Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 01:25   #16
cruiser

Re: Broken Seacock handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've always heard you shouldn't mix a Marlon seacock with a bronze thru hull as they have different rates of expansion and contraction. Is this true or is it common practice? To me one of the benefits of going with the Marlon seacock and Marlon thru hull is the lack of metal underwater.
Our boat has naval bronze thru hulls with Marlon seacock valves, no issue at all, infact there's less to go wrong. The only issue I've run into was durng the installation, when a fellow who was helping me over-tightened the Marlon valves onto the thru hulls, which resulted in cracking a few of the valves. Using plenty of teflon tape is what needs to be done, not cranking down on them with a wrench.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 07:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You should be able to get the broken stem out with needle nose pliers, dig it out with an ice pick, or run a screw into the stub and pull it out by the screw head.

If the valve was fully opened or closed little or no water would cone in. With it partially open I would expect some water. Don't panic, you've got a long time before the boat sinks. Try to get some lubricant on the ball. Replace the stem. Attach the handle. Work the valve a few times and you should be good to go.

Here is the contact info for Forspar. Talk to them first and order the parts.
Contacting Customer Service

Here is a neat gadget that takes a lot of the scary out of changing seacocks in the water.
Seabung Breach Control
Thanks Hopcar. That Seabung is a stroke of genius, but since I cannot open the valve I don't think I can push it through. I suppose I could pry it open but I think I will just put on a wetsuit and take a dive. I suppose a soft wooden plug will work well enough? I will call Forespar and get more info and just change it out. My only concern is the thru-hull. It is likely old and I hope it doesn't crack. In regard to prying out the broken piece of the stem, no go. The stem on the body of the valve is male, the handle is female. So there is no stem left on the valve to grab onto...as far as I can see.

Really appreciate the help all, gives me confidence to take on this project.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:57   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Thanks Hopcar. That Seabung is a stroke of genius, but since I cannot open the valve I don't think I can push it through. I suppose I could pry it open but I think I will just put on a wetsuit and take a dive. I suppose a soft wooden plug will work well enough? I will call Forespar and get more info and just change it out. My only concern is the thru-hull. It is likely old and I hope it doesn't crack. In regard to prying out the broken piece of the stem, no go. The stem on the body of the valve is male, the handle is female. So there is no stem left on the valve to grab onto...as far as I can see.

Really appreciate the help all, gives me confidence to take on this project.
Just stuff some foam rubber or even a sponge up from the outside, that should plug it well enough to get the job done. Just as long as a larger amount remains on the outside of the hull and the pressure doesnt force it through. No need to get fancy, even an old rag will do.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote