Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 11:20   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Bubbles in my Epoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
You're missing the point

The exothermic reaction does not cause out gassing. The air is entrained during the mixing process.

If it solidifies after all the air has migrated out your ok.
If is solidifies before the air migrated out you get bubbles and foam.

Cure times via accelerants and ambient temperature are independent from the above.

You have no clue about boatbuilding.

The exothermic reaction causes smoke, fire and bubbles.

Further, laminating epoxy can't have air entrapped.

Stop trying to pretend the little bit of epoxy you're using at work has anything to do with using batches of the size we build boats with.

You have zero boat building experience. It immediately bubbles to the surface. And if you're using an egg beater to introduce bubbles while mixing, that's just plain weird. Stirring with a stick like the rest of the world means no bubbles.

Get back to me after you mix enough to fill a 2 liter soda bottle with fast hardener and leave it in the corner of the shop where you're making these little toys.

After the fire department comes, check for bubbles.

You aren't even using the same epoxy we use if you can create bubbles that stay in it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 06:50   #17

Boat: Camelot - Islander 37

I had the same problem and the cure I came up with was to apply the epoxy on falling temperatures. Changing from applying the resin early in the morning to late in the afternoon solved the bubble problem as the bubbles inherent in the mix are contracting with falling temps rather than expanding.
Cowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:19   #18

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I remember when mixing that the resin was getting whiter and it looked like there were bubbles in the epoxy. It looked like the bubbles were growing like CO2 in soda. It was foaming as I mixed it.

When I came back the next day to sand it the finished epoxy was full of air pockets like foam rubber. I filled the voids with liquid epoxy and then glassed over the plug.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy