Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 09:03   #571

Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I suppose anything is possible. But how is an amateur able to judge his own work against that of a (supposed) expert? And how were you able to tell if all these subcontractors were experts?
The trouble is, most "experts" own the company and don't do the work, they hire some former burger flipper and hope it all comes out well. maybe not 100% of the time but a lot of the time. Been there done that. The reall good guys out there are few and far between.
Anyway Homeless has learned a good lesson ....... as many of us did along the way, so who are we to judge?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:35   #572

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
so who are we to judge?
The boat is up for sale and someone is going to pay good money for it. People have the right to question the repairs.
Having to take the engine apart again and maybe do it right, might be a good indicator of the whole project.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:37   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The boat is up for sale and someone is going to pay good money for it. People have the right to question the repairs.
Having to take the engine apart again and maybe do it right, might be a good indicator of the whole project.
Of course they do.... and this applies to most the boats out there...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 23:01   #574

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I second that sentiment, you are resourceful and lots of energy.
Of course you have Mobile broadband from Thursday Island (Ti), we don't expect anything after Ti, till Darwin.
At TI you could try talking to a resourceful fisherman, for your engine advise.
As a Marine Engineer myself can you comment on fuel consumption, is it above normal?. (Sorry maybe you said but I can't remember).

There is another CF follower in Darwin (RaymondR) he is also resourceful but would certainly point you in right direction.

Of course you know about the exceptional currents in that area, but I'd recommend going via the Wessels above Arnham land, but WATCH the currents.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:39   #575

Now coming down the North Channel into Darwin in a 3 knot ebb current and expect to drop the anchor at midnight for the first time since Horn Island, and hopefully lock into a marina at high tide tomorrow. Looking forward to a good night's sleep. The currents have been wild, especially around Thursday Island, Cape Wessel, and the channels into Darwin, but I got lucky with the timing and never had to fight them, which would have been impossible under sail.

Have not seen any mobile phone signal since Thursday Island, but skipped Gove where I expect phones work. Had 3 days of 15-20 knots forecast to cross the Gulf, but what I got was an average of 5 knots, and the flaky winds got worse the further West I went, generally giving a nice burst of SE trades at night but dying completely during the heat of the day leaving a nice swell that forces you to drop the main to avoid breakages. I do miss those nice reliable trade winds up the Queensland coast. Unfortunately the unreliable winds spoiled my plans to stop at some nice spots as I arrived after sunset and decided it was safer to keep going than try to anchor in the dark in a 3 knot current when the chart mentions uncharted reefs in the area ...

Coast Watch planes found me the first 4 days but I looked forward to them as the only evidence that I was not the last human on earth. Their VHF signal is very strong, so good to get an idea of who else is out sailing within a hundred miles or so. I heard them call another 3 or 4 boats each day when I was crossing the Gulf, but I didn't hear them speak to anyone else and did not see any boats between Gove and Darwin. Today USA carrier 6 keeps broadcasting their Securite messages to keep away from their amphibious training exercises near Darwin.

I nearly got run over by some Indonesian poachers when crossing the Gulf when I tried passing them at 2am red-to-red, only to find that the red lights were on their bow and not on port side. A good intro to night sailing in Asia.

Also had a panic attack in the middle of the gulf when I noticed a red blinking light a few miles off on the bow and I wondered how I had missed that light and reef on my charts. Was trying to work out which way to divert to avoid the unknown hazard when the light suddenly took off at hight speed for the horizon, then about 10 minutes later came back. Turns out there was a helicopter doing practice landings on a blacked out ship.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 04:50   #576
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well done homeless, glad you're safe n sound.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:24   #577

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

I just read the guts of this thread and, like when the rich kids have their turn for show and tell, I want to put my hand up and say how cool all this is.

Yeah, I was that kid.

Bro, feels good, dunnit. No thanks to the haters and wasters, but then they're not on board when you get your pick down at the end of a long night milking every carrot your mum ever made you eat.

I don't mean to patronise, with all this childhood metaphors stuff. It's just how it comes out I guess.

Anywho, way to go.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 21:17   #578

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Homeless,
Your a bloody resourceful bloke, well done on what you have done.
what he said x 2!
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 21:33   #579

The boat is now in Tipperary Waters Marina in Darwin. With an 8 meter tidal range the marinas all have locks, which was a new and rather stressful experience when solo on a big and not very agile boat, but the lock master was excellent, and extremely helpful, so no new scratches or dents.

I am now back home for a few weeks and will stock up on engine parts then likely fly back to Darwin, do a minor rebuild on pistons and valves, then head North again. Would have been nice to island hop up the Indonesian islands, but it seems like too much hard work to deal with the visas and cruising permits, so best to just head offshore for a few weeks and hope for good wind. I also need to plan what work I will get done in Asia ($17 per day for labour at some yards) and stock up on consumables and tools before I leave Australia.
Old 28-07-2015, 21:51   #580

Boat: Seafarer36c

A "minor repair to pistons and valves" What do you consider a major repair? As a mechanic you are like a jokester.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 22:01   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
A "minor repair to pistons and valves" What do you consider a major repair? As a mechanic you are like a jokester.
A major rebuild would be pulling the whole engine out of the boat along with crank shaft, cylinder sleeves etc and re-boring / grinding cylinders, head, valves, crank shaft etc. At the moment I am hopeful that I just need to replace piston rings and valve springs, which I consider to be relatively minor unless it uncovers deeper issues.

Not sure why you are being so abusive, or why I am bothering to reply to your abuse. I will be adding you to my block list along with the other time wasters.
Old 29-07-2015, 02:54   #582
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
At the moment I am hopeful that I just need to replace piston rings and valve springs, which I consider to be relatively minor unless it uncovers deeper issues.
When replacing rings, a light honing of cylinder walls is recommended to remove glazing and help in getting a good seal/compression - at least that is what my friend (a professional mechanic) is telling me. Since you are stocking up on tools and materials, maybe consider adding a flex-hone to the list? Very easy to use in the field and gives very good results.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:15   #583

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I'm sure I speak for many, Homeless, when I say I look forward to reading more about your ongoing adventures, whether they be out singlehanding your boat or back at the dock with your head lodged inside the engine compartment! All the best with your continued efforts at "Breaking All The Rules . . . ."
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:41   #584

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Maybe a dumb question? Do you have clearance to remove the oil pan and journal caps.. I have never replaced rings without pulling the pistons.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 01:54   #585

This week I read the whole thread and I admire your tenacity. You took on quite a challenge!

Another challenge is to admit to yourself where to draw certain lines, and IMO you should consider this when deciding how to tackle your engine problems: You took your best shot at diagnostics, spent money and time, but the desired result didn't come forth.

The kind of work the engine needs requires, apart from a level of mechanical knowledge, a certain level of 'feel' to complete successfuly, and that doesn't come from an owner's or shop manual, but from experience.

The reliability of the engine is essential to your safety, not something to experiment with.

Maybe too late now, but the time you're away from the vessel would have been a great opportunity to have this work done, and I think you should still consider this. You don't want to spend $$$ a third time, much less run a bearing at sea.

Keep at it, I'll be following this with much interest, as I may be embarking on a similar journey before too long.

Best,

Jack.
Jack Verschuur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule