Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 08:24   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Bulk head hole repair advice

This is a hole in the lazerette in the bulkhead leading to the compartment below the cockpit which is largely filled with foam.

It was caused by water weeping through the mounting holes for the engine control and pooling near the bulkhead causing the underlying wood to rot.

I could just
1. I could just lay some fiber glass over this hole. I think I'll leave a weep hole at the bottom so an inspection will reveal pooling water.
2. I could place some sort of hard panel inside near the foam. Glue it in place somehow. Then Fiber glass over it.
3. Cut out a larger more regular size hole and add a panel and fiber glass.

Any better ideas appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holeInStbdLocker_sm.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	274980  
Old 04-05-2023, 08:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Bulk head hole repair advice

One word....ok...more than one word....WEST System epoxy. you can add all sorts of filler additives to it...to thicken it up....microballoons, etc
The epoxy can be purchased in little sachets at most marine stores for small projects like this.
You can paint it on using a small brush. The epoxy will seal the wood against further water intrusion.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:25   #3

Okay granted West system epoxy have it on hand I can use it it works okay. I'm just wondering about the foam do I add more foam or do I just patch over the hole. I think I'll make a hole in the bottom of this bulkhead so that water can drain out and not pool behind the bulkhead. I have to make so many decisions.
When I am done I'll post a photo to this thread.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Okay granted West system epoxy have it on hand I can use it it works okay. I'm just wondering about the foam do I add more foam or do I just patch over the hole. I think I'll make a hole in the bottom of this bulkhead so that water can drain out and not pool behind the bulkhead. I have to make so many decisions.
When I am done I'll post a photo to this thread.
And I have to deal with the throttle which is the cause of the leak and to fear that part out I don't know what to do.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Option C for me. Also glass in a small piece of plastic tube through the bulkhead low down so it can drain somewhere else you can access and deal with.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:51   #6

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Hi Tom,
Could you post a picture of the throttle mounting area topsides and a picture of the lazarette bulkhead that shows size/scale of the area that needs repair? I am hoping that a couple more pictures will give others more visual clues to better advise you.

Have you poked around/tapped with a hammer/ determined how much lazarette bulkhead is needing to be replaced?
Old 07-05-2023, 11:09   #7

If I'm seeing it correctly, it's a wood bulkhead with rot inside, at the tabbing to the hull...?
Short of properly replacing the tabbing and part of the bulkhead, I would clean the rot out, fill it with something like maybe Kitty Hair, and put a marine plywood doubler bolted over that lower part of the bulkhead. Not pretty but it's in a locker.
If you feel it's not structural, then just clean and fill with kitty hair, smooth out and paint.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 19:17   #8

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

You still should cut out the rot.

Even though epoxy is a miracle material, I have built 4 boats with it, I would still get rid of the rotten ply.

Tap on the ply with the head of a large screwdriver. It will sound duller where the interior laminates have become rotten. Get out a multitool and cut away all of the rotten plywood. Keep cutting until you get all of the interior plywood veneers nice and dry. Then use epoxy to glue in a new piece to fill the cutout. A backing plate of ply is a good idea if the hole is more than about 50 x 50mm. You can use glass instead of the ply.

When cutting the new hole, either pass a piece of PVC tube through and epoxy this, epoxy LOVES sticking to PVC, and thread the tube through the PVC. Or drill a slightly large oversize hole and paint epoxy (I thicken it slightly with silica) into the hole. Then redrill with smaller bit for tube.

Epoxy won't remedy the weakness that rot makes. I always get vigorous and cut the rot away. I never regret it when I have done it.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, head, repair