Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 10:30   #16

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Bringing the shine back on gel coat

If you want a complete tutorial look here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...0without%20one.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:32   #17

quick and dirty method: WD 40 and a rag
radsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:33   #18
Marine Service Provider

I had it done to my Leopard 47 PowerCat in the BVI for $800 one time and a $1,000 the second time. In Hawaii (not exactly a cheap place for anything) a friend's Cataline mono 40-something paid a crew of Russians about $300.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:55   #19

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsailor View Post
quick and dirty method: WD 40 and a rag
Or chrome vinyl wrap it.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:02   #20

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

20000 you having a laugh , 40 year old hull wet and dry from 600 to 1000 including 800 , good compound polish using variable speed buffer then fine polish buffer , use white head then yellow 3 m heads are the best hand rub in with carnuba wax with appropriate cloths 3 years in and still shiny hard work but never ever ever 20000 I got it so good people came and complimented it in the yard and asked how it was done, hard work and good equipment and proper compounds , I used slim Jim’s the best on the market imho , used for show cars , it works it is the way to do it , I have Asperger syndrome meaning I will research it for months before I try anything cross reference and do the best job, just me
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:17   #21

Boat: O'Day 26

Unless the 2006 boat has been seriously neglected over the past 14 years, I would not think wet-sanding would be the proper choice to remove the chalking causing by oxidation of the gelcoat. Neither would I recommend the use of PolyGlow, or TSRW if a similar product. If I understand the product correctly, PolyGlow does not serve to remove oxidation but simply places a glossy coating over the dull gelcoat - more work down the road.

As others has suggested, my recommendation would be to remove the oxidation using a rubbing compound. The selection of the grit in the compound being dependent upon the extent of the oxidation. If not certain, I would not start with the strongest compound on the market (you state the gelcoat is "looking rather dull") but test an area with a rubbing compound less than a strong cutting compound used for automotive finishes. While you obviously do not wish to compound the entire hull of a 44 foot boat with something less than a product that will do the job, neither do you want to cut any deeper into the gelcoat than is necessary to remove oxidation.

After proper compounding, I also recommend a polish prior to application of a good wax. Over the years, the best wax I have found is the paste wax, Collinite 885 Fleetwax. Contrary to what you may have heard, you need not spend a small fortune on a random orbital buffer, but you may want to hire a relative or good friend to assist due to size of the hull. Best wishes!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:23   #22

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...ff-wax.117266/

Could be a repeat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:26   #23

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderd View Post
............the Marina quoted 12 grand to compound and wax both the hull and topside............. wondering if wet sanding might be easier and quicker than compounding.
Suggest finding boat guys at your marina and on craigslist for lower price quotes. You are on the right track with wet sanding, in addition to compounding followed by waxing and polishing.

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/remove-...rine-gel-coat/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 13:00   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Poliglow

Waxing is for machostics with too much time on their hands. My 20 year old boat is shiney and hasn't been bluffed in 10 years or waxed in 5 years.
Old 06-01-2021, 13:24   #25

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
.....Waxing is for machostics with too much time on their hands. My 20 year old boat is shiney and hasn't been bluffed in 10 years or waxed in 5 years.
Curious what treatment stays shiny for 10 years without waxing in 5 years outdoors. I had a correct craft sport nautique that stayed that way for the 20 years, but it was stored inside.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 13:52   #26

Boat: O'Day 34

I think I borrowed this from Mainsail.
36 year old chalky 34’ boat. I hand wet sanded with 1500 grit then lightly buffed with Mcguires fine polish till shiny. Then hand waxed with Scotchguard marine wax and removed wax with a microfiber cloth. This year it took me 4 hours to clean and wax the entire hull
After 3 years I clean and wax it once a year while it’s still shiny. I constantly get comments on how the boat looks like new.
Before I wet sanded I buffed and buffed without shiny results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5EDB5FB8-6E53-4CBF-A1A3-E8FF76455A46.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	230013  
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 15:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
If you want a complete tutorial look here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...0without%20one.
I really try to not reference other sites but I was going to post this as well. It’s older but a great resource - I used most of the advice found in this article and brought a very neglected boat back from an awful state. When done it looked amazing better than new but be clear it was a ton of time and effort. Results will be worth it.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 15:35   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Curious what treatment stays shiny for 10 years without waxing in 5 years outdoors. I had a correct craft sport nautique that stayed that way for the 20 years, but it was stored inside.
guess you didn't read the post before quoting it
Old 06-01-2021, 17:43   #29
tmw

I have a 2006 dark green hull and it fades fast no matter how many times and how hard I compound. This fall we had unseasonably warm weather after I hauled out in November. I thought I would get a head start on spring work and sanded. At the recommendation of the yard I dry sanded with Mirka abranet and bought the matching mirka sander. Bit costly but well worth it. The abrasive is a mesh so it doesn't clog as fast. It lasts much longer and you can sand dry making it all very fast and with the matching sander its perfectly clean using the vac. I didn't even need a mask or coveralls. I get more dust from compounding and waxing. The attached photos show the completed area sanded from 400-1000, compounded and wax. The boat is 36 feet and that was basically about 5 hours of work over 2 days.

I was always afraid to do but I was surprised how easy it was with the right tools

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201106_130845.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	230028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201106_160533.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	230029  

tmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 19:45   #30

Lots of great advice out there. The boat has not been terribly neglected. Until moving to Florida 7 years ago we wintered on the hard and waxed annually. Two coats of wax each time. Even after our move we managed a coat of wax every year to year and a half. It’s now been about 2 1/2 years since it’s seen wax. It’s a white hull, dull not chalky. Sounds like a buffing project not a wet sanding job. Thanks for everyone’s comments.
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote