Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 22:39   #16

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Re: Bristol 34 Mast Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Mike no need to remove it it will lock in place just like it does in dirt for a fence post. I know this does not at first sound like a good idea but if you open your mind and think about it, it makes perfect sense. Aluminum will and does corrode in the bilge it is not as strong and requires careful support. Fiberglass and epoxy have great tensile strength but not so great compressive strength. The concrete is just the opposite. And it will not corrode at all what could be better? I did not think it was a good idea at first either but i have seen it done and know it works well and the more you think about it the more it makes sense just got to get over the idea that is is not a boat building material. Sometimes it helps to think out of the box.

Wayne Canning, AMS
Wayne, great thinking out of the box. I am considering using cement to repair my corroded steel mast step. I will neutralize the rust with isophosphoric acid, osphos in the USA. Instead of water, I will mix in a polymer commonly available in the building industry. The polymer makes the cement waterproof and will prevent the existing steel from rusting. Without this, additional rust may compromise the cement but not in my lifetime.
If cement works for foundation piles it will work for a mast step. Also adds a little ballast in exactly the right place. Glad to see I am not alone with this concept
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast