Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2022, 07:58   #31

Re: Building a sailing dinghy

We've been looking for a nesting dinghy for our Hylas 49 as we want to store it on the foredeck and will not use our davits due to the config of the windvane. We like the Spindrift but REALLY like the PT11. Seemingly the PT11 will take a motor and we're going with the Torqueedo 1103. The 39 lb motor will cause us to move forward in the boat when using the motor to keep the trim correct, and we'll add a wood block to spread the forces/load on the transom. There will only be 2 of us and RARELY more than 4 that we need to taxi to and from the boat. Another goal is to remove the gas engine and the hassles of the maintenance, fluids (gas and oils) on the boat, noise, pollution, finding good gas in remote locations and scaring away wildlife. We are not concerned about having a fast taxi to and from shore. We do want a good rowing and sailing dinghy for entertainment and exercise. If we want to go farther away to explore, we'll row or sail and then use the motor when appropriate. We'll see how it works and if we feel the same in 2 years.

Check out this video from Leo on Tally Ho about the PT11.

James

VitaNova
Hylas49, #58
LostSailor1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 10:09   #32

Boat: Tartan 3800

Can't go wrong with the PT-11.

Be sure you're aware of the limitations of the Torqueedo. These have been covered elsewhere but in short the lower unit is easily damaged by contact with the seabed while beaching, and parts availability and warranty service have been poor in some parts of the world. Part of the problem is the difficulty of shipping large lithium batteries by air which means that there is no straightforward way to get them to island locations.
Old 16-11-2022, 03:44   #33

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

A Walkey Bay 8 (for one person) or 10 (for 2 people) rows and sails quite well for a small boat. It can carry a 3 hp engine. For under a $k used, they are a bargain. Something to use while you build our own.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 04:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Building a sailing dinghy

https://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/plans...nderly-dinghy/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tenderly-clinker-sailing-dinghy-5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	267552  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 16:55   #35

Boat: Grampian 26

Suggest you look at Nutshell pram from Wooden Boat. very stable, easy to row, tows well. An outboard would have to be offset but a lovely craft.

Best Don
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 17:35   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

When I built my big boat, it came with plans for a wood pram that could be built from two sheets of 1/4" thick 4x8 plywood and some oak lumber.

So I built it. Naturally, it was quite light. I could pick up the finished boat with one hand.

It was small, 8' does not provide for much space. 2 people tops. It had a center board and a small sail and rudder which could be taken off.
Getting in...and out of it requires a keen sense of balance.
It sailed reasonably well, but it's a smooth water sailor at best.

To tell the truth...it was a good dink for kids, but really has no place on a sailboat as a ship's tender. Two adults could get in it, but you better have dancing feet.
I had oars for it, but no motor, although a small 2 hp would be ample power.

It was fun to build it, but it didn't take me long to get a bigger and more stable dink, a 10' fiberglass dink. Also with sails. It was a giant leap up from the wood pram, but still had many shortcomings as a ship's tender.

Soon after, I bit the bullet and got an inflatable. Hands down, more suited for a ship's tender.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing