Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 16:58   #631

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Breaking All the Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Well, 16 months of yachting may not have been your cup of tea.
More like 15 months of rebuilding and 1 month of "not very trouble free yachting".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:09   #632

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
More like 15 months of rebuilding and 1 month of "not very trouble free yachting".
Better ratio than I have managed so far.
Old 07-09-2015, 17:41   #633

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I wonder if it depends on the boat in question. When selling a dreadful old 16 footer many moons ago, I got a much higher sight-unseen to actual viewer offer ratio than when selling a very tidy little trailer sailor a few years later.
Small trailer boats are a different story. Lots of newbs who have no idea buying first boats. The only boat I ever made money on was a trailer sailor. I also knew a bloke once that had a reasonably profitable hobby picking up small trailer boats at bargain prices and selling them on. I've also found that when I need a used outboard or trailer that it's better to buy a boat-motor-trailer package at times and flip the unneeded bits. The last outboard I purchased worked out about half the price after doing this and I got to take the boat on a couple of fishing trips as well before selling it on!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:44   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sound like regular boat ownership to me just replace "rebuilding" with "fixing stuff" lol.
Old 07-09-2015, 17:48   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Small trailer boats are a different story. ...

The only boat I ever made money on was a trailer sailor.
Darn, I thought I had been clever in only losing a small amount of money.
Old 07-09-2015, 17:54   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Darn, I thought I had been clever in only losing a small amount of money.
It wasn't that much and elbow grease excluded lol
Old 07-09-2015, 17:57   #637

Quote:
It wasn't that much and elbow grease excluded lol
Don't shatter the illusion. You were giving me hope.
Old 07-09-2015, 19:35   #638

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Come on Homeless, reconsider and keep posting, if only now and then.

Just briefly touching on the issue of buyer offers - there is a HUGE difference between the following two situations:
A) I have to/want to sell my boat now
B) I am happy to keep my boat, but will sell if I get my minimum price.

It's nice to be in situation "B", since you have the luxury of being able to ignore low offers as often as you choose. Unlike cars, boat selling prices vary wildly, up and down.

On forums such as this, there are always replies that frustrate OPs because they represent the attitude "There is only one viewpoint on this, and it's my viewpoint". Also the "Unless it's made of pure gold it's not good enough" contributions. Just have to suffer those.

In fact, if you scan long threads (not just on CF) you often find a majority of replies of doubtful value to the original poster. Some posts look like keyboard addicts just pushing their views. But in amongst those are sometimes invaluable contributions from clever sailors that make it worthwhile.

Your posts are really very well written, often including a lot of pertinent detail in a few sentences, and you know how to stay relevant and on subject. It's really a joy to read, so I hope you will continue.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:32   #639
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Wow, interesting thread. I do think potential buyers that pass around low ball offers on sight unseen boats should be considered as little more than time wasters and treated accordingly. Anyone who is serious about a particular boat and feels the price is within the ballpark and budget will make an effort to inspect or ask for very detailed information at the very least. Why wouldn't they?
Whilst I agree with you, dealing with people who are not going to buy does fall into the neccesary evil of kissing a lot of frogs!

I would consider it extremely foolish to ignore any contact, including a low ball sight unseen offer. That doesn't mean rolling out the Red carpet, simply responding politely....using the power of cut & paste for a standard response:

"Thanks a lot for your interest, but am looking for offers close to the asking price because she is already well priced to reflect condition, age and location.

If you wish to reconsider your offer in the future and want to visit the vessel or have her surveyed please let me know and I will be happy to help. In the interim I enclose some more photos of the vessel".

For 30 seconds of " work" sending an email you MAY convert a tyre kicking dreamer into a buyer or simply be dealing with a keen buyer who is putting out feelers, about boat and you (people buy from people). Certainly less work than dealing with a "serious" buyer who actually visits and starts the buying process.....or 5 if them!

Remember you only need one buyer - holding out for a buyer who simply sends a cheque by mail for a boat unseen may (lol) lead to lengthy disappointment :-) .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:40   #640

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Perhaps instead of kissing a frog you may want to to boil a frog.

Get the initial contact sucked in and truly interested then negotiate until the agreeable price is reached.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 14:04   #641

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Wait, wait, wait..... in your opening post, you stated that you made an offer without viewing the boat or getting a survey. But now that you are on the selling end, anyone doing the same is a time waster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
So I had a choice ... make an offer without a viewing or survey, or miss what seemed like a great opportunity. I made the offer ... and it was accepted.

Matt
Old 08-09-2015, 14:17   #642

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Which are you, Goose or Gander?

I feel your pain, harden up. Focus on what you have learn't & the satisfaction of "swimming against the tide" of practicality.
I have a ten year project rebuild that could have bought me three similar boats.
Its like climbing a mountain. Make the view worth it in your own head.
The universe does not give a fark about any of it.

It doesn't matter whether you are still reading this or not. It is as much for my benefit as anyone else.

I walked my 3yro grandson around the foredeck for the first time on the W/E & his eyes were wide. I was telling him what the purpose of each fitting was. The head hatch was described as for dousing the spinnaker down. "No" sayes Kasey, "thats Kaseys hatch to get to Kaseys room" (V birth)
Pure Gold if you let it be.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 14:38   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I walked my 3yro grandson around the foredeck for the first time on the W/E & his eyes were wide. I was telling him what the purpose of each fitting was. The head hatch was described as for dousing the spinnaker down. "No" sayes Kasey, "thats Kaseys hatch to get to Kaseys room" (V birth)
Magic! That's worth a year's work all on its own.

Mind you, Kasey is gonna be peeved if YOU wet his bed with your soggy old spinnaker.
Old 16-01-2017, 13:15   #644

Boat: Pacemaker MY 40ft

Wow what a terrific story, thank you Homeless.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 10:45   #645

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I know this thread is a goner, but, yes, he bought unseen with a lowball bid, then gets angry when someone else tries to do the same thing? What a hypocrite! I did not really go for his impatience to travel in a leaky tub, but his determination in hunting then repairing leaks and wiring isses, as well as resolving engine concerns was nothing short of inspirational. Too bad he turned into a snob along the way. Maybe it is that he was not getting the major offers he had already spent in his mind (or promised to the Admiral?). Still, one heck of a thread, and deserves a place in the annals of CF stickies... I am of mixed mind on this one, but a heckuva read.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule