Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 13:38   #16

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Building a new swim platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Before you go to all that work, didja do what Jim suggested in post #3? . . . ie: "Just out of curiosity, have you given the grate itself the 'soggy barefoot' test?"
'Twould be a real bummer to find you can't stand on it with wet feet after putting so much effort into building it.
I already answered this question in one of my replies. Yes I have. We have this same material in the plants I manage, and when I was first thing king about using this stuff, I did exactly that to insure it is comfortable working walk on with waterlogged pruned up feet. Thanks for the concern. Effort is something that I have a lot of. It's the thousand here, five thousand there that I try to stay away from,.And so far, I've got a total of about $168.00 into this project and about 20 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_163914.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	147008  
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 13:42   #17

Boat: J/42

Our marina ramps are made of that stuff. I don't enjoy walking barefoot on it, but I can, with care. The dogs take some persuading.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 13:55   #18

It's not explained what you are trying to achieve, but one option would be to use D section rubber fendering strip often used on the gunwhale of dinghies.
Would give you a user friendly edge, with a little impact absorption.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 17:55   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I already answered this question in one of my replies. Yes I have. We have this same material in the plants I manage, and when I was first thing king about using this stuff, I did exactly that to insure it is comfortable working walk on with waterlogged pruned up feet. Thanks for the concern. Effort is something that I have a lot of. It's the thousand here, five thousand there that I try to stay away from,.And so far, I've got a total of about $168.00 into this project and about 20 hours.
Sorry about that, I guess I missed it in #2 post. I presume the teak grid in this last post of yours is the original grid? Why are you replacing it? It looks ok in the picture. Why do you say its coming to the end of its life? Teak can last forever if cared for. Did you know teak decking can still be seen on the Bismark and the Titanic? Maybe not in pristine condition, but it's still there all the same.
Personally, I don't know how anyone could believe a plastic grid will ever come close to looking as good as Teak.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 00:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
This is exactly what I was leaning towards, as Im going to have some fairing work to do anyway, but I have also been pondering the idea of running a piece of rub rail channel around the thing with a rope insert too. Just don't know yet which is why I'm looking for suggestions. BTW, Thanks for the suggestion .
It's been a pleasure.

Have you looked over this thread ?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...=swim+platform
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Sorry about that, I guess I missed it in #2 post. I presume the teak grid in this last post of yours is the original grid? Why are you replacing it? It looks ok in the picture. Why do you say its coming to the end of its life? Teak can last forever if cared for. Did you know teak decking can still be seen on the Bismark and the Titanic? Maybe not in pristine condition, but it's still there all the same.
Personally, I don't know how anyone could believe a plastic grid will ever come close to looking as good as Teak.
No problem. The decision to not rebuild the teak deck was made due to the fact that every single piece of overlapping teak that make up the grating on it would have to be replaced. This is something that I'd need a complete wood shot to do. I don't have one available to me or is there one on the island of Anguilla. I had a shop on St. Maarten quote me a price of $4,600. to complete the work of making the dozens of 3/8" bi-directional interlocking teak strips that make up the teak grid, and I'd still be the one having to put them all together and doing the rebuild. Now I can't​ say for everyone on this board but for me, that's a lot of money for the materials to do a platform repair, so this is where my decision was made to build a new one.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
It's been a pleasure.

Have you looked over this thread ?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...=swim+platform
No I hadn't read this thread. Thanks​ for putting up the link..
Old 05-05-2017, 06:23   #23

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

I would never use this product for a swim deck. It will cut you even if you sand it down. I have it in bilge it's great for that, but I have to be careful because it hurts.:
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote