the seller.
Description

This aluminium Kanter 47 pilothouse cutter designed by Ted Brewer is very strongly built and ready to sell!!! It presents very well with a beautiful spacious wood interior, large tankage, and storage for extended cruising. Kanter have a good reputation for building aluminium yachts to a high standard, and many have completed circumnavigations including high latitudes. The mast and 2015 standing rigging are oversized, there are 3 reefs in the mainsail, and the cutter rig is safely handled by one person. The reliable 4 cylinder Perkins will run forever and is easily maintained in remote locations.

Recent work completed November 2014 – March 2015
New stainless steel standing rigging and reinforced mast step and mast base (by Everything Marine in Coomera). New mast-head VHF antenna, mast-head LED bulbs.
Old 14-07-2015, 16:33   #553
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think you are right. Homeless' best bet is a potential buyer never sees the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Interesting dilemma; two sides of the same coin I guess.

It really depends on the mindset of the buyer; me, I would run, not walk from this boat but I suspect there are others would be very happy to buy it.

This is not a criticism of the way the OP has brought it back to life, rather that it is not the way I would do it. My way clearly would not be right for the OP and vice versa.

Although at the end of the day, the buyer should have access to any previous knowledge of the boat; what remains is whose responsibility is it to provide the knowledge - vendor or purchaser?

The old way was buyer beware but it appears that is on the wane in some parts of the world.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 17:19   #554

Boat: Westerly Sealord

'alloy' plus 'pinholes' would do it for me... the running thing that is...
Old 14-07-2015, 17:35   #555

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Around 1992 or so we were in Gulf Harbour in NZ. There was a very pretty ~65 foot alloy yacht there that complained of water ingress issues. Hauled the boat and discovered that apparently the wrong alloy filler rod had been used in the hull plate welding, and ALL the welds were compromised. Pinhole type leaks developing everywhere...

To our horror, the owners response was to bog up all the seams, repaint and put her on the market. The ads did not mention this problem. We soon left the country and I have no idea how it played out.

Many countries now have laws that would make non-disclosure of this sort of info a crime... as it should be IMO. To hide a known flaw is not just a moral issue in these cases, but one that could have severe repercussions to the seller. I doubt if Homeless would be involved in such a deal.

Jim

Tags
rule