Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 18:58   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Bringing Teak Cabin Floor Back to Life???

Good Morning

My recently purchased 'Cheoy Lee Offshore' has an extensively timbered interior in need of rejuvenation. In regards to the Teak flooring, how do I best bring back the shine? Do I sand down, stain and varnish?? simply wash and varnish?
And what products work best on Teak please :?:
It's a fairly open question people may have different experiences depending on the extent of restoration required.

Obviously I could inquire at my local chandlery/supplier, however obviously they will try to sell their products.

Any replies and advice are appreciated.

Cheers
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 19:22   #2

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft
Re: Bringing Teak cabbin floor back to life???

I'm getting ready to do exactly the same thing, my Teak and Holly floors are in a hell of a mess due to some really messy and careless workers....the major refit is finally finished and all that's left to do is the bloody floors...so, look forward to reading the replies from all the experts......
Old 20-05-2014, 19:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Look at any basketball court....
It's glossy but largely nonstick
Sand, seal, and varnish using gym floor varnish. There was a marine product called ultimate sole that was great but it was very similar to non marine gym products such as

http://www.parish-supply.com/gym-flo...sh-system.aspx

Cheaper, too!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 19:32   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

If the cabin sole is ok, no moisture damaged or delaminated consider strip the old finish and aply 2 coats of thin epoxy, west system my pref for this job and few coats of poly varnish ,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 19:36   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Do it once and do it right! Sand down to bare wood, treat with a pre-varnish coat and put on about 6-10 coats of high gloss spar varnish sanding very lightly between coats to get a good bond coat to coat. I know it sounds like a lot of work but believe me, you will glad you put in a little extra effort at the front end until you drop the first knife in the galley then you will want to commit hari kari. My now wife took on the project after she had bought a book on brightwork written by a woman from Seattle. It became her bible and she followed it religiously (don't recall the name but believe it was titled 'Brightwork'). The mexican guys in the marina used to drop over to ask her advice on prepping and what to use. She became to 'go-to' gal in the marinas we frequented between PV and LA. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 19:57   #6

Thanks for a few quick and helpful replies, I am sure 'Wolfy' would also be happy.
I think it is fairly obvious then that it is best to sand down the existing finish I am guessing the pre-varnish mentioned by 'Cap Phil' would be the same as the pre-epoxy coat of 'Wests' mentioned by 'neilpride'.
I am not sure of the difference between 'high gloss spar varnish' and 'poly varnish', but will look them both up.
I suppose the more coats of finishing the better, I am assuming sanding lightly using a very fine sand paper between coats.

The Gym floor varnish also seems a good idea.

Cheers
Old 20-05-2014, 20:06   #7

I'm not certain what the pre-varnish coat does other than help with the adhesion of the first varnish coat... some one more knowledgable than I could help, I'm sure.
We used spar varnish on most of our brightwork and tended to it regularly so usually just a light sand between coats.
We used a two part of some sort on the rails exposed to sun a lot. It was expensive but you could apply several coats in a day before the last coat had dried completely. Very popular in San Diego back in the 90's but the name escapes me... sorry. I recall you were unable to get it in Mexico. Phil
Old 20-05-2014, 20:16   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

For the cabin sole the best stuff is polyurethane varnish 2 comp, in my case i dont want to fill the grain with to many coats, so the epoxy seal the surface and build a clear coat to allow for litle work later, i put 4 coats of epifanes 2 comp clear varnish , after 5 years its still shining...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 20:36   #9

Thanks guys

I have just checked online 'high gloss spar varnish' such as 'feastWatson' is a
polyurethane varnish. Approximately $65.00 per ltr (Australia) covering 20-25 sq mtrs.

Epifanes is a teak specific varnish from what I have found. This appears to come in one comp or two comp.

I think either sounds a good proposition. Searching online, 'spar varnish' being readily available at chandleries such as 'Whitworths' in Australia.

So, I think stripping down, a sealing coat, and several coats of a polyurethane varnish is the go.

Cheers
Old 20-05-2014, 20:56   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

You don't want gloss for cabin sole, you want a satin finish. With gloss trim.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 21:10   #11

That was a thought of mine also 'minaret', gloss or satin finish ? Possibly high gloss may be a bit much? May also depend on the yacht?

I am assuming by gloss trim, you are talking about surrounding internal timber fittings/trim?

Cheers
Old 20-05-2014, 21:36   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoyLee39 View Post
That was a thought of mine also 'minaret', gloss or satin finish ? Possibly high gloss may be a bit much? May also depend on the yacht?

I am assuming by gloss trim, you are talking about surrounding internal timber fittings/trim?

Cheers

Yes. Satin will hide imperfections better, wear better, and most important, not create the possibility of blinding glare. Plus it looks "right" done that way.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 23:09   #13

That makes sense I think. I will most likely go with that suggestion as far as finish goes, satin on the cabin floor/sole, and gloss for fittings, as there are a few.

I think with all that information supplied by helpful people, it has made it very much clearer, and it is possible to go ahead with the job in the next few weeks.

I also need to replace a few sections of paneling, but that's another story

Cheers
Old 21-05-2014, 07:08   #14

Re: Bringing Teak Cabin Floor Back to Life???

Minaret's advice is sound... I would agree with the satin as opposed to the gloss approach. Anything that neilpride advises is far more important to follow than what I could suggest. It is great to know there are such generous and sound contributors on CF. Cheers, Phil

Tags
cabin